Author Topic: Phonak State of the Art CROS II Announced.  (Read 57633 times)

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Phonak State of the Art CROS II Announced.
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 05:16:21 pm »
Ross,

Have you been able to use the Stereo Zoom when there's a lot of background noise?

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

arizonajack

Re: Phonak State of the Art CROS II
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 07:15:07 pm »
Hi Everybody.

My CROS II and Audeo V90 was ordered today and I'll have it in about 3 weeks.

I'm reviving this thread and quoting NYLady's comments (edited slightly to reflect on just the equipment) here in the hopes that Ross and NYLady will post continued progress reports in THIS thread which I will add to when I start using my new equipment.

5/5/2015 NYLady:

I am about two and a half weeks into trial with PHONAK AudeoV70 and BICROSII.  So far, I have found this system to be truly amazing.  I am SSD in the right ear and have a 70% loss in my left.  Prior to this I had been wearing Siemens Pure, which were admittedly old (about 5 years).  Was told not to change aids till about 6 months post GK as hearing would likely change (which it did).  I have gone from almost silence to being able to be part of things again.  Not perfect yet, but we are working on getting it even better.  Audio says as the euphoria of hearing once again levels out, I will become more discriminating in the sounds I prefer or can tolerate.  Right now, they still seem a bit loud and there is some distortion.  He has given me "Speech in Noise" and "Comfort in Noise" features and will add others as warranted.  I am so delighted with what I have been given that I am encouraging all my friends who "have a hearing problem"  to at least explore hearing aids.  So many are reluctant.  Technology today has produced very small devices that deliver tremendous results.  It really is life changing.  Many times our hearing loss is so gradual that we do not even realize how bad it is.

5/14/15 NYLady:

Yes, I have to say the Phonak Audeo combined with the CrosII really has been amazing for me.  Still getting used to hearing so much sound (my hearing was so terrible).  Matter of fact, going to Audio today for another adjustment.  Still a bit loud in certain circumstances, but so wonderful.  You know, my Mom used to have a lot of feedback with her aids.  She had the old earmolds.  Her audio tried new earmolds because he said poor fit sometimes causes that feedback, or if they are not inserted properly.  She got new molds and sure enough, feedback was gone.  If Dad is using domes, maybe a different size would help or making sure he has them in properly.  As we get older (I am 74) our ears change (e.g. weight loss, etc).  What fit a year ago may not now.  Also, with domes there is a small plastic piece that can be put on which holds the aids in place...not uncomfortable at all, I have them.  No space, no feedback is what my audio says.  Worth a shot.  I can honestly say, there is absolutely no feedback with my new hearing aids.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm

NYLady

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 04:34:12 am »
Hello Everyone....

Been a very busy time here so sorry I have not updated regarding my Audeo 70 and BiCros II system.  I am still amazed each morning when I put these on for the day!  I wear them dawn to bedtime.  They are so comfortable you really almost can forget you are wearing them (except your world is now in "Technicolor Sound".

As stated previously, I am going every two weeks for adjustments and so far have the Comfort in Noise, Speech in Noise and Mute features activated.  For me, it seems to be taking some time to get used to the loudness, therefore the mute for when I am in noisy situations where no one is speaking to me.  The distortion I experienced has also been reduced by reducing the volume on each of the speech settings.  We are getting there.  I almost feel guilty expecting more, but audio says keep striving for effectiveness and comfort, so I am more than happy to cooperate.  For me, there seems to be a fine line between volume comfort and speech understanding.  If the volume is low enough to be comfortable, I sometimes cannot understand everything that is being said.  Once again, my natural hearing is really bad.  Amazingly, you do adjust to all of these little blips, and each time I go, it seems to be getting better and better.

I have also begun vestibular therapy.  Two days of testing and started my first actual therapy session yesterday.  Felt a bit wobbly afterward, but it passed and believe it or not, this morning I have noticed a slight improvement when I get up out of a chair.  Will be doing some gaze stabilization exercises at home as well, three times a day, for about five minutes total each session.  I am so hopeful these will help. Therapist says additional exercises will be added as we move forward.  The balance board was my biggest challenge.   As I have been encouraged, with patience and commitment and time, I will see results "soon enough".   That is enough to keep me trying.

So the journey continues to make the "new normal" the best it can be.  My very best to all who are walking this same path, even if we are a bit wobbly.

Best,
NYL

arizonajack

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 10:35:31 am »
NYLady, do you have one of the remote control devices? If so, which one and how is it working out for you?

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm

NYLady

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 11:02:58 am »
AJack,

No, I have no devices as yet.  Perhaps later on I will be interested in something for the TV, but my audio wants me to become really familiar with what I have before adding any extra gizmos.

NYL

oak1971

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 10:53:58 pm »
I have a Widex bi-cross and can't stand it. Drives me nuts. I just wear the right side now.
Diagnosed left side AN 5/27/15

arizonajack

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2015, 10:20:02 am »
I have a Widex bi-cross and can't stand it. Drives me nuts. I just wear the right side now.

If you'd care to explain your issues and how long you've had the equipment you might get some helpful comments on resolving the issues.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm

oak1971

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 03:36:02 pm »
It doesn't help with differentiating speech when multiple conversations are going on in close proximity nor does it help with background noise. I can't discern what direction sounds come from anyway so adding what is essentially a microphone to the left side of my head only tells me there is noise somewhere. Not helpful I'm my case. Your experience may vary.

arizonajack

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2015, 12:12:44 am »
It doesn't help with differentiating speech when multiple conversations are going on in close proximity nor does it help with background noise. I can't discern what direction sounds come from anyway so adding what is essentially a microphone to the left side of my head only tells me there is noise somewhere. Not helpful I'm my case. Your experience may vary.

Actually, my experience is similar. My chief complaint for the past 3 years is that the CROS was not very effective in noisy environments but I do have several programs that I can switch between that provides a small amount of relief.

I have the same issue with directionality. Somebody calls out to me and I can't tell where the sound is coming from.

And if they yell Hi Jack at the airport it can be a real problem. (Have to inject some humor here once in a while.)

The CROS II is supposed to have improvements that address directionality and noisy environments.

Remains to be seen but I'm optimistic and I will report my results here after I get the new equipment mid-June
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm

NYLady

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2015, 09:22:53 am »
Jack,

As you know, I have the CROS II.  As I never had this type of hearing aid before, I cannot compare for you.  All I can say is that I belong to several organizations which have group meetings of 100 or more members each week imagine the noise this many women can generate   :)).  I can now sit at a table with 6 or 7 ladies talking, and pretty much keep up with the conversation.  No special remote, just "speech in noise".  Not always perfect, but 1000 times better than before.  Remember, my good ear has a 70% loss.  I know the audio is using a "power dome", so maybe that is why they work so well.  The Audeos are really great.  I am not too concerned with the features my 70 does not have, as opposed to the 90, as they are stereo features, and my audio says you really need two regular hearing aids to benefit from the four speaker stereo features=, so for me, these are good.  All I can say is for my purposes, I am so much more comfortable with this system than I was before.  Excited for you to try your new aids.  I believe you will really be pleased....really hope so because you were so instrumental in my trying these PHONAKS. and they have changed my life.  Look forward to your report on how they work out for you.

Best,
NYL

ANGuy

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 10:32:41 am »
I am convinced as to the authenticity of these reviews.  Unlike so many online reviews of everything from blenders to cars, there is no doubt in my mind that the above reviews for these devices is accurate and based on actual use and sincere and knowledgeable attempts to get the best performance.

So, why the difference in results?  With typical online reviews that vary, something is at the heart of the differences.  Some people get a defective product, some people don't read the instructions, some people have unrealistic expectations, and some have legitimate (but different) needs.  In the case of these devices, none of that applies.  Basically, everyone got them for the same reason, expected the same things out of them, used them properly, had "good faith" in their hearts throughout the whole period.

The main issue seems to be the ability to separate out noise from useful sound.  My hypothesis is that this aspect of performance is not related to the device.  There is something about each individual that determines how well noise and useful sound are processed. 

Until recently, the last 10 years or so, I have not had an AN.  Based on the size and time of diagnoses of my AN, it is doubtful I had an AN 25 years ago.  But, as long as I can remember I have not been able to understand conversation in noisy environments.  Even now, my "bad" ear is 96% voice recognition and only impaired in low and high frequencies typically outside of normal speech.  So, even with good hearing and no AN, I have never been able to discern speech well in any kind of group setting.

I don't know what it is that makes it so one person has good results discerning speech and others don't.  Why is it my wife can carry two conversations at the same time, in two languages, in a crowded gymnasium, and I can't carry one (and never could) in a small dining room with 5 people in it?  If someone could solve this issue, it would be huge and would impact more than the AN community.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2015, 03:46:00 pm »
The CROS II is supposed to have improvements that address directionality and noisy environments.
Remains to be seen but I'm optimistic and I will report my results here after I get the new equipment mid-June

Thanks in advance for the report you'll give us in mid-June. I'm happy with my Phonak bi-CROS, but would be delighted to upgrade to the CROS II if it's an improvement. I'm SSD and started out with a BAHA, but since the hearing in my non-AN ear is less than perfect I am much, much happier with the Phonak bi-CROS.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

oak1971

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2015, 11:26:51 pm »
I hope we can both get some new tech that helps Jack. Till then I will listen to my record collection in mono.

"Actually, my experience is similar. My chief complaint for the past 3 years is that the CROS was not very effective in noisy environments but I do have several programs that I can switch between that provides a small amount of relief.

I have the same issue with directionality. Somebody calls out to me and I can't tell where the sound is coming from.

And if they yell Hi Jack at the airport it can be a real problem. (Have to inject some humor here once in a while.)

The CROS II is supposed to have improvements that address directionality and noisy environments."

[/quote]

arizonajack

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 08:34:31 pm »
my audio says you really need two regular hearing aids to benefit from the four speaker stereo features=,

That's true but the CROS II offers a work-around with Stereo Zoom. It's automatic in the V90 and manual in the V70.

See:

http://www.phonakpro.com/com/b2b/en/products/hearing_instruments/cros_II/overview.html

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm

NYLady

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2015, 02:00:59 am »
Hi Jack,

While I seem to be doing really well with my hearing aids, I will certainly ask about any additional features I can have added on.  Seem to be able to hear someone in a crowd really well with whatever he has on mine (Speech in noise I think).  But hey, if it can be better, why not.  Manual control is okay with me.

Thanks once again.

Best,
NYL