Author Topic: New Symptom  (Read 5083 times)

eyeamneone

New Symptom
« on: October 18, 2006, 12:36:53 pm »
I've recently lost sense of taste.  It's only on the right side of my tongue (the same side as my tumor and numbness/tingling).  Anyone else experience this?  I'm one week away from surgery and am getting really nervous. 

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: New Symptom
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 01:15:01 pm »
I got that after my surgery.  The facial nerve controls the function of the front 2/3 of your tongue.  I lost taste and it's kinda numb, and I can't curl my tongue anymore.  It's slowly coming back, so hopefully yours will as well once you get that tumor off of there.

Good luck on your surgery!  Where are you having it?  How big is your tumor?
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 01:18:56 pm »
I dont' think it's an unusual thing to happen before surgery as I've read others on here who have had that problem.  Like Gennysmom said..hopefully after surgery you'll have it all come back!

eyeamneone

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 02:54:13 pm »
My tumor is around 3 cm in size.  I'm going to have the surgery here in Chicago. 

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 03:03:34 pm »
So very similar to me!  Mine was right too.  It's a weird feeling.  Best of luck to you on your upcoming surgery, you will do fine.  I'm three 1/2 months out, and the first couple weeks were the hardest, but really, it was not as bad as I had imagined.  I had 24 hour support for 7 weeks, and that made all the difference in the world to me.  All I had to do was ask for what I needed and work on healing myself.  Have you tried chewing gum with your tongue that way?  Very weird.

kathleen
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

eyeamneone

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 05:01:35 am »
Yes, chewing gum is weird.  The good thing is that I have cut way down on adding sugar to my stuff.  I can't really taste it anyway!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 06:17:09 am »
Absolutely!   Decreased taste plus a weird metallic - like taste on the right side.   Some foods are easier to taste like bitter foods.  Unfortunately for me steak doesn't have a strong taste AND I LOVE STEAK!!!!   (you'd think I'd lose some weight????)
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 08:21:27 am »
  I hope you're keeping your Doctors informed about any changes in symptoms.  They may indicate some further nerve impingment.   The Doctors could decide to start steroid treatment early, before surgery, to forstall any potential nerve damage.  Give your Doctor a call to help ease your concerns.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 08:49:42 am »
Oh Dear,

More to consider!  That is really good information and a thought, Rob.  I'm highly allergic to steroids so, I wonder if anything else could help.  (and I wonder what they will do with me after CK since I can't take steroids)  To tell you the truth.........it seems so scary and the unknown happening!  It is like an earthquake and I have been through many, living throughout California.  Again, that is very important data, to me.

Thank you so much,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness