Author Topic: Techniques For Falling Asleep  (Read 4081 times)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Techniques For Falling Asleep
« on: February 28, 2007, 08:09:53 am »
Good morning!  As I peruse the topics and read the great replies I am moved to comment on sleep issues.  I can suffer from difficulty falling asleep from time to time and have tried different pills, techniques, etc.  Shortly after surgery, after my 6-week check I was prescribed Ambien.  This worked great until I quit taking them per doctors instructions.  After 4 days of use I started to experience a headache, then after 5 days of use I stopped (per the doctors instructions) I experienced insomnia for two straight days!  I decided this product was not for me as it only added to the headaches I was having.  Why take a product for insomnia when it can bring on insomnia?!  With my 6-week check and given the okay to slowly get back to yoga I noticed a few postures actually have helped in bringing on sleep.  I share them here for those familiar to yoga and for "newbies" to yoga if further explanation is needed feel free to respond to me and I will take the time to further explain, but for briefness here I give just the name of the posutres.

Seated Alternated Forward Bend, Both Legs Extended Forward Bend, followed by counterposes of, Reverse Table or Reverse Plank Pose.  Hold the forward bends anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes breathing deeply with the counterposes held comfortably up to 1 minute. 

If after I find my mind does not respond to this after lying back in bed 5 to 10 minutes I will take melatonin.  I find after 20 minutes or so this will bring on the extra relaxation needed to fall asleep.  My son-in-law (Army Special Forces, team medic) mentioned he passes melatonin out to his "team" when they are having difficulty falling asleep while traveling through time zones around the world and reports good success.  I am interested in knowing if anyone has used this? 

The other day a woman gave me her tip to quieting the mind helping to fall asleep deeply.  She says to get out of bed and "write down" all thoughts that pass through your head even if they are nonsense.  Her explanation is these are issues one needs to work through and will solve as the answers present themselves.   Nice "tip" and am willing to try this before taking melatonin.  I will let you know how this helps in creating a good nights sleep for my occasional bouts of insomnia. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Techniques For Falling Asleep
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 09:14:42 am »
Hi Karen,

Great post and thank you for sharing it with us.

I have also tried 3mg Melatonin... the only issue with it is if there is any form of history of depression for the person that is taking it. If my short term memory serves me right, dr's typically don't recommend it if there has been any form of depression (possibly noted as "Cautions" on some of the bottles as well, I'd have to check).  I agree that it helped me fall into a "relax" state as well.....

Based on what you have shared in the past, I have a sneaky feeling that you have tried this as well....

I also fall asleep to meditation.  I lay in bed in the dark, close my eyes and focus on my "third eye".  If I do this mediation, while laying on my back in bed, with a focus on my "3rd eye" and white light/energy, I find it helps to relax my mind and body and naturally lets me drift off to sleep... for those of us "in tune", you'll know of what I speak :)

Phyl

(and yes, folks, I also do have eyes in the back of my head... watching all you pirates carefully! :) )
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"