Author Topic: Social Security Disability  (Read 4830 times)

KBL

Social Security Disability
« on: December 08, 2013, 03:58:07 pm »
In the spring of 2010 I applied for disability.  That fall I was denied.  We hired an attorney.  We had a hearing and once again I was denied.  We appealed, it took about a year, but  I had another hearing In October.  This time they ruled in my favor.  It was been a long road with months between decisions. 
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Social Security Disability
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 05:09:12 pm »
KBL ~

Social Security Disability benefit approval is often difficult to obtain.  Congratulations on your hard-won victory!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 12:21:35 pm »
Congratulations.

For anybody interested, quite a few sources of information about SSDI for ANs came up in the following search:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=acoustic+neuroma+ssdi
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 10:34:03 am »
I applied for SSDI in April 2010 without any legal help. I was a police officer at one point in my life, and the rules/laws regarding SSDI are no different than criminal laws. In criminal law, each law requires that all points of the law have been completed...homicide means you must kill a human, not the neighbors barking dog. You can be charged with another offense if you kill Fido, but not homicide.

I approached my application the same way. I read the law and outlined what were the points that I had to meet, completed my application and was approved 6 months later. Was it good luck or proper planning? I think it was proper planning.

When you apply, you are filing a legal document, no different than filing your tax return. There are legal penalties if you lie. What ever you claim on your application will be tested by a doctor chosen by SS.

I am guessing that most people that apply have very little understanding about  what the law says. They file their first application and leave out critical material. It is imperative that you get it right the first time. It is almost impossible to get the second application approved. That fact that you got a third application approved is a mini miracle.

Read the law. Make an outline of the law. Meet every point the law requires. Re-read and re-write your application several times. Have someone else read it and grade it and mail it in.

You are accepted in Medicare on your second anniversary. If you are under 65 years old, you will have to purchase a Medicare approved insurance policy. I am 64 and had to purchase a Medicare Advantage policy. Very few doctors in my area accept Avantage plans because they pay do little. My hospital and doctor are out of my network...bummer. When I am 65 I can get a PPO and go back to my regular hospital and doctor. You might want to check what insurance policy is available in your area.

Good luck
James