The mission of the Acoustic Neuroma Association is to inform, educate and provide national and local support networks for those affected by acoustic neuromas, and to be an essential resource for health care professionals who treat acoustic neuroma patients. When initially diagnosed, few patients have a clear idea of where to turn in their selection of a qualified medical professional for treatment of their tumor. In October of 2001 the ANA Board of Directors adopted the following statement:
ANA recommends treatment from a medical team with substantial acoustic neuroma experience.
The ANA Board of Directors are now providing more specific guidelines for patients in selecting a qualified medical professional for the treatment of an acoustic tumor. The following criteria are recommended:
1. The physician must have Board eligibility or Certification in the related specialty, neurosurgery, otolaryngology, radiation oncology or ophthalmology.
2. The physician must have received specialized training or must have significant ongoing practice experience related to acoustic neuroma treatment.
3. The treating physician must use a team approach for treatment, with access to a team or referrals, with the individual having access to all members of the team. Other medical professionals should be involved in the treatment plan. In the case of surgery, an otological and neurological team should be used. In radiosurgery, a team should consist of the radiation oncologist, neurosurgeon or neurotologist, and radiation physicist. A rehabilitation specialist should be made available for all treatment options if necessary.
4. The physician must have demonstrated expertise and recent experience, and should be willing to share the number of cases and outcomes with the patient.
5. The physician must show multi-disciplinary cooperation. The physician should be willing to talk about all treatment modes, i.e. surgery, radiation and observation.
6. The physician must have interest in acoustic tumor treatment as demonstrated by attendance at meetings and publications in peer review journals.
7. The physician must demonstrate support of ANAUSA and have information about ANA available in his/her office.
To select a Physician click HERE
To select a Medical Center click HERE