Author Topic: Double vision  (Read 4735 times)

Jaclyngager

Double vision
« on: July 09, 2014, 02:40:53 pm »
Hi I had surgery with Dr. Sisti on June 24Th for a 3.5cm AN left side. Having a hard recovery! Exhausted, terrible headaches! Balance as to be expected isn't great yet... I started developing double vision a few days ago in my right eye, it seems weaker than the left, which I'm finding odd since the left side was operated on. I have been using an eye patch. Anyone have any advice? Similar experience? The PA recommended steriods again, they felt it could be a result of tapering off of the steriods. It's making my recovery that much harder! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Jackie

rm516

• 'incremental improvements' everyday!
Re: Double vision
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 08:31:45 pm »
Give some time!There will be incremental improvements on daily basis. I have never heard of double vision in opposite eye, however, these double vision's are temporary. Although I had terrible experience with Steroids rather than the surgery (BTW Dr. Sisti was my surgeon too.) Dr. Sisti also did recommend more steroids (on precautionary basis for what if situation ?) after the normal regime but fortunately I didn't need more steroids! I am grateful to Dr. Sisti for saving my hearing (3.2 cm AN! almost a miracle ) and  giving back hope to me. My 1st  follow-up MRI visit is scheduled with him this month.
Just adding a personal observation: I wish, Dr. Sisti's nurse (Mary) understand's how to treat his anxious patients with compassion rather than being a robot!
Diagnosed AN in 2008,  3.2 cm CPA round, retrosigmoid surgery performed by Dr. M. Sisti, Columbia Pres.Hospital  NY, in Jan 2013, After surgery no major issues, Hearing retained (>50% ). However, 2 YRs post surgery MRI shows a further decrease in the size of residual AN! No GK or any therapy needed.

byron88

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 11:55:54 am »
I had a 4.9cm x 4cm AN removed in my left side as well; also, when looking left I get double vision. I also had difficulty following the "light test" whe looking left I have seen a nuero optometrist and he said the following.

The 5th nerve?, I don't remember which one he said, is damaged which is prevent normal eye movement in my left eye. It's for one of two reason:

1) it was stretched due to the tumor and will take roughly 6 months to return to normal
2) the nerve may have been damaged during surgery and I will always have double vision

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 03:38:37 pm »
I was fine all week after the surgery in hospital, but I developed double-vision hours after the 6-hour car ride home after my surgery.  Four months later, the double-vision is greatly improved but not gone.  It becomes worse when I've been up too long, or if I look down too long (walking or cleaning the floors, etc.), or whenever the pressure in my head is high. 

I was told to wear a clear plastic eye chamber to keep in moisture, and not to obstruct the eye so that the double-vision has a chance to be corrected.  It's hard not to block your eyelid closed, but it will help with the double-vision.  It took about five weeks before I could say it was manageable.   

Good luck!

Now, only on really bad days or when I really want to get something done, do I wear an eye patch that closes my bad eye. 
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.