Author Topic: newly diagnosed fiance - any experiences w/ Drs. Kveton and Piepmeier @Yale?  (Read 5032 times)

Alice19

Hi everyone,

I hope it's ok to post here if I'm a family member instead of the actual person that has an AN.  My fiance got diagnosed with an AN of about 1cm (left auditory nerve) this past friday by Dr. Kveton and I have been trying to gather info and do as much research as possible.  He's 30 and he's got hearing loss and his balance is a little wonky. Dr. Kveton said the balance nerve is quite damaged. No facial issues. 

We are scheduled to meet with Dr. Piepmeier next week. I looked around a bit on the forum and I have seen their names mentioned here and there but I was hoping for a little more detail if possible.  Is anyone willing to share any experiences with them as a surgical team?

Thanks so much for reading and for your time.

jamssp

Hi Alice,

I probably won't be too helpful here but I consulted with Drs. Piepmeier and Kveton and was impressed by both. They were recommended by another physician at Yale that I know and got glowing reviews. Ultimately I decided to go to NYC and Sloan Kettering and my surgical team was Drs. Gutin and Selesnick.  This was largely a gut decision and it was a difficult one. I was debating between the two teams for a while.  My suggestion would be to get several opinions and if Yale is your choice, I think Piepmeier and Kveton will be terrific.   

Mary
2 cm AN, Translab March 2013, Dr's. Gutin & Selesnick, Memorial Sloan Kettering, NY.
SSD but otherwise doing great!

Alice19

Hi Mary,

Thanks so much for your response:) I'm soaking up as much info as I can, so every bit helps.  I think my fiance wants to wait and see what Piepmeier says before he starts really thinking about surgical options. I'm just trying to help make sure he has as much info as he can get to make an informed decision about his care.

It's good to hear that you personally were impressed with them, and also they have glowing reviews in their community at Yale.  We were impressed with Kveton and are hoping to feel the same way about Piepmeier.    Congrats on a successful surgical experience with Drs. Gutin and Selesnick!  Ideally I'm hoping my fiance will gather a few opinions before he makes a decision but either way it feels like we are looking in the right direction:)  Thanks again!

tdandu

Hello ,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Recently my husband has been diagonised with AN (2.4x2.1) . We live in Naugatuck, CT. Can you please share your Yale experience ? How was the surgery ? Which doctors did you use or did you opt for some other treatment ?

Praying and hoping the outcome will be +ve.

v357139

Ideally I'm hoping my fiance will gather a few opinions before he makes a decision but either way it feels like we are looking in the right direction:)  Thanks again!

I think its a smart idea to gather several opinions.  Keep in mind they can have different strategies, and propose different things.  For example, if you want to consider radiation, make sure you talk to someone who is very experienced in radiation.  Good to talk to very experienced doctors with great track records. Good to ask them about their experience and success.  Best of luck and keep us posted.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!