Author Topic: headaches related to over doing it  (Read 6597 times)

tonikearns

headaches related to over doing it
« on: March 11, 2015, 09:39:57 am »
Hi, I am 4 weeks post op from retrosigmoid surgery to remove my 2cm tumor, had a leak and tried the drain unfortunately that did not work so had to have Mastoid Obliteration. I am feeling
good other than still very dizzy. Twice I had severe head pain behind my head while i was trying to sleep at night. It was better when I sat up. Both times was after I had PT and tried doing some house work. Any one else experience this.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: headaches related to over doing it
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 06:55:45 pm »
Hi tonikearns and welcome to this forum .....

You are still very fresh from surgery at four weeks.  Each week the disorientation (dizziness?) should get better faster from here on ..... although you may experience plateaus in your recovery.  The best thing to help is to walk as much as possible in a safe environment.

I have had two retrosigmoid surgeries (one on each side) and for months after each one I could not lie down on the back of my head without pain.  However, if you are calling it severe pain, I would certainly contact my doctor if I were you, just so he/she is aware of it and can give you any advice about it.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice

Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

staypoz

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 09:59:16 am »
I echo CHD63's comments and note that some people experience headaches after exerting themselves physically especially soon after surgery.  You may also want to try sleeping somewhat upright with a pillow that provides you some back and neck support.  That helped me considerably in the early days after my surgery. 

staypoz

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 06:33:30 am »
It's the biggest issue I still face. The faster the storm is moving and the bigger the pressure differential the worse it gets.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Rc Moser

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 04:17:14 am »
Yes, it took me about 6 months before I could really able to work or do something about 80%. Some have reported migraines come on later. For me still after 12 years sometimes if I over do it I feel migraine coming on. Key IMO is try to note what your are doing and eating to try figure out what triggers them. Hopefully you will not suffer from migraines, but most of us do after An Surgery. I would also watch bending over and getting up quickly beings your only few weeks from Surgery. Try not to do to much to early.  Give yourself 6 months or year to heal before going 100%.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

ANGuy

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 07:16:26 am »
Most research show the incidence of post-operative headaches is about 20%, not "most" of the patients.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.