Author Topic: Anyone had surgery with Gutin or Golfinos recently?  (Read 2617 times)

Laurliv12

Anyone had surgery with Gutin or Golfinos recently?
« on: September 10, 2014, 03:43:05 pm »
Hi all,
Thanks to the many of you who have been so helpful and responsive to questions I've PM'd you about as I work through the decision phase. I am leaning heavily toward surgery at this point and am starting to narrow the field a bit. I already know who I'll be going to if I make a last-minute switch to radiation.

I liked Gutin, but was wondering if anyone has had surgery with him within the last year or two and would be willing share the experience (particularly if he performed retro which is the recommendation for me since I have a lot of hearing to save)?

Same with anyone who had Golfinos/Roland in the last year or two?  Liked them as well.

I guess I'm looking to be swayed to one of these great docs because my analytical brain says go with the docs in CA who do these so much more regularly, particularly the retro approach, which even the CA folks do more rarely. They also were a just a touch more optimistic on saving hearing. But traveling that far for anything outside of a vacation feels like such a drag!

Any additional insight much appreciated!
Be well,
Laura
Diagnosed 8/20/14, 1.5 x 1.4 x 1.25 cm, right side
Nearly perfect hearing in affected ear. Presented with intermittent numbness on right side of tongue, lip, and cheek and occasional "buzzing" in ear.

NYLady

Re: Anyone had surgery with Gutin or Golfinos recently?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 02:25:37 pm »
Hello Laura,

I had Gamma Knife with Dr. Golfinos about 6 weeks ago.  I am doing very well and have nothing but good things to say about the Roland/Golfinos team at NYU.  I was originally referred to Dr. Roland by my ENT here on Long Island.  Was on watch and wait for six months, but my tumor grew.  Then I met with Dr. Golfinos, who recommended Gamma Knife in my case. While I did not use them for surgery, I know they do multiple AN surgeries weekly.  They are the most compassionate, caring, professional and talented doctors, and they make themselves accessible which is just wonderful, especially when you are faced with so many questions in your decision making process.  I feel you would be well served to consider this team.  Everyone at NYU was great.  I felt it was not necessary to travel cross country for excellent care.  We are blessed here in NY to have so many talented doctors to consult.  Followups would also be easier with the doctors who treat you being nearby, although most surgeons will work with your local doctors.  I recommend them highly.  I have posted concerning treatment on this thred, as well as the post treatment area.

Best to you Laura...

NYL