Author Topic: Lazy eye + acoustic neuroma  (Read 5577 times)

tdandu

Lazy eye + acoustic neuroma
« on: October 31, 2014, 05:38:08 pm »
Hello All,

My husband has been recently diagonozed with 2.5cm AN on the left side. His right side eye is a lazy eye (refractive amblyopia) . I read somewhere that NF2 patients have vision isssues. Does anyone know more about things like this ? Should we get genetic testing.

Can someone guide us about the right dr to reach etc.

Cheryl R

Re: Lazy eye + acoustic neuroma
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 06:23:05 pm »
He does not have NF2 unless another AN shows up on the other side or a some certain  other type of brain tumor shows up.    I doubt his eye issue is related to the AN but I can not say for 100% sure.      I see no need to be tested.       The dr who let you know he has the AN should be able to give you some info about the eye issue.  he may need to see a neuropthmalogist.  (sp?)        The eye issues with a person who has NF2 is with those who have NF2 from a young age and several various health issues.     I was found to have NF2 at an older age and 3 tumors is all I have had.           I think it is an intra ocular cataract that a person with NF2 can have.              I hope it goes well with your husband and we can be of help.                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Fran6774

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 08:37:51 pm »
I also had a lazy right eye when I was really young and had a right side AN.  None of my Drs including my neuro-ophthalmologist, ever mentioned that it may be related. 

tdandu

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 09:17:02 am »
Thank you so much for your replies, Cheryl and Fran6774. I read somewhere that NF2 people usually present eye problems and were worried. We are going to check again with the Drs. Out of the 2 doctors we met , one dismissed , the other one doesn't think but he offered genetic testing information.

Unfortunately my husbands lazy eye wasn't found until he was 13 by which time it was too late. He is 35 now and the vision is blurred and call it luck , the AN is on the side of the good eye :( :(

Thanks again !