Author Topic: Hi..I am a NEWBIE!~ a 3rd grade teacher...who has time for a tumor?? ;)  (Read 3884 times)

wanda mullins

• underthebrainbow.com
    • underthebrainbow.com
Well, Hello! :)
I am 44 years old and I am a mother of 2... I live in Huntsville, Alabama....GUESS WHAT?! There is a tumor in my BRAIN!
I just found out the night before school stated this year. My surgery is set  for Dec. 17th. at Vanderbilt. I am scared...but full of faith....queasy but full of hope....So, I did not find very many blogs that were I really connected with SO, I started one. Feel free to visit it.... it is http://underthebrainbow.com .... Dancing in the HEAR and now.
I am not ever sure what questions I have... I think  they have all be answered... I just am swimming in the unknowns....
I love this forum... this place where were can come with our questions. We all have this mass in common... ::)
Ready to pull up my britches and walk through this brainstorm... yes... I have my galoshes, too!  ;D
wanda
http://underthebrainstorm.com
new to this ANA stuff .... I am still going to dance in the HEAR and now!;)

alabamajane

Re: Hi..I am a NEWBIE!~ a 3rd grade teacher...who has time for a tumor?? ;)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 02:40:01 pm »
Welcome from one AL  girl to another ! ;D

Sorry you have been diagnosed with one,, but you have found great spot to land,,, if we can help on your journey,, we want to be here,, this is one situation that not too many people can relate or help answer questions or just "talk you through" the hard times,  but we can!!

Best of luck in the next couple of months with upcoming surgery,,, Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 02:03:05 pm »
Dear Wanda,

Welcome to caring spot to be in this ANA forum is a welcoming one, full of caring individuals like yourself in all walks of life. Myself,( I am 56 and was diagnosed in 2004) At first it's scary it really is but when you've settled down some and done a ton of research, you will be overwhelmed at first and feel different. You will certainly learn a lot about yourself, don't count out your strength and resilience as long as you go into this with a positive attitude, you should do fine!

You may be shocked to realize that acquaintances you have made may start to retreat once they hear that you have a brain tumor but assure them that it is a benign one. There is a difference between malignant and benign.

I know how alone you can feel I traveled this AN journey alone at first in 2004, going to 14 neurosurgeons (wanting to avoid brain surgery) you see I had had a previous brain surgery in 1974 for an AVM (totally nonrelated) What a waste of time that was! After which I spent years recovering my speech and strengthening and adapting my left side. In 2004, I thought how often does lightening (brain operation) strike twice, I was shocked to say the least!

Please be assured that you have found a safe place to come at whatever hour that you like.and discuss whatever you'd like....I know it is often sleepless once you are newly diagnosed... Here we can and will help if you'll let us. You have discovered a fountain of knowledge!

What you have to do now is first research the size, then with your trusted physician (neurologist) decide on the treatment modality that you would like whether it is surgery or radiation and be sure to get treated at a well respected center, I have found that the number of operations done is generally among good surgeons in the hundreds, and then proceed with treatment.

Depending on the size of your tumor is the first step toward proper treatment. you may want 3 opinions, to be sure.

Good luck, I will be praying for you. Once again, discovering a tumor is a chance to slow down and reprioritze things in your life, at least it was for me.

For more on it read THE YELLOW FLAG.

one of your new friends,

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 02:19:15 pm »
Wanda,

Correction the surgery (in 1974) was essential and not a waste of time, what was a waste of time was the six months I spent on my own researching and panicking when this website existed in 2004, I could have come here then instead I was misdirected to a website primarily for malignant tumors.

If you read my bio at the bottom you will discover that I had my tumor debulked from 3.1 cm and then in 2012 Gamma Knife radiation was given to me.

Sorry for not proofreading my post before posting!

You can PM me if you wish!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!