Author Topic: Facial Paralysis??  (Read 23361 times)

steph

Re: Facial Paralysis??
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2005, 08:42:15 am »
Hi Jan, the movement on your mouth is a great sign. I had my surgery in sept 04 and it took 7 months for me to get any movement. Now I have no droop, my face looks symetrical, I even get a pretty good smile when I work at it. It takes time and I think everyone is different. I know it's hard and boy do I have my bad days but you are on your way. I also had the weight put in in July and I like it overall. I have to put less drops in during the day and it is less dry when I wake up (I still tape it down at night). Good luck, keep  your chin up (no pun intended)  ;)

Boppie

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 01:27:57 am »
Why does tongue numbness remain for a longer time than all the rest?  Is this true for you, or is each facial recovery different?

luv2teachsped

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 06:17:02 pm »
Boppie - I agree.  It has been 8 mo. post surgery.  My tongue and cheek are still somewhat numb.  The inside of my cheek(AN side) and my bottom lip constant have lovely bite marks!ouch! ;Dluv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

kimmy

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 03:14:42 am »
Jan. My AN side has gone up "too far" and is now higher than the good side. My smile is crooked and my eye closes when I talk or eat. People say it doesn't show unless I mention it first but I am very conscious of it and wonder if this is how it will stay. Anybody know the answer?
1.5cm. Translab at Manchester Royal Infirmary. August 2005

Cheryl R

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2006, 07:17:10 am »
This is called synkinesis and as the nerve healed  not quite right ,it causes the muscles to move wrong.            It can be controlled a little with some work but probably not gone completely.   
   I have some also.             Look under www.bellspalsy.ws     and there is some info under the fascial retaining on it.                            Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

kimmy

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2006, 12:11:06 pm »
I looked on the  www.bellspalsy site and it was interesting to read what was going on with my face. It certainly is synkinesis. There were exercises to do but I read on "our" Forum that it wasn't always wise to do them because they could cause synkinesis. Confused now and wondering whether it continues to get worse or if this is it. Has anyone had facial therapy, did it work out OK?
1.5cm. Translab at Manchester Royal Infirmary. August 2005

duongvan

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 01:48:31 am »
Wind6: You said you had a gold bar put it in; I have a few questions regarding  to that because I am planning for that as well. Do you recommend to have a gold bar put it in? How was that feel like before and after surgery?

Do you have to wear a special kind of glass in addition to the gold bar? My eye is killing me right now, I can't see clear, always blurry because of the ointment. Do you look as if you eye drool a little? Please write thanks. Van,
3.5 cm Sub-occipital; Northern CA, DR. Stephen Nutik- 1/6/06

Terri

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 10:11:53 pm »
Kimmy: Facial therapy is a great idea, and a facial neuromuscular therapist can help you eliminate synkinesis with a well designed exercise routine. Be sure to go a therapist that has been trained by Jacqueline Diehls, who is the leader in this area. They are listed on the Bells Palsy site.

Terri
2.2cm AN
Translab 9/30/03
Mark Ercius & Michael Fucci

Angela

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 06:06:54 pm »
I'm 15m post-op and still have total facial paralysis.  The facial nerve was intact but did not stimulate after surgery.  Still, the doctors told me it would probably recover in 6m.  An EMG at 8m showed nothing.  The follow-up EMG at 12m showed no change.  No twitching, no nothing.

I'm getting acupuncture but there's minimal progress and only during the treatment, not at any other time.  What I would give to have problems like twitches or asymmetry!

I can close the right eye if I think about it but it doesn't blink.  I have 2 tear duct plugs so that I don't have to use "Refresh Liquigel" constantly.  I wear a clear "bubble" shield on my eye during sleep and put 'goop' in my eye.

An aquaintence, and fellow AN-er, wears temporary weights on his eye everyday and seems ok with it.
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)

Jeanlea

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006, 07:48:21 pm »
I have a question about facial paralysis.  I'm 8 months post-op with facial paralysis and numbness on my left side.  My facial nerve was intact after surgery.  I haven't had an EMG done though.  I am often feeling twitches and other feelings in my face.  At 3 months I noticed the slightest movement on my face.  I have a little more movement now, but still no smile or real blink.  If your face doesn't come out of facial paralysis at all do you still feel the twitching?  At 6 months my doctor told me my face would not come back.  Reading some of your posts I see that it can take a very long time.  Guess I just want some reason to feel that things will still improve. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Battyp

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2006, 09:22:46 pm »
Jean why no emg?  My post surgical testing indicated that my facial nerve is intact it's my trigiminal nerve that is my problem.  From what I've learned they can test to see where the facial nerve is.  I was originally told that they would consider doing nerve grafts at the one year mark if my face didn't come back.  Unf. the nerve causing the problem I've been told can not be fixed :o(  Hoping it will still regenerate some. 

Karen

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2006, 07:23:44 pm »
How many others have problems with the trigimenal nerve?  I have the numbness that really bothers me.  Have you been told that nothing can be done?  How about your eye is it numb?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

onebadass350bird

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2006, 12:54:35 pm »
How many others have problems with the trigimenal nerve?  I have the numbness that really bothers me.  Have you been told that nothing can be done?  How about your eye is it numb?  Karen

I'm telling you Michelle, the sensation will not come back all at the same time nor will it come back evenly.  It will more then likely start to come back in small little patches that you won't notice unless you look for them.  Are you looking for them?  I know are about 9 months post op right?  I think you're at the perfect time to start lookin'.  Pick up a 12 pack, soda or beer, your choice, lol, and through them in the fridge.  At least once a week pop one out nice and cold and BEFORE, lol, you open it, slowly run it along the bad side of your face  and look for small places that you might be able to feel it.  I do this and only have a small place near my the outside of my eyebrow, a little bit on the middle of my cheekbone and a small strip between my face and my ear that runs verticle along with a small area on the side of my nose.  What I'm getting at is, I think in the last couple months is that those spots that I mentioned have gotten a little bit bigger(maybe 10-15%) over the last 3 months or so but would never have known without looking for it.

Tom
17 hour Retrosigmoid on 10/19/05 for removal of 4cm AN

Battyp

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2006, 05:29:05 pm »
Oh how I wish it was that easy!  I feel hot, cold, pressure and movement.  I don't feel if you stick a pin in my face, my tongue feels hot cold and pressure but no taste and feels swollen.  It still feels like a lot of novicane shots from the dentist office.  I'm anxiously awaiting my appt next month with the surgeon to get his take, but think I already know the answer  :(

jacobs

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2006, 08:15:54 pm »
 In response to duongvan and the gold weight.I am 5 weeks post op from a 2.5 cm translab.During the surgery the surgeon had to cut my facial nerve.They decided at that time to put a gold weight in my eyelid.Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be heavy enough and my eye only blinks halfway on its own.I am using drops during the day and lacrilube and a plastic wrap patch at night.My opthamologist said he would have put in a heavier weight if he had done the surgery.I didn't wear eyeglasses before the surgery but since have bought a pair if frames and just had a non presciption lens put in.This seems to help by acting as a barrier against wind,dust air conditioning etc.
 Hope this is helpful.
Translab April 24,2006 3.5x2.5cm
Sunnybrook Hospital,Toronto.Dr.Chen&Dr.Perusmen
Left side facial paralysis,gold weight in eyelid &"deaf on the left"
now I'm a true canadian...EH?