Author Topic: 4-Hour Balance Test?  (Read 7906 times)

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
4-Hour Balance Test?
« on: February 04, 2015, 12:00:03 pm »
Hi Everyone:

In March I'm finally seeing my surgeons and medical team in Salt Lake City, six-hours away.  I'm going to see five doctors during a two day visit, Oy Vey!

One of my appointments is a balance test that will last 4-hours.  What?  I can't imagine what will happen.

Can anyone share their experience with such a test?

My balance is still bad.  I fall once or twice a week, usually around the stairs or when I try to get around in the dark.  Darkness and stairs definitely require extra attention.  During the day I'm bumping into everything, especially once my "head pressure" goes up.  Dizziness and balance are my main problems in recovery.  I think my bad double-vision exacerbated my dizziness for months, but now it's much better. 

I'm getting my eyelid implant Monday and then I'm seeing my surgeons and medical team for the first time post-discharge on March 9, so I'm feeling like my once stagnant recovery is kicking into gear. 

Emotionally I'm doing a lot better, mostly because of members of this forum:  Reminding me of life's twists and turns, and that postponing the re-opening of my small bakery is okay.  You remind me it's often a blessing in disguise to let go of things.  When I flip-flop on reopening my bakery, my funny husband says, "If you turn things over without letting go, you'll be hanging upside-down."  I'm not flip-flopping too much now because I'm accepting that I simply can't handle the workload, and it's okay. 

Thank you in advance for your input on the 4-hour balance test.

Be well,
Michelle

2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: 4-Hour Balance Test?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 02:18:02 pm »
Hi Michelle .....

Assuming your balance test is a CDP test, this link will give you a good idea of what to expect:  http://www.nationaldizzyandbalancecenter.com/services/balance-lab-testing/computerized-dynamic-posturography/

I have had a couple of these because I have no vestibular functioning from either side.  It is a bit unnerving until you realize with the harness on attached to ties to the ceiling, you cannot fall.  Your feet are on movable platforms while you are watching the screen in front of you.  Some of the test is done with your eyes closed.

It gives the balance doctor a good reading on where your deficits are, if you have any.

That specific test does not take four hours.  However, they probably will also do a VNG test:  http://www.nationaldizzyandbalancecenter.com/services/balance-lab-testing/videonystagmography/

They may also do the rotating chair test:  http://www.nationaldizzyandbalancecenter.com/services/balance-lab-testing/rotational-chair-testing/

I have had all of these and although very tiring, they are not painful.

Best wishes and let us know how it goes.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 02:25:17 pm »
Oy vey!

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.  But I have to say it sounds rather daunting! 

Thanks for being a wealth of information!

Love to all,
Michelle
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

NYLady

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 03:01:51 pm »
Hi Michelle,

Sounds like you have quite a day in store, but I am certain that with your sense of humor and your wonderful ability to apply yourself, you can handle it no problem.  The way you have described how hard you work at your bakery business, shows you push through challenge, and obstacles with determination to succeed.  After all, you did build a business.  No small task. When you use these skills in approaching tests and therapy, I feel you will achieve the maximum benefit and be on your way to getting your strength back.  Please know you have lots of us pulling for you.  I hope down the road when we look back, we will see how taking this time, being patient with our shortcomings and limitations and doing our best to overcome them, was the recipe for success. 

Always the best to you.

NYL

ANGuy

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 03:46:43 pm »
One of the tests I had, I think for balance, involved flushing high-speed rushing water into my ears.  If you have not had this test, be prepared.  It's not that the test is really that bad, it's that they made it seem like I might feel a little water.  Let me tell you, it is Niagara falls.  It feels like everything you are never supposed to do to your ears.  It scared the crap out of me because they did my "good" ear first and I thought something was wrong and it was going to destroy the only good ear I might have. 

So, to sum it up, it doesn't hurt and once you know it's supposed to feel like that, it's not that big of a deal.  But, at first, it's kind of like the first time you look out the window on a jet and see the engines wiggling around, you think they are going to come right off the wing until you find out they are supposed to do that.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 03:28:31 pm »
I had the vestibular testing done and I was given special exercises to get my good nerve to start compensating for the missing one.  Apparently, I have a lazy nerve and it's not reacting to any messages from my bad side of the brain, including my eye which is moving the wrong way first before going the correct way causing me a lot of dizziness.  Bugger!  Anyway, I have been given special exercises that I know are helping.  As a former ballerina I can't believe how hard they are for me, but I have to let that go or I start getting frustrated and depressed.  I do them three to five times a day and some times I have success, and others I don't, but I'm not giving up.  I know I'm improving.

If anyone wants a copy PM me and I can email it.

Be well,
Michelle

If anyone is 

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 04:38:27 pm »
The test ANGuy refers to is a Videonystagmogram. I had it, too. Takes maybe an hour or two. If you have that and the CDP you could very easily spend 4 hours or more at it.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 04:06:58 pm »
Yes, I had the air flushing and water flushing, a moving booth, a rotating chair in a black-out chamber, special goggle/helmet and lasers and physical assessments.  I was BEAT afterwards. 

I have been doing my vestibular exercises, and as a former ballerina it's hard not to get very frustrated, but I'm not going to give-up.  I'm also walking briskly for an hour on an uneven dirt trail every day.  I'm desperate to force my good vestibular nerve to compensate for my missing nerve. 

I don't want to be dizzy any more!  I want to get my bakery open again.  Of course that might have more to do with my eye not moving correctly because of nerve trauma, but a nerve graft may help.

Thanks for all of the encouragement.

Be well,
Michelle

ANGuy

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 05:00:09 pm »
Yes, I had the air flushing and water flushing, a moving booth, a rotating chair in a black-out chamber, special goggle/helmet and lasers and physical assessments.  I was BEAT afterwards. 

I have been doing my vestibular exercises, and as a former ballerina it's hard not to get very frustrated, but I'm not going to give-up.  I'm also walking briskly for an hour on an uneven dirt trail every day.  I'm desperate to force my good vestibular nerve to compensate for my missing nerve. 

I don't want to be dizzy any more!  I want to get my bakery open again.  Of course that might have more to do with my eye not moving correctly because of nerve trauma, but a nerve graft may help.

Thanks for all of the encouragement.

Be well,
Michelle

Just so you know, and hour of walking, even casually, is a good bit of exercise for anyone, even those without post-op recovery issues.  Good job!
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.