Author Topic: Terrified, confused and deaf  (Read 3187 times)

AmandaLeighCecilia

Terrified, confused and deaf
« on: January 07, 2016, 05:01:49 pm »
I've been dealing with SSD (Single Sided Deafness) since October of 2015.  I found myself feeling alone, unable to talk to my friends or family as they all tell me to "suck it up" or "it could always be worse". And I know that it can be worse but I'm also having to make decisions that are terrifying to read about let alone live with for the rest of my life. My doctor has recommended the CROS aid or the BAHA implant, after doing extensive research on both, I find myself leaning towards the BAHA implant.

I have slight OCD so now my brain has kicked into overdrive and I keep looking at pictures and videos of the operations and then I freak myself out and read about people that have had complications due to it. I guess I'm just looking to talk to people that have had to face the trials and tribulations that I have and if the pros out way the cons as far as the BAHA implant goes.
What should I expect after the surgery (pain, bleeding, oozing, rejection, infection)?
How did your family and friends react to it?
Do I tell people upfront that I have one, or just wait to see if they ask about it?
I have long hair does it affect the quality of sound if my hair covers it?
Can I wear hats and headbands again?

I feel like I have a million questions that could keep going, has anyone else gone through this alone?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Terrified, confused and deaf
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 08:17:44 pm »
Hi AmandaLeighCecilia .....

Many of us on this forum can fully understand being SSD when no one else but others who are SSD can understand.

My Oticon Medical Ponto abutment was implanted during my second AN surgery, during which I knew I would be deaf in my AN ear from the translab surgery.  That being said, there are many others who have had the implant done as a separate procedure.  You might want to look into the newer less invasive implant surgery.  See:  http://www.oticonmedical.com/about-oticon-medical/News/ponto-bhx-implant.aspx#.Vo8bhpMrJBw

I had no bleeding, oozing, rejection nor infection of my implant.  There was initially pain from the overall translab surgery, which basically was gone in a week to 10 days.

My family and friends, who knew about it were all excited about the prospects of my being able to have better hearing.  Sometimes I tell people I have a BAHS, if I am in a noisy situation and having difficulty sorting out where the sound is coming from.  Many times people are totally unaware I have a hearing issue.

Hair over my processor has no affect unless I touch it directly.  Sometimes a very strong wind will make it whistle or if the hood on a jacket gets too snugly onto it.

Hats and headbands have to be able to go over or under it.  Sometimes the abutment can be placed accordingly ..... it all depends upon where you have strong, solid skull bone.  I would take my favorite hat or headband to a pre-op appointment and ask if you have a choice on placement.

This forum is full of support so ask away and someone will answer your many questions.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011