Author Topic: 12 days Post Op  (Read 2588 times)

Ahollo

12 days Post Op
« on: April 19, 2015, 12:22:46 pm »
It's been a while since I posted and I wanted to quickly share my experience with you all-

My surgery was April 7th at USC with Friedman and Giannotta. I cannot say enough good things about those two doctors and the importance of finding the best surgeons. In the beginning, I was scheduled for surgery at San Antonio Military Medical Center (husband is active duty) and I wanted to trust the doctors and facility here. The more I read, and the more people stressed the importance of finding the best, the more scared I became. I called family and learned that Friedman's patient navigator had her surgery with him years prior, and went to high school with my husband. Small world- we were instantly in touch with her and we ended up changing our insurance to Tricare Standard so I could have my surgery with Friedman/Giannotta.

Back to the surgery- April 7th I had translab and spent one night in ICU. I was very stiff the first night and just wanted to sit up because the hospital bed was so uncomfortable! I was sick and dizzy, but honestly not as dizzy as I thought I would be. It passed quickly and the morning of April 8th I was moved to a step down room. By that afternoon I was sitting up in a chair and walking. April 9th I was walking more and discharged by noon that day.

My husband and I stayed in Santa Monica until my post ops April 16th. We walked daily about 4-6 miles which felt so good! I noticed that busy streets bothered me, so walking in a quieter area was not as tiring. My post ops went well, and honestly, I almost hated to leave the doctors. They were truly amazing.

Today at day 12 I feel pretty good. I still have facial weakness, but it is getting better each day. Today my eye blinks in sync with the other. I feel like a bobble head, but I know that will get better. My biggest complaint is probably my face, but I was told it will come back. I feel having weak facial muscles for a little while is a small price to pay for having the tumor completely gone. I feel so relieved to have the surgery behind me and be tumor free.

I'm due to go back to work May 18, and more than likely I will. It may be a challenge adjusting to a class of 22 kids after surgery, but I think I will be OK. I do have a sub on stand by for me if I just want to come back in the afternoons instead of starting back full days. At that point in the year there are only 3 weeks of school left, so at least there is an end in sight, and I can spend the summer adjusting to being deaf in one ear. Right now, the hardest is not being able to work out like I want. The walking helps tremendously though, and I am OK doing just that the next few weeks. The deafness surprisingly does not bother me like I thought it would. Makes me think my body had compensated quite a bit before the surgery.

Everyone recovers so differently from this type of surgery. If you're stalking this page like I did once I was diagnosed, the most important thing is to find a treatment plan that you feel will work best for you and find the best doctors to help you and support you.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: 12 days Post Op
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 01:24:40 pm »
Hi Ahollo .....

It sounds like you are on track for an excellent recovery.  Congratulations!  So glad you pursued going to USC for excellent care.

Steady walking exercise, coupled with adequate rest periods between should be your motto for the next couple of weeks.  Listen to your body and you will do well, I know.

Many thoughts and prayers for continuing good recovery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Troutbc

Re: 12 days Post Op
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 03:20:49 pm »
Wow I can't believe how much you are able to walk so soon after surgery! My physical therapist told me to start at .1 miles a day and then gradually work up to more. I am 16 days post op and just did a whole mile today. I am also trying not to do too much- taking it slow, lots of rest and good nutrition, and doing my X exercises. The exhaustion is killing me though. My goal is to never walk less than I did the day before... So I will get up to your 4-6 miles soon enough! It's amazing how everyone recovers differently. I am a very active 26 year old so it's killing me not to exercise as much as I'm used to. Like you, I also have some facial weakness but it's slowly
Coming back.

I wish you the best in continued recovery- you've inspired me to push a little harder and stay positive!! Keep us updated on your back to work schedule- I'm kind of planning on June 1 to give myself about 8 weeks :) no rush in returning after a brain surgery.
26 year old female Boston,MA
3cm AN diagnosed 2/13/15. 9.5 hour retrosigmoid surgery in April 2015 with Barker/McKenna