Author Topic: Eye Moisture Chamber  (Read 6682 times)

Sonia in Sydney

Eye Moisture Chamber
« on: March 08, 2015, 02:46:15 am »
Hi,

I am 5 weeks post op and suffering from right side facial paralysis which is causing issues with dry eye. I had a tarsorrhaphy which alleviated some of the issue in hospital but since removing the stitches i have some days i just want to scratch at my eye. I use drops during the day and gels at night. I have heard of an eye moisture chamber on this forum and wondering where these can be found. I am in Australia so not sure this is something available here but could always get one sent over from the US (i am desperate for relief).

Any other advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Sonia
Diagnosed 4cm acoustic neuroma 12/17/14
Tumour Removal 1/27/15
CF Leak repaired. 1/31/15
Right Facial Palsy. (diagnosed as temporary)
Tarsorrhaphy performed.
Right side deafness.
Balance improvement post op.

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
Re: Eye Moisture Chamber
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 01:14:00 pm »
Hi Sonia:

I think I suggested getting two eye chambers from the hospital.  I'll send you a PM.

Michelle
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

Jill Marie

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 03:27:42 pm »
Hi Sonia,

Have you looked into a scleral lens, there's quite a few threads about it on here and several of us have one, love mine.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Sonia in Sydney

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 03:50:50 pm »
Hi Jill

I have read about the scleral lense but haven't heard of anyone in Australia that has it. I am seeing my neurosurgeon next week and will ask if its an option. Thanks for the reply.

Sonia
Tumour Removal 1/27/15
Tarsorrhaphy performed.
Right side deafness.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 04:08:27 pm »
Sonia, check with the Dry Eye Shop at http://www.dryeyeshop.com/storefront.aspx. I think she will ship overseas. Meanwhile while you are waiting, get a pair of swim goggles with clear lenses. You can pop out the lens on the other side for clearer vision.

Also motorcycle goggles can be used as a good substitute.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Sonia in Sydney

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 04:44:03 am »
Thank you Sara, great link. Have you used any of these products and if so, any suggestions?

Sonia
Tumour Removal 1/27/15
Tarsorrhaphy performed.
Right side deafness.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 10:29:00 pm »
I have the Onyix/Quartz eye shields for nighttime use, although I have modified one to cover only my left eye so that I can see better.

I have a pair of Wiley-X Curve goggles that are no longer carried there as well as the less expensive DustBuster and Onion Goggles. Obviously there can be a problem with condensation inside the lenses as a tradeoff to keeping the moisture in. That's why I suggested swim goggles and popping out the other lens as a cheap and fast alternative.

I wear a scleral lens and the only time I really need goggles are at working at my desk with the space heater or fan blowing. I highly recommend a lens if you are able to locate a practitioner to fit one there.

If you are interested, I have written some blog posts about my experiences and products that I use at http://www.sarahartman.com/category/scleral-contact-lenses/ with the older posts at the bottom.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13