Author Topic: Now that Parties are over My Commitment to myself  (Read 5280 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Now that Parties are over My Commitment to myself
« on: February 07, 2014, 01:23:02 pm »
Dear Friends,

I have partied to hard! I don't know about all of you but I am overweight and it doesn't help my balance one bit, I still fall off balance but correct myself with a cane. I am making a commitment to strengthen my core and improve my overall health and improve my outlook on life......(which has been flagging) I don't need another YELLOW FLAG in my life (don't get me started on those, I never stop).( ***see THE YELLOW FLAG**)

It is my hope that I can inspire some of you to follow my example of good health and muscular core fitness and leg strength. To be sure I am not fit at all. I just realized that as the great Michael Jackson said "I'm starting with the man in the mirror" and that man is beginning to be obese. The last time I went on vacation in Ireland, I had a bad fall and fractured my wrist (2011) just prior to my discovery of my regrown AN.

Now to be sure, I do not want that to happen again (falling). So, because it is winter time, I am starting small on my exercise equipment I have at home. Then I can go to the gym again once the weather isn't so icy in the northeast. My  index finger has healed from a fall I had on vacation ( December 26).

As some of you may remember, my wife and daughter attended the Golden Jubliee of Queen Elizabeth shortly after my GK procedure in June 2012, part of the reason they attended together was so they could have a mother-daughter trip, part of the reason was that they didn't want to slow down for me as I have become slower in my mobility.

Now that an amount of time has passed,I think it's time that I joined them on their trips but I have to be in shape first! It is a goal of mine to get more fit and to quit being satisfied so much. I realize that I am starting late and that this commitment usually starts in January, but what the h.e.l.l. my timing has been off for a while now!

Wish me luck?

Mike

1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Now that Parties are over My Commitment to myself
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 05:10:43 pm »
Mike ~

Excellent decision!  I certainly do wish you success.  Please try to keep us posted on your progress (which will take time, I know, so no rush).

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 02:29:02 am »
Good luck!

Several friends of mine have found it helpful when on a weight loss programme to post updates (usually weekly) on a forum thread or Facebook.  It helps them stay motivated as they want to report a loss rather than a gain  :)  Would that help do you think?  Or is it against the rules here?   I'm sure everybody will be most supportive!

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 09:57:23 pm »
WOW, good luck to you on your quest for health and life! Consider using a pedometer or a "fitbit" smart pedometer. It helps to motivate me to get up and walk around the house in the evening when I look and see I haven't met my goal yet. Its like having a personal trainer tapping you on the shoulder saying "just a few more steps".
Again, good luck, let us know when you need a pep talk!
Karen

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 02:53:25 pm »
Thanks everybody!

:D ::)

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Hokiegal

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 05:42:45 pm »
Wow great decision!  Have you considered a Wii Fit board?  Mine has not only helped me with balance issues and strengthening the abs, it's a great exercise tool in general, and lots of fun.  Physical therapists love them.

Congratulations on your decision, and all the best to you!
3.0cm AN diagnosed 08/11, age 47
surgery 09/11, Dr. Patel (MUSC), 95% removed
SSD with tinnitus, right side facial paralysis, vision and balance issues
facial movement much improved, and still returning after 3yrs
"We are better than we think, and not quite what we want to be."  Nikki Giovanni

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 05:48:55 am »
Good luck to you.

I find myself in same place. I have gained weight since I had AN surgery because of loss of balance that put a halt to a lot of physical activity I did. And being a vicious cycle the added weight puts balance off even more. So even less active ...more weight gain and around it goes.

My sugar started rising last fall and using diet management prescribed by doctor wasn't lowering it. So I made up my own that involves yogurt and oatmeal for two meals ( usually breakfast and dinner ) with the third meal of whatever is being served. I really don't deny myself any particular foods. Just eat in moderation. I have added walking my third daughter ( who happens to be a border collie) instead of just letting her out. That has be eh harder for her because sh he usually just rips ND tears. I slow her down. I have lost 18 pounds since January. Need to add some strengthen in. We are at a church retreat this weeken at Guntersville Lake. Canoeing made me see how noodly my arms have gotten.

Also discovered that canoeing in choppy lake water screws my balance up making me walk like I have had one to many. River canoeing didn't bother me nearly as bad.

Again good luck . I think that posting progress reports would be great. Not just for your own sake but as motivation to others that may be having same problem. Looking forward to your report
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery