Author Topic: BAHA is out  (Read 17156 times)

chrissmom

BAHA is out
« on: September 16, 2006, 03:05:07 pm »
Well, the BAHA is out !  ::)

Chris agrees with Batty, he doesn't want holes drilled in his head and he doesn't want a post sticking out.

So we checked with our Doctors and they have Transear  but the audiologist has found something new that she likes better. 

It is transcranial, like the BAHA but surgery isn't required.  You wear it in your deaf ear and sound waves travel thru the skull to the good ear.  They say the sound quality is excellent and you can even talk on the phone with your deaf ear.  This new device is a transcranial version of the Starkey CIC Destiny.  We are anxious to try it.  She found the Transear to be "buzzy" but she really liked this one.

Have any of you tried this yet ?

matti

Re: BAHA is out
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 03:23:27 pm »
Thank you for the info Chrissmom. I am not a candidate for the BAHA, due to extreme head sensitivity. Plus I don't need another hole in my head LOL

This is exciting, I am calling my Audiologist next week and asking about it.

Thanks!
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 03:51:14 pm »
This is one of the reasons we all want to go to Philly this summer--to try out all the new technology.  Ask Nate about the Phonak one he has--he's in transit from SC to Kansas right now but will probably be back online soon.
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Sefra22

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 03:59:39 pm »
It is transcranial, like the BAHA but surgery isn't required.  You wear it in your deaf ear and sound waves travel thru the skull to the good ear.  They say the sound quality is excellent and you can even talk on the phone with your deaf ear. 

This is VERY exciting to learn. I will definately look into this after my surgery!
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Raydean

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 06:49:18 pm »
Please ask the audilogist  what the hearing requirements might be for this product.  We checked into the BAHA for Chet but was told that based on his high pitch tone loss in his "good ear"  that the BAHA would not meet expectations.   (Thought a Bi-Cross would work better).  Since Chet has had a long term hearing loss his brain has all ready compensated for the loss and it's unknown how well it may work out for him.   We're interested in any thing new out there.  Thanks so much for sharing this.

Is there a website for this new product?

Thanks for any information that you might receive.
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 07:04:36 pm »
Sounds interesting...I just got my letter to be evaluated for a hearing aid and the cross and bicross was mentioned would be interested on info on what they are recommending for chris...I want to make sure I get the best thing possible for me!!! Thanks for sharing  ;D

chrissmom

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 02:57:13 pm »
We go back to Pittsburgh on Wednesday.  I'll get more information then.  The transcranial cros is about $2500.  You wear it on the bad side.  It is for single-sided deafness (SSD).  However, it is my understanding that it all depends on your ear canal.  If your ear canal is too small, it is out for you and the company has been good about that.  Here is the website but I haven't seen the new device on here yet.  I'll try to get more information this week.

http://www.starkey.com/

Obita

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 06:13:44 pm »
Chrissmom:

Thanks for the info.  I sent Sharkey an email..........I can't find a thing online either.  Not even at the FDA????

Thanks for checking on it for all of us.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

wanderer

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 07:21:12 pm »
someone recently posted about a baha like device that uses bone conduction but is built like a hearing aid and the vibration is done from a piece inserted into the ear.   No surgery required.

I think it was in the post op section,  but I don't remember what they called it.   I have the baha so it's not something I was paying much attention to.

Boppie

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 07:49:54 pm »
Google TransEar   also   Starkey Destiny

Pembo

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 08:03:34 am »
chrismom, I absolutely was NOT going to get a Baha, the idea of surgery again was terrifying but after 9 months I started to change my mind and investigated it further. I didn't have my surgery until 15 months post op. So....keep an open mind. Chris might change his mind down the road. That said, if you find something else that works, Great! :)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 11:03:45 am »
I seem to have adjusted pretty well to hearing in only one hear, so never even considered having another surgery, just so I could have a post sticking out of my head....however, I'm not so vain that I wouldn't consider a hearing device in my former AN ear.  Thanks for the info....something to really check out.

RTD
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 11:17:57 am »
PSSS:  After googling, yahooing, ask-ing, etc., the only reference to Transcranial hearing devices that I've been able to find refer to the CROS.  This device has been around longer than the BAHA.  Is this what we are talking about? or am I missing something (besides my hearing and balance nerves ;D) Anyone out there found something different?  I'd really be interested....

RTD
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO

Obita

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 05:19:12 pm »
I received this today from Starkey:

Dear Ms. O'Brien,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I believe your referring to the Destiny Completely In The Canal.

The Destiny can be build with maximum gain and fit to the dead ear.  It
provides cross over to the better ear through bone conduction.  We call
this a transcrainial cross.

Below is a link to our nFusion website which has more product information:
http://www.starkeynfusion.com/destiny/index.html

Destiny is available through Hearing Health Care Professionals in your area.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Anne Williamson
Consumer Relations
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Jeanlea

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 06:07:04 pm »
How can we find out which one works better?  Is it Starkey Destiny or TransEar?  I find both of them something that I am definately interested in.  It would be so good to be able to hear out of both ears again, tell where sounds come from.  And to be able to do it all without surgery sounds even better.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD