Author Topic: BAHA removal surgery  (Read 13188 times)

char1957

BAHA removal surgery
« on: March 13, 2015, 06:52:35 pm »
Wondering if anyone out there has had their BAHA abutment and screw surgically removed?  I have had mine for 4 years.  I feel that the hearing I do get from it is not much better than not having it and I continue to get infections around the abutment.  Also I am not able to sleep on that side as laying on it for more than a few minutes causes me to wake up in pain.  I so wish it could have worked for me.  This is not a local doc or surgery for me, so it's hard getting questions answered. 
I would really like to hear from someone who has had one removed.  How was the surgery and the recovery time, also the outcome after healing.  Any advise at all will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
2.5 AN right side, diagnosed 12/12/09
Retrosigmoid Surgery 2/8/10
Encompassed 4th-8th Cranial Nerves
Lost hearing and balance w/other deficits
3rd year MRI no regrowth on AN, but found 10mm Menengioma right frontal lobe

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: BAHA removal surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 07:56:25 am »
Google 'baha removal."

Looks like a lot of discussions and possible resources.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 11:13:47 am »
Hi,
Don't have any info on removal; however, I see you are in P'cola and say you have to go along way,,did you use a local audiologist to adjust it etc? I am considering starting up with one over there and just wondered.

You can PM me if you like. I have had mine since Dec. and it's not all I had hoped for either. Shame. I don't have any infection issues though,so far,,, just sound quality etc. I still use " good ear" to hear someone speak.  I was SSD for three years so that may account for not liking quality of it.

Good luck to you. Wish I were more help. I have seen a few posts of others I believe with removal.
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 12:55:32 am »
Hi there! I'm so sorry you are having issues with your BAHA...I am kind of in the same boat, I am having lots of issues with the skin around the abutment healing.  Actually it will heal ok but I will do something and it starts leaking and then it get's messy again.  I plan on going back to the doctor who put it in and having him look at it.  I know you said you don't have anyone local to help you? Have you gone back to an ENT who does a lot of BAHA's for an opinion? It doesn't necessarily have to be the one who put in your BAHA originally.  If you did was getting rid of the BAHA the opinion? I wouldn't throw it away just yet, try to get some help from anyone before you do.  Let us know how it goes.  Take care!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Kristena

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 09:42:08 am »
Hi Char, I'm sorry to hear about your issues. I had a perfectly healed head with no issues, but my Baha odyssey has created lumpy, painful scarring, and I also have to be very careful when lying on that side at night (smooth pillowcase, create a divot in the pillow, make sure ear is flat, don't move!, etc.) I don't have any issues with the abutment itself, but I've read a lot on the Cochlear community site, and it sounds like a lot of people use a steroid cream regularly to reduce inflammation. I'm not sure if you've already tried that or if it will help, but it would be something to consider before having it removed. If you have trouble sleeping all the time--not only when there is an infection--it might not get better? Just something to consider. I'm thinking of having mine reprogrammed with another audiologist and see if it can work any better. Slightly disappointed with the results as well.
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 10:59:26 am »
Hi char1957 .....

Just going to echo Jay's suggestion to try to get to a doctor who has had experience implanting abutments.  Abutment implants for either the Cochlear or Oticon Medical devices are essentially the same surgical procedure.  There are several ways surgeons implant, depending upon their training, preference, and your bone density.  I know at least two other patients who have had to have some skin revision and/or extension to the post to eliminate a skin irritation issue.

Beyond that, if you check on the Oticon Medical web site, there is a section on care of the abutment and surrounding skin.  You might want to take a look at it.

I occasionally have skin irritation around mine when I have not been careful to brush and/or clean it daily ..... a wipe with hydrogen peroxide and teensy dab of antibiotic ointment clears it within 24 hours.

As for the sensitivity issue, Kristena, you may, indeed find that your settings need adjusting.  If I boost the volume up on mine in some situations, I soon feel some discomfort from the additional vibrations.  Good programming is essential to successful hearing with a bone-anchored device.

I have had mine for almost four years now and love it.  I put it on after my shower in the morning and rarely think about it again until I take it off before bed.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Sonja

• Calendar
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 06:06:31 pm »
Hi Char1957:

I had my acoustic neuroma removed in February of 2009. At he same time I have the BAHA implanted. I had put the processor on a fe times around the house but never wore it really. So I had the BAHA in for over 5 5 years and had not worn the processor and got accustomed to SSD.  There were a few times where there was irritation around the abutment but not so much that hydrogen peroxide and a little antibacterial cream could fix in a few days.

Well about three weeks ago I had my hair done whereby there was irritation around the abutment.  It was so bad I took down my hair and used the peroxide and cream but this time it wasn't healing correctly. My skin started trying to grow over the abutment and it was infected. It was very uncomfortable. I made an appointment to see a doctor at Johns Hopkins (not the doctor who did the BAHA surgery as I went to House Ear Clinic and I live on the east coast). It was confirmed that the skin was growing over the abutment. I was given two choices, 1. have the skin surgically removed and treat the area and cap the abutment and let it heal or 2. have the skin surgically removed and remove the abutment. I decided on the latter as I never wore the processor anyway.

The procedure was this morning. The local anesthesia was a bit uncomfortable but that lasted only a few moments. I could hear the doctor unscrewing the abutment but haven't really felt any pain. It's just a little tender. Since I have been home today, I have noticed my balance is slightly off. But other than that I feel good.

The positive, no more infections or irritations around the abutment and if for some reason down the road you wanted to wear the processor they could cut the area and screw the abutment back in. So it's not necessarily permanent. I can't think of any negatives in my case. Well maybe the slight imbalance. Hopefully, my body will adjust.

I am keeping my abutment just in case. If it's loss and you do decide you want to screw it back in the cost (from what I was told) is $1k.

If I could answer any questions please let me know. God luck with your decision. Oh, it only took about 20 minutes.
Symptoms 2005
AN diagnosed January 2007
Watch & Wait until now
Surgery (Translab) scheduled February 18, 2009 HEI (Dr. House, Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Stefan)
No servicable hearing in affected ear

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 08:24:26 am »
The titanium rod is never removed.  If it has calcified into your skull they would literally have to cut out the portion of your skull that the rod has calcified into.  Only the "screw" is removed - with a screw driver, typically in your doc's office or an outpatient setting.  Very easy procedure; painless.

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways