Author Topic: Gamma Knife: Pittsburgh or Michigan?  (Read 12058 times)

Kat From Indiana

Gamma Knife: Pittsburgh or Michigan?
« on: May 26, 2014, 06:48:01 pm »
I have decided on Gamma Knife.

Indiana University has a GK Model C which has been upgraded to a Model 4C.  They will be getting the Perfection GK in  August. Thinking that the Perfection would be a better choice for me, I am not sure that I want to wait until August and even then, not sure I want to be one of the first on their new machine either.

So,  I have been leaning toward heading for Pittsburgh as it is my understanding that they treat approx 60 AN with GK each year, while IU treats only about 7 per year.  Then I heard that University of Michigan, MidMichigan has a GK center.  Anyone know which location would have the most experience with the treatment of AN with GK? 

I guess I am looking for the best place to go in terms of experience and equipment, somewhere within less than 700 miles from Indianapolis.  Would love to hear from anyone who has more knowledge than myself in this matter. If my data statistics are inaccurate, please correct me?  Thanks.
Diagnosed 3/29/14 Right Side AN 8mm x 3mm x 4mm
GK UPMC 6/13/14
MRI 12/03/2014

ASG

Re: Gamma Knife: Pittsburgh or Michigan?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 12:02:09 pm »
I live in Ann Arbor, MI and initially sought services at University of Michigan when I was first diagnosed.  First, U of M does not have a Gamma Knife machine.  They use a LINAC to radiate tumors (https://www.med.umich.edu/radonc/pat_fam/LINAC.htm).  Second, U of M's ENT and neurosurgery departments are very much a "surgery first" type of place. They overwhelmingly treat ANs with surgery or watch and wait instead of radiation.

I know there is another hospital in Southeast Michigan that uses GK, Beaumont or Henry Ford or one of those, can't remember.  Maybe that's what you're thinking of? When I decided to go with GK I went to University of Pittsburgh because they have more experience than anyone else.

Adam
2.9 x 2.6 AN left side
GK 9/20/13 w/ Dr. Lunsford @ UPMC

June, 2015: 2.1 x 1.2

rupert

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 03:08:55 pm »
UPMC in Pittsburgh meets all your criteria.  They have the most experience out there with GK. They have preformed over 12000 GK treatments with over 1600 for AN's. They have a 97% success on tumor control.  Simply put they are the platinum standard for GK treatment in the United States.  I would say a little less than 500 miles form Indy.

UPMC image guided referral number.  412-647-7744.  L. Dade Lunsford  MD.  Director.

Kat From Indiana

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 05:12:04 pm »
Thank you both.  That's what I thought, but it's nice to have it confirmed.  Now please indulge me, as I ask two more questions:

Should I ask only for Dr Lunsford, or is there another who will do just as well?

And, does Pittsburgh do more GK than The Cleveland Clinic in Ohio?

GK UPMC 6/13/14
MRI 12/03/2014

mesafinn

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 09:14:06 am »
I believe UPMC does more GK procedures than anywhere in the U.S.  And Dr. Lunsford was the first in the country to do GK and brought the practice to the U.S.   He's one of the very best.  He's pretty matter-of-fact, not perfect bedside manner, but he's professional and reasonable.
Oct 2012:  Constant Pulsatile Tinnitus
Feb 28, 2013: Dx AN 1.4 cm X .9 mm
April 19, 2013:  GK at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

Some things in my life need to matter less, and other things in my life need to matter more.  So yes, I'm taking this as a "lesson learned experience."

ASG

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 11:42:56 am »
What Patrick said.

When I sent my stuff I specifically requested Dr. Lunsford and was placed in his care.  However, when I was at UPMC I also got to meet and have a chat with Dr. Monaco III who seemed like a super nice guy.  Other doctors who have worked with Dr. Lunsford have gone on to earn sterling reputations themselves (e.g. Kondziolka), so I have no doubt everyone on the UPMC GK team is great.
2.9 x 2.6 AN left side
GK 9/20/13 w/ Dr. Lunsford @ UPMC

June, 2015: 2.1 x 1.2

robinb

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 02:23:00 pm »
Hi Kat-

Based on the experience you outlined below, I personally wouldn't consider IU unless I couldn't travel. Not enough experience in my opinion. I also specifically requested Dr. Lunsford and the Perfexion, as UPMC has 3 Gk units.

Best
-Robin
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

cathyroe

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 03:44:15 pm »
Hi Kat,
I am also from Indiana... Almost. I'm 1 block north to the state line in Michigan. I have been researching like it's my only job in life for a year. Been everywhere, or it feels like it. I visited Dr. Lunsford in February, talked to many peeps on this forum and elsewhere, and I just made up my mind... Finally... And made an appointment for GK with Lunsford at UPMC in July. I'm so relieved that I finally made a decision, and it really is true that it's a gut feeling. If your insurance will cover you there, why not pick the guy who has the most experience and is considered the best? That is what I asked myself, and how I finally picked up the phone and called for the GK appointment . It took a long time, but now I feel sure. I hope you get that feeling, whatever you decide. I think it's important to have confidence in your choice. I drove out and had a consultation. I'd advise it.
Cathy
11/02/12  Diagnosed with AN  11mm X 5mm
05/29/13  MRI reports no change, stable
11/20/13  MRI reports 13mm X 7mm X5mm
5/20/14 MRI reports 14mm x 8 mm x 6 mm
7/29/14 GK at UPMC Lunsford. Now a Postie Toastie
1/14/15 Six Month MRI growth. 16mm X 8 mm
11/09/15  16 mm X 9 mm
9/15/16   17 mm x 11 mm x 8

theshawn65

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 09:10:50 pm »
Having just been treated here by Dr. Warnick partnering with Dr. Breneman at Precision Radiotherapy I wold give them a recommend. 160 AN's or NFS per year themselves and quite convenient location just north of Cincinnati.

http://www.mayfieldclinic.com/PE-Acoustic.htm#.U46NDvldVWE

Not trying to change anyone's mind just throwing the option out there.

2.2 x 2.2 x 2.3cm AN -- 3 FSR LINAC Oct 23-25th 2013

WilliamS

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 01:51:54 pm »
I highly recommend UPMC.  My treatment for a relatively large AN exceeded my expectations.  First class treatment in all respects.
Bill

3.3cm
volume:  15cc
Diag:  1/18/12
GK:     3/20/12
MRI 9/12  3.0-2.8-2.5
MRI 4/13  2.8-2.9-2.3
MRI 4/14  2.7-2.7-2.2
MRI 4/16  2.6-2.2-1.9
MRI 2/20  1.7-1.5-1.2

Kat From Indiana

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 07:01:35 pm »
I called Dr. Lunsford on a Thursday and had an appointment for the following Monday.  Saw him Monday 6/4/14 and decided to go for it.  They even offered to do the procedure the next day so I wouldn't have to make the drive again, but my insurance would not approve on such short notice.  So I am going back (provided my insurance comes through) and having the Gamma Knife on Friday June 13.  Obviously, I am not superstitious. I am trying to get a room in the Family House for Thursday and Friday night.  They want me to stay close by on Friday, but said I could leave as early as I want on Saturday.  And so the journey continues.....
GK UPMC 6/13/14
MRI 12/03/2014

clarencewolverton

• 4 mm X 9 mm AN
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 06:38:38 am »
Kat,
Good for you.  I am so glad that you have come to a decision. 

Sheryl

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 08:37:47 am »
Our wonderful neuro-oncologist, Dr. Jan Drappatz, relocated a few years ago from Boston (Dana Farber) to Pittsburgh.  If you ever need that specialty, he's fantastic. 
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

tekmac2000

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 10:20:08 am »
I had GK at Beaumont (Royal Oak, MI) on 1-22-2014.  My doctors were Peter Chen (radiology, one of the top doctors in America) and Dennis Bojrab of MEI.  Very satisfied with my treatment so far, there were already signs of necrosis in the tumor when I went back for a post treatment MRI. 

Good luck with your decision! 
1.4 cm Left AN diagnosed fall 2012
growing about 1.5-2 mm per year

Gamma Knife: 1-22-2014

Kat From Indiana

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 02:44:31 pm »
Follow up for anyone who may be interested: I had GK in Pittsburgh June 13.  Now, I don't want to jinx myself by saying this, but it has been one month and a couple of days ago I noticed that my crooked smile is no longer crooked!  Coincidence?  I can't say for sure, but I am very happy. I also believe that I am having less balance problems.  The ringing continues, but there are times when I don't even think about it anymore.  I have already decided I will not let this define me and I will NEVER be a victim to this "situation" which has presented itself to me.  I know that there may be ups and downs in this journey/process, but I am choosing to take each positive as a blessing and any negatives as just another life lesson. 
GK UPMC 6/13/14
MRI 12/03/2014