Author Topic: Surgery @ Loyola next thursday  (Read 7066 times)

cceekkoo11

Surgery @ Loyola next thursday
« on: January 11, 2014, 01:17:30 pm »
After seing 5 different neurosurgeons and getting 3 totally different options, I'm sure you all can imagine how confused I am. But anyway decision has to be made no matter if I'm ready or not. After reading every possible bit of information that I could find, I think I made up my mind. I am thinking to go with team Leonetti and Anderson @ Loyola. They seem very experienced and knowledgeable  surgeons. I know there are some mixed opinions about them in the ANA forum, but from what I read when tumor is as big as mine is (over 4cm) surgeon's experience is crucial. They offered a mix between both retrosigmoid and translab approach as better one for large tumors. I guess I'm gonna have to trust their judgement, right? The surgery is scheduled for next Thursday - Jan 16th.  Do you guys think this is a good way to go? Please share how was your experience @ Loyola, or any last minute advice for me. I also want to thank everyone for the help and support that you gave me and my family.  Knowing that you all already went thru this fight and came out of it as survivors gives me lots of strength!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Surgery @ Loyola next thursday
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 03:21:05 pm »
Glad you were able to make a decision; typically a very hard thing to do.

Good luck with your surgery,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

clere

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 08:53:38 pm »
Since our surgeries are scheduled for the same day but different places I thought I would put in my two cents worth.....It seems to me there are mixed opinions about most teams of Dr's. and the different hospitals. And all of our situations are different and personal.  None of us will ever know if we made the "right" choice or decision. Right now I am just grateful that I was able to make "a decision".  And I have faith that in month or so (maybe sooner) we will both be posting our great outcomes.
Good Luck!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 02:07:23 pm »
cceekkoo11 ~

My thoughts and prayers for your upcoming surgery (Thursday, 1/16). 

As for 'mixed reviews' on doctors:  my neurosurgeon, Dr. Isaac Goodrich, seems to be relatively unknown yet has over three decades of experience with AN surgery.  When I was admitted for my surgery on my 4.5 cm AN, a hospital nurse confided that I had "the best doctor in the state for acoustic neuroma surgery", which was encouraging.  This neurosurgeon did an outstanding job with my debulking surgery and I enjoyed a rapid and complication-free recovery, followed by planned radiation (FSR) which effectively halted the growth of the debulked tumor.  That was over seven years ago and today I'm doing fine.  My doctor's lack of renown seems like a minor point when compared to his skills and experience that worked in my favor.

I believe that when undergoing serious surgery one must have complete confidence in the medical team.  My doctor wouldn't even allow any interns or residents in his OR when performing AN surgery.  He hand-picked his support team and even 'imported' a technician from out of state to perform the nerve monitoring.  He took his work seriously and wanted only the best people working with him.  As Dr. Goodrich put it to me: "AN surgery is no place for amateurs".  I have no opinion on the surgical approach your doctors will choose but I wish you a successful outcome.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 07:09:46 pm »
None of us will ever know if we made the "right" choice or decision.

I have to respectfully disagree with this.  Although making my decision (surgery vs radiation) was hard, I knew as soon as I made it that it was right for me.  My outcome just reinforced my decision.  I've never second-guessed myself; I've never looked back.

I agree 100% with Jim.  You must have complete and utter confidence in your surgical team. 

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:37:14 pm »
Agree with Leapy, once you have chosen your team, give up second guessing and TRUST the team you chose! Before being put out for surgery, it was commented how relaxed and calm I was, I said I had total confidence in my surgeons, that's a good feeling!

TexasSprinter

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 10:45:45 pm »
Best wishes for a successful surgery. Get some sleep tonight!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 08:54:02 pm »
Hope things went well.

Looking forward to an update.

Best,

Jan

PatSal

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 12:23:46 pm »
 ;) ;)
I had my surgery at Loyola after having  gamma knife somewhere else five years ago. I was very happy with Loyola.  The doctors and staff there are great.  Hope your surgery went well

DizzyMamaIL

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 04:26:35 pm »
How was your experience at Loyola? I just met with Dr. Anderson yesterday and I really liked him, he really knows what he's doing! I am leaning very strongly toward the gamma knife option. What did you have done? Were you pleased with the hospital and physicians?
February 2012 - first doctor visit for vertigo
January 2015 - sudden hearing loss
January 2016 - dx AN 1.1 cm x 2 cm
May 2016 - radiation; June 2016 to present - headaches, vertigo; October 2016 - one episode of facial paralysis

cceekkoo11

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 10:38:29 am »
@DizzyMammaIL
I was very pleased with the hospital and physicians, Dr. Anderson really cares about the outcome of his patients I know that for sure. I had a surgery, no radiation. The future is never known, but only in 2% of their patients after a surgery there is a need for radiation or another surgery after some years. Call me if you like to talk more I would be happy to explain more to you.