Author Topic: Trying the blood serum eye drops.  (Read 5401 times)

badyellowvette

Trying the blood serum eye drops.
« on: January 14, 2015, 01:38:47 pm »
I have been trying the blood serum drops since Thanksgiving and they seem to work better than any drops I have tried in the past 30 years. The problem I have is that I also had my upper tear duct plugged at the same time. This has relieved my dry eye before I left the Doctors office. So I can't tell if it's the drops or duct plug.

I now have too much tearing in my eye and making my vision blurry, never thought it possible.  Normally I just wipe it dry and it's good for a little while, but when working there is way to much tearing. Going to see a local eye Doctor and see if they can replace the lower duct plug with a Flow control tear duct plug. Something my eyelid Doctor suggested I might need if this didn't work out. I think this would be better because when I put the serum drop in my eye it normally runs out of my eye.

And those drops aren't cheap, After $65 to take blood and spin the plasma out the compounding pharmacy charged $200 to make the drops. I got 15 bottles with less than 6 ml/bottle, that works out to about 3 ounces total eye drops. The drops have to be stored in the freezer and used up in seven days after you thaw one out. So I have 15 weeks of drops to try. I hope I have the new tear duct plug in before they are gone. And if I what to stay on the drops I have to drive 3 1/2 hours to have them made again, I have checked there is know where else closer.

Hope this helps anybody thinking about trying the drops or both tear ducts plugs.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 02:29:08 pm by badyellowvette »
Small orange size AN removed 5-15-1985
Tarsarophy done 5-19-1985
Thumbnail size AN removed 4-18-1993
Tarsarophy removed and 1.6g gold weight added 7-22-1993
From 7-26-01 to 2-25-2013 five more surgery's on eyelid with now 3g of gold weight

Jill Marie

Re: Trying the blood serum eye drops.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 12:24:27 am »
Thanks for letting us know how you're doing.  I'm not familiar with the blood serum drops at all so please let us know how they work out for you.  I have a lower tear duct plug but no one has ever mentioned trying an upper tear duct plug.  The flow control tear duct plug is also very interesting, please let us know if you get one and how it works for you.   Hopefully you find out soon it the blood serum drops are necessary or not considering the cost, any chance Insurance would cover them? 

I know what you mean about having to much tearing and not thinking it would ever be a problem, on a rare occasion my eye waters a lot when eating or as you mention when working, it's nice to have the tearing for a change but it's an annoyance too!   

Good to hear from you, Jill :)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

badyellowvette

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 01:30:44 pm »
I am working on my insurance company to get covered for the drops, filled out the forms, waiting to hear back. After 30 years it has been nice not having any pain from dry eye for the past two months.
From 7-26-01 to 2-25-2013 five more surgery's on eyelid with now 3g of gold weight

Jill Marie

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 10:01:27 pm »
Please let me know how the Insurance works out for you.  I've been working on getting my scleral lens covered, making progress but still have a ways to go.  So glad that you are finally getting relief from the pain, wish the lens could have done it for you.  Jill  8)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

badyellowvette

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 02:00:36 pm »
No luck getting the drops covered by insurance. You pay more they cover less.