Author Topic: MRI vs CT  (Read 2283 times)

maleia

MRI vs CT
« on: January 14, 2014, 07:39:30 pm »
In 2008, I was diagnosed with a right side AN (2mm).  Since that time,  a nerve stimulator has been implanted to help with another issue.  I cannot have an MRI with the nerve stimulator implant - I have not had an MRI scan since 2008.  Will a CT Scan with contrast detect whether or not the AN has grown?  I have had some noticeable hearing loss and balance issues.  ???

Tumbleweed

Re: MRI vs CT
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 11:56:08 am »
Dr. Chang (Stanford) told me years ago that CT scans are more accurate than MRI but harder for the eye to interpret, which is one reason why MRI is used for watch-and-wait analysis of tumor progression. So, my take is that a CT scan would show whether your AN has grown, but it might take some sort of ancillary hardware or software to analyze the scan accurately. (This is a guess on my part, based on the fact that CT scans are used to develop computerized CK treatment programs for AN.) Best to ask your doctor about this.

CT scans subject your brain to a high amount of unfocused radiation (not like CK or GK, which focus the radiation solely on the tumor to avoid collateral damage). It's best to get one only when necessary. But it sounds like you may not have any other options.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08