Author Topic: terrible headache/AN not yet confirmed  (Read 3039 times)

lisa_196

terrible headache/AN not yet confirmed
« on: December 21, 2013, 02:54:57 pm »
I haven't had my MRI yet. I had sudden 100% hearing loss on one side in October. Audiologist suspects AN. There has been some facial numbness, but it went away. Now I've had a headache for three days. It is also freezing rain and miserably gray out and I have had pressure headaches for years. So should I go to an ER? Could AN put me in danger if I don't go to an ER? Am I being paranoid? Is my paranoia causing the headache? Sign me confused.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: terrible headache/AN not yet confirmed
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 03:34:15 pm »
Lisa ~

If you have developed an acoustic neuroma only an MRI with contrast will confirm it.  If your symptoms are causing you pain as well as angst, you may wish to call your doctor for advice and possibly medication.  ANs can and do grow quickly but not exponentially so going to the ER is probably not necessary but is your decision to make.  However, I would hope that your MRI is scheduled soon so that you can move forward and know what you're dealing with.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Echo

Re: terrible headache/AN not yet confirmed
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 07:19:47 pm »
Hi Lisa,

First I agree with Jim you should follow through with an MRI with contrast so you know for sure if you have an AN.  Next, if you have a history of pressure headaches that you can connect to barometric changes then there is a pretty good chance your current headaches are weather related.   I'm just making this suggestion because I also have a long history of weather related headaches and I woke up with a terrible one today.  There is currently a large weather system that's been moving across the States into Canada for the last several days and it's been causing me grief for most of last week! My AN symptoms (wonky head/balance) have been much worse for the past week.  We have also had the freezing rain since last night and it's still coming down.  I suspect by the time the weather system passes we will both feel much better. 

Please follow through though with your MRI.
Best of luck.

Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital