Author Topic: Anyone know about really small ear canal?  (Read 26220 times)

Boppie

Anyone know about really small ear canal?
« on: October 13, 2006, 06:53:09 pm »
I am dealing with an exceptionally small ear canal for my hearing aid.  TransEar is working with my audiologist and the fitting.  In case they can't fit me with the transear oscillator, I'll have to move to a different aid.  Does anyone have any ideas?

How lucky could I get.  I've had an AN and now I have the smallest ear canals seen before.  Small ear canals is one of the problems with fitting some children.  Geesh!

TransEar is very willing to work with me.

Windsong

Re: Anyone know about really small ear canal?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 07:11:40 pm »
In what way is it small? when one approaches it?... as one goes into it?
towards the end of it?......I have a small ear canal also... for years my ent would comment on it whenever he had to put a tube in it lol... he's now quit commenting on it,  which is good... i was beginning to get a complex about it....

Thanks
Windsong

« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 09:01:34 pm by Windsong »

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 08:46:54 pm »
Here is the progress of my fitting.  My audiologist noticed that my ear canal was verrry narrow when she did the impressions for the inserts the aid builder makes.  Every ear canal is different.  The TransEar oscillator is inserted all the way into the outer ear canal past the "second bend in the S curve".  At that point in the canal (the ear drum area) the skin is thin and the bony portion of the canal is most accessible to the oscillator.  This is where the TransEar oscillator needs to vibrate. 

I am told by an expert at TransEar this:  If this area is miniscule in size we will have minimal contact for vibrations to pick up.  We want maximum contact.  Now the insert apparently has a bulbous end to make gentle pressure against that contact area.  Will we be able to insert the piece into my ear comfortably?  How small will we have to make it to get it to slide in there?  The audiologist has to shape the piece little by little to make it fit for me.  TransEar will work with us on this.  I will surely report all to you.  Just remember that your ear is probably better suited to a good, large oscillator insert.  So I want to encourage others to go for the TransEar and give it a try. 

I think my fitting will begin this week.  I believe this instrument has great promise for SSD.  We will see for my case.  If I can go through Translab, I can go with this.  And it is not anything like surgery!

I had no idea my ear canals were so small.  On the other hand my Mother is 5 feet tall, and I have a sister 4"10".  I am 5"4" and probably inherited some tiny traits.  My good ear has a bigger canal, go figure!  Is this deaf ear having atrophy?

Please, any nurses out there, tip me off if I need your information.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 10:02:58 pm by Boppie »

Obita

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 04:57:41 am »
Oh great.  I am a small person.  5'2" and 98 pounds with shoes and clothes on.  I guess I will expect to find out I have small ear canals when I see the augiologist on 11/6 and if I don't, yippee.

Will the TransEar interfere with glasses Boppie?  It does look like it.

Good luck and I am anxious to read your updates.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 12:15:07 pm »
No, the TransEar will not interfere with eyeglass side pieces.  I checked this out with the audiologist.  The conductor wire that extends from the canal up and around the ear to the unit in the back is very small.  At the intial fitting time, a measurement is taken to assure a good fit here.  Interestingly, I have medium size ears but a small canal.  We inherit lots of differences.   :)

kristie

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 09:35:17 pm »
I am new to the posts and am encouraged by the information posted about the transear device.  Did you have much luck with your device?  I have a son who we recently found is profoundly deaf in his left ear.  Our Audiologist has contacted transear to see if his impressions will work and they believe they can fit him.  My concern is that it will be too uncomfortable and he won't want to wear it.  Hearing is his right ear is great, which is a blessing.  We are trying to figure out what the best option is for him.  Any input?

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 10:18:22 pm »
I have gained great satisfaction in getting back some hearing from my deaf side with my TranEar.  I've had mine since October.  It takes a month or so to adjust to wearing and inserting the unit.  It takes time for the brain to know what it is hearing.  I truly appreciate what I have gained with the aid.  I can enjoy talking and listening to people on my deaf side now.  I have a better sense of feeling complete with the aid.  As with any hearing aid the benefit is called "summation".  In other words, the aid would not suffice as stand alone.  I don't put my telephone up to my deaf ear aid and expect the aid to do the work well.  I'd much rather use my functioning ear for the phone.  But, I once again enjoy restaurant dinners, and group meetings in large rooms.  I enjoy singing in a group with singers on both sides of me once again.  I am positive a student could benefit from a TransEar.  Note:  A battery must be changed after about 20 hours of "on" time.

My ear canal is very narrow and oval shaped at the second inner bend.  TransEAr designed a good fitting ear insert that does not hurt me.  When we were fitting it the first time I had a little discomfort but the audiologist did a very patient job of smoothing the edges off the unit a little at a time to fine tune the fit.  There is gel that one uses to help the unit slide into the canal, and this helps a lot to do the daily insertion.  If your child is ready to follow specific hygeine instruction and has the fine motor ability to handle the delicate unit, I'd say try the TransEar.  Be aware that the same precautions about not letting the unit get wet or sweaty apply to both the BAHA and the TransEAr.  The Transear unit gets sotred in a special box that runs all night to dry out the unit and destroy odors and incipient mold. 

Make sure you have the best and most patient audiologist you can find.  Anyone who has never sold a TransEar has a lot to learn before he/she can give a patient a positive outlook about this new and groundbreaking technology.  Especially find someone who likes young people.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 10:30:40 pm by Boppie »

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 10:33:25 pm »
Aftr you have read my lengthy post, I'd be happy to send any other information.  If you wish post me a personal from my profile page and I'll send back.  If you prefer, I can post back to your email if you wish. 

okiesandy

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 09:38:54 am »
I will be going today to have a second set of ear molds made for a Transear. They have new model that should work better with small ear canals. The doctor told me I had the smallest ear canals he had ever seen. (the only small thing about me). We shall see how this plays out.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)