Author Topic: 16 year old with 4.5 tumor  (Read 13861 times)

brianharte

Re: 16 year old with 4.5 tumor
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 11:17:54 am »
Glad to hear! I hope she is noticing improvements day to day

suethompson

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 12:41:58 pm »
Yesterday was a fairly good day, was able to walk a short distance with walker & help. Today, not as good and knew there would be ups & downs, just looking forward to hospital dismissal so she can come home for Christmas. Threw up this morning and not eating enough to compensate for oral pain meds. Recently switched her from IV pain meds since oral appears to be more effective. Know it is better to stay in hospital longer than go home too early.

Thanks to all for posts and for caring.

MNTim

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 04:49:26 pm »
Sue,
Thanks for the update. Reassure Berkley, from someone that had a similar procedure on a large tumor, that things will get better. I also had a walker for my first few walks and thought things would never improve.  I run several miles per week and have snow skied since my surgery.

Merry Christmas!

Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

Mickey

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 02:31:54 pm »
Many prayers for her thru this Christmas and New year season..... May she have a speedy recovery and start 2015 on her way for a great life....   May God bless,  Mickey

suethompson

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 04:59:13 pm »
BERKLEY IS HOME!  We know the recovery will take patience and are looking forward to each baby step. We wish all forum members a very Merry, blessed Christmas and will continue to hold all in thoughts and prayers as you continue your AN journey. May the journey be shorter and easier for all.

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 04:11:15 pm »
I'm so glad to hear Berkley is doing well.  She is lucky to have an aunt who seeks out helpful resources like this forum.  I look forward to reading her first post.

Be well,
Mimi
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

brianharte

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2015, 04:09:12 pm »
How is she doing now? I hope her spirits are high and she is noticing improvements.

suethompson

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 04:43:22 pm »
Hi Brian - thanks for asking. First follow up appointment with surgeon, eye & ear docs was earlier this week and they all thought she was progressing well. Still hopeful that the facial paralysis and eye problems will dissipate as recovery progresses. Eye doctor is waiting before considering an eye weight.  Her spirits appear fairly high and even made "faces" with her girlfriends the other night to win the best worst face. She has been told she cannot return to school until next fall and this will be tough on her. 

ANGuy

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 07:36:36 am »
I don't know the ins and outs of it all, and it might not be of any help to her, but there are legitimate online, accredited, high school courses available.  If this can help her, I would go through the front office at her school to see what they recommend so that any courses she takes are of the type than can be credited to her graduation or even for future college credit.

I'm sure what she really wants is to go to shool with her friends, but maybe by being able to keep up online, she will not loose a year.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

feline

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2015, 10:29:25 am »
Why is the school not allowing her to return?
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

suethompson

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2015, 01:31:14 pm »
It is not the school, it is the care team that has estimated a return next fall due to the recovery time they believe she will require. Many doctors give the worst case scenario and hopefully they will be wrong. Both parents are in education/teaching so home schooling will not be an issue. The main issue will be Berkley wanting to be back in school with her friends and we will all do everything possible to make that happen sooner rather than later.

feline

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2015, 05:41:52 pm »
Ok I understand now well I hope she recovers well and if she ever needs a resource on what she is going thru have her visit this site. Does she have facial paralysis or a none blinking eye? How is her spirit? Take care and keep the forum updated.
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

suethompson

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2015, 06:58:14 pm »
Feline , yes she has all the complications that often occur with the surgery with a tumor so large; measured at 5 cm & surgery lasted 12 hours. Facial paralysis, eye issues, balance, etc. Docs are pleased with her progress. I have encouraged her to seek support through the forum and hope will do so after a little more recovery time, has only been  less than 3 weeks. Spirits seem to be fine and has youth on her side. Thanks for asking. Her mom is still posting updates on a public facebook page: www.facebook.com/prayersforberk. Berkley is a beautiful young lady, take a look at her family picture (she is the youngest of the two girls). Just a proud auntie bragging! .