Author Topic: Request for Physician References in FL  (Read 9131 times)

MPF

Request for Physician References in FL
« on: November 10, 2015, 11:59:14 am »
Hello - newly diagnosed and exploring treatment options. While I had a consult at Mass Eye and Ear and was very pleased with the physician, I would like to consider 2nd opinions in my home state. Tampa Bay area preferred but open to suggestions state-wide.

Many thanks!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Request for Physician References in FL
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 12:18:59 pm »
Hi MPF and welcome to this forum .....

If you have not already done so, you might want to check out the anausa.org full web site for additional information.  This link will take you directly to the section on selecting a physician, as well as links to state directories.  https://www.anausa.org/resources/medical-resources/selecting-a-medical-professional

Keep in mind that the ANA does not endorse any particular physician, but gives you some direction for selecting a physician with extensive experience treating specifically acoustic neuroma.

Also, if you have not already done so, it would be good to send for the free information packet.  See:  https://www.anausa.org/contact-us

Best wishes and let us know how else we might be able to help you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

lisav

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 12:53:35 pm »
Hello. I saw Dr. Agazzi at USF Health and he will be doing my surgery at Tampa General. He has done many surgeries and took the time to meet with me and answer all of my questions. He answered my email questions as well. He was recommended to me by my primary doctor and local neurologists who say he is the best in this area.  I am not sure if he does radiation or not. Good luck.
Diagnosed 9-14-2015
1.5x1.6x1.2 cm
2nd MRI on 1-18-2016 now 2.20 cm
Translab scheduled for 2-22-16
Tampa General with Dr. Agazzi and Dr. Allen.

alabamajane

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 07:52:41 am »
Hi MPF,
I don't know how close to Gainesville you are,, but at Univ. FL there is a Dr William Friedman who is well recognized.
This may be an option for another opinion if feasible.

Best of luck to you. Clarice also has excellent suggestions as usual.
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

MPF

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 09:18:50 am »
Many thanks to all and good luck Lisa V. Mpf

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 08:26:44 pm »
Stay away from Dr. Fred Teleschi at Univ. of Miami - he decided to cut my facial nerve even though the tumor 'lifted easily' off the facial nerve - a complete idiot.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

KJOlszyk

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 06:48:33 pm »
Yes I also would go with Dr Agazzi as well as Bartels Danner and or Allen from Tampa Hearing and Balance.   I had translab Sept 1 at TGH for removal of my 2.5mm Left side AN.    Very experienced teams and I am so glad they were so close to home as I live in S Tampa

Good luck!   
43 yo Woman, Tampa, FL
2.7 cm x 2.0 cm Left Side AN
Diag by MRI July 2015
Translab Surguery Sept 2015
- Drs Agazzi (Neorosurgeon) Bartels and Allen (Neotologists)
-Tampa General Hosp

lisav

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 11:33:30 am »
I am so glad you had a great experience with Dr. Agazzi and Dr. Allen. I feel very confident with them. How are you doing now? I will be having translab on 2-22-2016. I live 2 hours away so will spend the night on Sunday and surgery is on Monday at 7:30.
Diagnosed 9-14-2015
1.5x1.6x1.2 cm

CelesteMarie

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 07:16:12 pm »
Hi Lisav!
I met with Dr. Allen last month & Dr Agazzi this past Monday. I was very impressed with them both. What made you chose surgery or was it an option? Dr Agazzi recommended translabyrinthine for me. Just wanted to see if you had choice to do Cyberknife too & what made you choose surgery. I'm trying to get to a comfortable decision  :). It's not easy! I wish you lots of luck on your surgery next week!

lisav

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 06:40:39 am »
Hi Celeste! Dr. Agazzi recommended the translab surgery over anything else I think because my hearing was almost gone and the tumor was too big for radiation and was already pressing against my brain stem.  I felt comfortable with his recommendation after reading the pros and cons of translab and reading other peoples' experiences with it. I also read about every other option and I felt translab was the best choice before I even went to the first appointment with him.  Dr. Agazzi also assured me that they will do everything to protect the facial nerve. I am healthy and in good shape and fairly young (I call 47 young) so I think that will help too. My surgery is scheduled for this Monday the 22nd. I am very nervous but I just keep telling myself that I need to do it otherwise it will only keep growing and getting worse so I am keeping a positive outlook. Dr. Agazzi, Dr. Allen and Dr. Agazzi's nurse have answered every crazy question I have asked with patience, have emailed me back and have called back when I have left messages. Right now I think it is just a mental thing of "oh my gosh I am having brain surgery" that I am dealing with. Take care.
Diagnosed 9-14-2015
1.5x1.6x1.2 cm

CelesteMarie

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 05:36:20 pm »
Thanks for the info Lisav! Dr Agazzi told me my tumor was too close to the brain stem to safely radiate. My hearing is already totally gone in that ear too so he recommended translab. He was so patient & answered every question of mine too & gave me his email address. Like you, am 42 years young & in good health & shape so I'm definitely considering going with his recommendation! I'm just scared of the surgery since all I have ever been through is getting my tonsils out when I was 4 and don't remember much of that! Lol I hope that you post updates after your surgery! I wish you the best & would love to hear how your doing. I'm scared too but knowing someone who has chosen the same docs I went to is comforting. I got a great feeling from them both. Dr. Agazzi has a stellar reputation!:)

lisav

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 10:29:47 am »
Thanks CelesteMarie. I will update sometime next week how I am doing. I am at peace with all of this. I know I need the surgery and Dr. Agazzi definitely knows what he is doing. But if you want to send me some good vibes Monday morning I will take them! :)
Diagnosed 9-14-2015
1.5x1.6x1.2 cm

CelesteMarie

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 06:41:46 pm »
You got it for sure!!  :) :)

CelesteMarie

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 02:52:16 pm »
Been thinking of you Lisav and hope that all went well with your surgery! Looking forward to your update! I saw on your other post that you used to live in Cleveland. I was born & raised in Canton! My husband and I moved to Sanford in 1999! Small world! Anyway, positive thoughts for you & speedy recovery!

lisav

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 06:13:10 pm »
Hey Celeste  just wanted to update you on my surgery. Dr, Agazzi and Dr. Allen were amazing, they got the whole tumor out and didn't compromise any facial function. There were no beds available in nero icu so I went to other one. Every one there was so nice too. Both doctors saw me before going into surgery, when I was in recovery and both days that I was there . Yes that means I am now home. I am still dizzy and off balance so I have a walker.  No issues with a spinal fluid leak. I plan on resting and walking a lot.  I am truly thankful that my surgery went well and that my recovery so far is good. I think being in good shape and taking care or myself helped too. Please keep me updated about your situation. Thanks for the vibes-they helped!
Diagnosed 9-14-2015
1.5x1.6x1.2 cm