Author Topic: Facial Paralysis??  (Read 23360 times)

DeniseSmith

Re: Facial Paralysis??
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2006, 01:56:04 pm »
I have a platinum weight in my left eye. My eye also does not blink all the way closed. My dr. said if he put  heavier weight in my eyelid would be droopy and half closed.  The weight is basically only there so I have full closure at night so I don't have to tape my eye shut.

My facial nerve was cut during my surgery my dr. gave me 12-18 months for my nerves to rejuvenate.  At my one year appointment in May, he told me nothing is happening and my facial paralysis is permanent.  As some of you already know I will be having some reconstructive surgery in August '06 to hopefully get some relief from the paralyis and my permanent frown.

Again, as some of you already know, the facial paralysis has been the worse part of this whole experience, for me at least. And i have suffered some serious through self esteem issues.  And i am not trying to be a downer or rain on anyone's parade.  But during the first 12 months, i would get sensation and twinges in my left cheek, and i also thought it was a good sign, but now that i know its not coming back. I really think its only the nerves misfiring.  i really had my hopes up, until i saw my dr. at one year. 

Denise

Jeanlea

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006, 07:40:34 pm »
Hi Denise,

When I went to my 6 month check up my doctor told me that my face wouldn't return to normal!  Not what I wanted to hear.  I also get the tingly feelings and shocks.  Don't really thinks it's doing anything.  Did your doctor do anything special to tell you that your nerves weren't working?  My doctor just looked at me.
I'll be waiting to hear how your surgery goes in August.  I'm sure you'll feel much better after it's done.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

RattieLady

• Ourplaceourspace
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2006, 04:20:22 pm »
I have a platinum weight in my left eye. My eye also does not blink all the way closed. My dr. said if he put  heavier weight in my eyelid would be droopy and half closed.  The weight is basically only there so I have full closure at night so I don't have to tape my eye shut.

My facial nerve was cut during my surgery my dr. gave me 12-18 months for my nerves to rejuvenate.  At my one year appointment in May, he told me nothing is happening and my facial paralysis is permanent.  As some of you already know I will be having some reconstructive surgery in August '06 to hopefully get some relief from the paralyis and my permanent frown.

Again, as some of you already know, the facial paralysis has been the worse part of this whole experience, for me at least. And i have suffered some serious through self esteem issues.  And i am not trying to be a downer or rain on anyone's parade.  But during the first 12 months, i would get sensation and twinges in my left cheek, and i also thought it was a good sign, but now that i know its not coming back. I really think its only the nerves misfiring.  i really had my hopes up, until i saw my dr. at one year. 

Denise

Hi Denise,
I have a gold 2 gram weight in my right eye. I was told my face would have movement after about 15 months but within 12 months my consultant said it won't come back so he put me down for reconstructive sugrery. this was in march by may i had the surgery to conected the remaining part of the nerve upto the nerve that controls the tongue also i had the weight put in. It's been a month today since the surgery. My face has lefted up more so now i don't look so lopsided. Still the eyebrow is lower than the left. The surgeon said it should take about 3 months for mine to come back.But the only thing stopping it from coming back is the muscles. He said that if that is the case he will need to replace those cheek muscles with some from under my arm.
NF2 diagnosed in October 2002.
5 operations since Jan 2004.One was an emergancy tumor removal.

DeniseSmith

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2006, 07:08:40 am »
Jeanlea,

All they did was come in ask me to smile and felt the left side of my face while i tried to smile.  So to me it didn't seem like much of an exam, but they are the experts.

My facial nerve was stretched thin, and my tumor was emeshed in my facial nerve like speghetti, so that is why they cut the nerve.  I am was so depressed when they said that the paralysis is permanent. I am really hoping this surgery in August helps me feel better about my looks.  I hate to meet new people especially when they have no idea about what happened to me, I hate looking like a freak. 

Okay, I am done feeling sorry for myself today, its Monday, and its only 8 a.m. and my day already sucks.  I don't need to make myself feel worse.

Denise

Jeanlea

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2006, 07:22:14 am »
Denise,

I know someone on another message board who had work done on her face after the AN surgery.  Her smile was very droopy and now she looks great.   You will be happy with your surgery I think.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Obita

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2006, 08:24:35 am »
To my friend Denise:

Charles Manson looks like a freak.  You do not. You look like a pretty lady with a soon to be fixed facial injury.  Try to look at the bright side, insurance will pay for your face-lift but they sure as hell won't pay for mine!!  The wrinkles on my AN side are twice as pronounced as the ones on my good side.

Thinking of you, your older wrinkled friend,  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Vincent Michael

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2006, 06:18:44 pm »
Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum.  I read the comments of other members and they shared about their post-op facial paralysis.  What was the facial paralysis due to facial nerve damage?  Was the facial nerve crushed, streteched or cutted during surgery?

For those who had significant cut of their facial nerve, what are the chances of recovery and how much facial motor movement can be regained?  Has anyone of you who had significant facial nerve damage experienced significant facial motor movement recovery?   If so, was there any treatment to enhance recovery?

DeniseSmith

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2006, 06:59:00 am »
Kathy
You are a SUPER person.  Your post made me laugh.   I keep telling Darren after August, i will lookl 20 on the left side and 45 on the right, and that he will only want to stand on my left side.   He tells me to hush up.

Jeanlea,
I am hopeful for the Aug surgery. I have been emailing with Kathleen Mc, she had a similar surgery.

Vincent,
My nerve was cut due to my tumor being emeshed in my facial nerve like speghetti.  My tumor was quite large at 4+ cm, cutting the facial nerve was my only option, in order to get all the tumor out.  As my dr. said I have had one of the least optimal results he has seen in a long time for an AN patient.  It sucks, I get pretty depressed, but when i am depressed i come on this sight and it helps for me to vent.  It also helps because even though i have to deal with this face, unfortunately,  there are others on this site, who i think have a tougher time, with migraines and vertigo, and not being able to work.   

I hope that last statement came out alright, and I didn't offend anyone.  This is a great website and the people i have emailed with and the ones i have spoken too are SUPER!! and  extemely supportive.

Denise

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2006, 12:52:07 pm »
Well, maybe this little story will make you all giggle some   I had GK in April. In the middle of May I went to get my hair cut. I told my hairdresser about my problem, because I wanted him to be aware of the pin sites and such. He asked me about my ailment and I said,(condensed version)  well along with this and that I have some facial numbness on the left side.  He said words to the effect that he noticed my drooping face on that side and that must explain what he saw.  I just looked in the mirror and thought, well, I don't know what I thought...since I don't have facial paralysis!! That was like a stab to the heart!! :'( Guess I need a face lift....
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Obita

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2006, 05:08:05 am »
Sue:

Bet that made your day (or not) !!  Humor gets us through this.  Have you been looking in the mirror ever since?  I sure did after I read your post. Thanks alot!!  Damn,  I need a left sided face lift.

Have a good day everyone,  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

DeniseSmith

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2006, 06:33:29 am »
No you don't Kathy, you look awesome!!  I would never have guessed you went through the same surgery as I did.!!!

Denise

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2006, 07:59:40 am »
Vincent: When the nerve is totally cut (or in my case essentially removed) during surgery there is no healing that will make it function again....unless the doctor reattaches the ends during the inital surgery in hopes that it will eventually work. Think of the facial nerve as an extension cord between your electic saw and the outlet providing power, if it's totally cut it doesn't work.....if you splice the ends back together and wrap it in electrical tape it might work and it might not. If the cord (or nerve) is only damaged the saw may work and may not (or the face may have movement and may not). The doctor's can replace missing nerve with other nerve from elsewhere in the body and in time it may function to a certain degree but not necessarily exactly the way the facial nerve did....and so on.
I find it interesting the some doctor's tell people that thier facial nerve was cut during surgery and that the facial movement may return in time, how could that be when the nerve isn't attached to the brain anymore?
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

DeniseSmith

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2006, 11:02:03 am »
Kathleen,
They did try to reattach mine, only it did not take.  So there was some hope that it might reconnect.  I don't think my drs. mislead me or gave me false hope.  I did that to myself.  He said IF it does reconnect it will take 12-18 months.  I heard it WILL reconnect in 12-18 months.

Denise

Karen

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2006, 04:32:33 pm »
This is for Denise.  I had the 12/7 tongue/facial nerve graft done two years ago a month after my surgery.  The doctors knew my facial nerve was severed.  Like yours the tumor was all involved with my facial nerve.  Do you have the numbness?  I also have a gold weight.  If you would like to talk to me e-mail me back at ikeeyes@hotmail.com.  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

jacobs

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2006, 07:33:50 pm »
 Denise,I hope your surgery goes well.What is the recovery time for the nerve graft? I too have been told ,IF the facial nerve regenerates after they tried to reconnect it.My docto ralso told me about your  type of procedure as an option for the future.
 I live and work in the same neighbourhood and find myself looking in the other direction  when I pass people I know through work but who don't know what has happened.
 I am getting tired of people saying "you look great" when I don't feel that way...(that's my self pity for the day)
 The only good thing that has come of the paralysis is that I have a great "poker face" now.
 Take care and I hope the waiting for your upcoming surgery isn't as stressful as waiting for AN surgery.
                                                                                        Jacobs
Translab April 24,2006 3.5x2.5cm
Sunnybrook Hospital,Toronto.Dr.Chen&Dr.Perusmen
Left side facial paralysis,gold weight in eyelid &"deaf on the left"
now I'm a true canadian...EH?