Author Topic: Really Happening?!  (Read 9801 times)

Ahollo

Re: Really Happening?!
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 10:40:47 pm »
ANGuy, thankfully, my surgeons are at the trauma center here in San Antonio. San Antonio Military Medical Center is a trauma center for our wounded warriors. I feel blessed to have their care, but feeling overwhelmed with the aftermath of surgery. Radiation sounds great, but my age is deterring me to go that route.

I think really, I just need (like all of us) the support, and have a place to just write out these day to day thoughts/feelings.   

I'm just getting cold feet, and need to chill out. I know in the end, regardless of the option chosen that it will be OK.

Thanks to all for 'listening' and letting me 'talk it out'!

ANGuy

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 03:57:37 pm »
ANGuy, thankfully, my surgeons are at the trauma center here in San Antonio. San Antonio Military Medical Center is a trauma center for our wounded warriors. I feel blessed to have their care, but feeling overwhelmed with the aftermath of surgery. Radiation sounds great, but my age is deterring me to go that route.

I think really, I just need (like all of us) the support, and have a place to just write out these day to day thoughts/feelings.   

I'm just getting cold feet, and need to chill out. I know in the end, regardless of the option chosen that it will be OK.

Thanks to all for 'listening' and letting me 'talk it out'!

I'm glad that type of experience is available to you.  There is no substitute for experience.

As far as cold feet and expressing yourself, that's what this place is for :)
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Ahollo

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 08:53:07 pm »
Here's an update:

We discovered last night my husband went to high school with two girls who were diagnosed with an AN, and both treated at USC with Dr. Friedman. My husband instantly connected with them, and we learned that one of them works with Dr. Friedman. I spoke with her and Dr. Friedman today. What a relief!

Tomorrow I will see my primary care doctor at Randolph AFB and cry, beg, and cry some more for him to put the referral in for USC. Then, I am headed to Wilford Hall to cry, beg, and cry some more to get my records. There's lots of tears when dealing with TRICARE. I'll overnight records to USC, pre-register with USC online, and pray that TRICARE accepts the referral.

I'm so ready to have this behind me. Here's a little more of my story-

Ringing in my right ear started last July. I slipped into a minor depression in hopes the ringing, headaches, tingling would go away on their own. School started (I teach third grade), and my mood was better because of the distraction of being back at work. Audiology was done in October, and reflected significant hearing loss on my right side. ENT ordered MRI December 6th. Got the call December 10th I had a 1.8 cm AN compressing on the brain. It was nice to know I wasn't crazy!

I had my first consult with an ENT surgeon at San Antonio Military Medical Center January 7th. He explained treatment options, and put my referral in for the radiology oncologist. Met with her about a week later. Explained the radiation treatment she could offer. Then, I had to wait for the referral to go through again to see the neurosurgeon at SAMMC. Finally saw him February 12, and he scheduled me for surgery March 24. The most experienced military surgeon at SAMMC retires in April, and he wanted to work with him, and I wanted this thing gone.

It wasn't until last night that I spoke to my husband's aunt, and learned two girls from his hometown that he went to HS with were diagnosed, and went to Dr. Friedman for care. Those events unfolded in about 30 minutes before we had contact with both girls. It happened so fast that it just seemed like a miracle. It is a small world!

Tears of joy and relief accompanied me this morning as I thought about spending Friday at the hospital to align the best care.

TRICARE can be such a huge pain, but I am going to push, and hope for the best!

Thank you all for the support ....

NYLady

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 01:34:28 am »
Great News!!!

Amazing how things happen.  Dr. Friedman is one of the best.  Many here have been treated by him and had wonderful results. 

Keep the faith....and keep pushing for what you want.

Best to you..

NYL

Ahollo

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 12:45:39 pm »
Records are overnighted and the referral has been sent. Now it's time to wait. Dr. Friedman said he would as soon as he receives my records, which will be Monday!