Author Topic: Weird hearing issues!  (Read 3087 times)

Nuttyneddy

Weird hearing issues!
« on: January 29, 2014, 08:01:58 am »
I am in the UK and experiencing hearing issues which my doctor thinks are neurological (currently waiting for an MRI to diagnose - anyone know how long that takes?).  At the end of October last year I experienced a severe attack of vertigo, which has been followed by constant loud tinnitus in my right ear, and strange hearing in that ear.  All sounds seem higher pitched through that ear, and it is almost impossible to distinguish speech through that ear.

In addition to the MRI my doctor also referred me to the ENT for a hearing test (also still waiting), but having discovered through this forum that you can do hearing tests on youtube I thought I'd have a go.  I did this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5l4Rt4Ol7M and I did it separately in each ear.  Left ear got 80% which I thought was OK (I'm 45 years old), but when I did the right ear I could hear nothing until 60% but then I heard that in my left ear!  I didn't hear anything in my right ear until it got to 40%.  I only had the earphone in my right ear, but first perceived the sound on the right side of my head.  Very puzzling!  There is an element of the tinnitus that I can hear in that same place in my head, but only in quiet conditions (the main noises are worse in loud places).

Does anybody else have this, or know what causes it?  I am currently full of questions!  I don't know what is wrong with me, everywhere says AN is rare, but doesn't come up with any more common cause for my symptoms, so I don't know where else to go for advice.  It was after looking in my eyes that my doctor decided my hearing problems were neurological, although he didn't say why.  I wish I'd asked more questions!  Especially how long it might be before I hear something from the hospital, it's been three weeks so far and I've not had an appointment through.

Any advice?  The vertigo seems to be gone thank goodness, but I am finding it increasingly difficult to concentrate on anything with all this noise in my head all the time - it seems to fill up about 2/3 of the available space!