Author Topic: Remodeling Bathrooms  (Read 4540 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Remodeling Bathrooms
« on: October 03, 2014, 02:52:21 pm »
Hi guys,

Haven't been on in a while, excuse me..... For anyone considering remodeling bathrooms these are essentials night lights and reorienting yourself for several seconds if you are sleeping in another bed, and wearing slipper socks or shoes.

Here's what happened to me, we are having our masterbath redone after 15 years! I got up at 1:30 am in the morning with socks on I had parked my cane on the outside of the hall bathroom and was just finishing up when I tripped over a lip in the saddle of the bathroom. I fell on my right thumb and had the all to familiar feeling of breaking it.

What had I done wrong, first of all I had only socks on, secondly, there was low lighting, thirdly I didn't have my cane and fourthly there was a lip in the saddle on the floor which wasn't supposed to be there.

Next morning, I had the saddle repaired, made a vow to not walk in low light situations, had my hand xrayed, and put some sneakers by my bed. I almost broke my hand and it was a miracle that I didn't.

Hopefully we can all learn from my stupid mistakes, BE SAFE EVERYONE!

Mike

1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

ANGuy

Re: Remodeling Bathrooms
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 05:28:44 pm »
As a retired cop, I have always believed in flashlights.  When I was on the job, a good flashlight cost anywhere between $100.00 and $200.00 and they were either big or they took specialized expensive batteries that only lasted an hour or so.  Nowadays, you can buy LED flashlights at Home Depot or other big box stores for $10.00 that run on standard AA batteries that run for hours.  These flashlights are lightweight and small, and very bright.  Even before I had balance issues I always made it a point to carry a flashlight.

Along with your great advice, I highly encourage all members to keep one on their person at all times.  This one is $8.00 and will light up my backyard like a car headlight.  It actually is too bright inside, so when I check on my kids I put a finger over the lens to block some of the light.  If you shine it straight up on the ceiling, it will light up the whole room.  It fits in my back pocket next to my wallet, so it doesn't even take up any pocket space.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-Compact-Tactical-Flashlight-809-2741-D/203138569
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Echo

Re: Remodeling Bathrooms
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 06:44:18 pm »
Thanks for posting the link ANGuy.  I'll be heading to Home Depot tomorrow to pick one up. 

I was away recently at a cottage for some much needed rest.  We had a storm blow through and the hydro went out at 9 p.m. and it did not come back on for over 18 hours.  Thankfully we had some large flashlights with us, but I have to add, when one has an AN with balance issues and your in unfamiliar territory even walking with a flashlight can be tricky. 

Good luck with that reno Mike!

Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital