Author Topic: So much information  (Read 2664 times)

Julia

So much information
« on: December 01, 2014, 12:52:54 am »
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed 8/2014 with a right sided AN after falling and suffering a fall and concussion in 7/2014.  I had these whooshing sounds that developed in my head which lead to an MRI that revealed the tumor.  I now know that the numbness and tingling on my lip and tongue are related to the AN.  Has anyone experienced the whooshing sounds that correlate with their heartbeat?

My tumor measures 2.7 x 2.0 x 1.9. (I've had 3 different measurements. I think this is right.) 

I have opted for Gamma Knife.

I'm told I'll have a 75% chance of losing my hearing. I have full hearing now. 

I feel unsteady on my feet, but I thought this was from my fall.

I'm preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best.

:)
8/28/14 first diagnosis: Rt med-large size
11/18/14 first neurosurgery consult
1/6/15 scheduled for GK

SXS: facial numbness, loss of taste, unsteadiness, swishing head sounds

Echo

Re: So much information
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 06:27:50 pm »
Hi Julia,

I had Gamma Knife 14 months ago, for a 2.4cm AN.  It was a great choice for me and I've been able to manage my way through any post treatment issues without needing time away from work.  I've obviously had some pretty wonky days during the first initial 6 months, most likely due to swelling, but nothing that Advil couldn't help.

I have never experienced the whooshing sound you refer to but I did have some numbness on the tip of my tongue and the corner of my mouth that came and went for several months pre treatment.  Within roughly 4-6 months post treatment I noticed the numbness was gone and it has not returned!

As for my hearing, I was told it would go eventually and that GK would most likely just slow the process down.  My word recognition was down to 20% at the time of treatment and on my 1 year follow up test it had improved to 40%.  The hearing in my good ear is not so great (just an aging thing) so I did invest in the Phonak BiCros hearing aid 6 months after my treatment and it was the best thing I could have done. 

My balance issues did get worse as during the first 9 months post treatment, but to be honest, I'm doing pretty darn good now, and very pleased over the improvement from last year.

Don't hesitate to contact me directly if you have any questions regarding my Gamma Knife experience.

Cathie.

Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

Kate62

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 11:42:06 am »
Hi Julia,

I sent you a PM - please check your messages.

Thanks!  Kate

Julia

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 11:17:50 pm »
Thank you for the replies.  I am optimistic and look forward to see how I do.

Good luck to you Kate, I know you will do well!

Julia
8/28/14 first diagnosis: Rt med-large size
11/18/14 first neurosurgery consult
1/6/15 scheduled for GK

SXS: facial numbness, loss of taste, unsteadiness, swishing head sounds