Author Topic: MRI Head and MRI IAM Both  (Read 49266 times)

Bella68

MRI Head and MRI IAM Both
« on: March 09, 2014, 02:27:18 pm »
Hi,

This is my first post and I hope I am posting it in the right section!

I have been experiencing problems with my left ear for several years now.  I can't recall when it exactly started but about 3 years ago I went to see my GP as I was suffering from dizziness, fullness in my ear and head pain above my ear.  My doctor said I had Meniere's disease and prescribed me some medication for the dizziness but did not send me for any further tests.  Nothing really improved but I decided just to grin and bare it.  I went back to the doctors about year later with the same symptoms but with the addition of tinnitus I saw the duty GP he took a look in my ear and said there was nothing wrong and suggested that I tried decongestant medication and steaming, I tried that and nothing improved. 

Things have slowly got worse and the tinnitus has become very high pitched and causes a big problem with sleeping.  I decided to change to a different GP Practice and went and saw my new doctor at the end of January 2014.  He was very thorough and asked lots of questions and arranged for me to have an MRI but didn't say why (I should have asked I supposed)  I had the MRI on 5th March,  I had two scans one of the Head and an MRI IAM both without contrast.  I am not sure what IAM is so any information would be gratefully received.  The hospital said that the results could take up to 3 weeks.  Do you think they are looking to see if I have an acoustic neuroma? 

Some other symptoms that I have which I am not sure are associated, when driving at night I have real problems with glare from car lights I also have intermittent blurriness in my left eye.  I also occasionally have slight pain in the left side of my face and have sensitivity to certain high pitched sounds. 

I hope it is not an acoustic neuroma but I just want to get to the bottom of what is causing these problems as it is really starting to have an effect on my day to day life.

Thanks for listening!

Bella

PaulW

Re: MRI Head and MRI IAM Both
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 08:49:03 pm »
IAM is Internal Auditory Meatus another name is Internal Auditory Canal
Unfortunately this is where AN's usually start, and I suspect your doctor wants to make sure you do not have an AN or a number of other things, that can cause problems in this area.
Most modern MRI's can detect an AN without contrast, however once detected to monitor growth, or work out a treatment plan, contrast maybe required.

There are numerous things that can cause AN like symptoms many are temporary.
Hopefully you won't be joining our exclusive club...
Even if you do, there are lots of options and many outcomes are excellent

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

v357139

Re: MRI Head and MRI IAM Both
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 06:56:45 pm »
I know its easier said than done. but try not to speculate.  You will only drive yourself crazy.  I know because that's I did it to myself.  Try to keep busy until you get the results.  Best of luck.  If it is an AN, let us know.   We are here to help.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!