Author Topic: Very, Very, Very Happy that I have the Scleral Lens!  (Read 33013 times)

Jill Marie

Very, Very, Very Happy that I have the Scleral Lens!
« on: September 19, 2013, 11:09:45 pm »
Hi fellow Scleral Lens users and those struggling with eye issues!  Just want to let you know that the lens is working great for me, so well in fact that I haven't had time to post.  Went camping Labor Day weekend and again last weekend and head out again in the morning.  We're camping in a place that has lots of poplar trees to block the wind, in the past I wouldn't have camped there because the wind would be to hard on my eye, now I don't care!  We have been hiking quite a bit and it is so wonderful not to have to stop and put eye ointment in my eye all the time, I get to just keep on hiking and enjoying the view!  I've been spending more money lately on things I want to buy because I don't have to spend so much money buying eye ointment. 

This is our last camping trip for the year so soon I will sit down and reply to others posts about the lens.  I'm hoping that those of us that have the scleral lens can help those that need the lens get one.  The lens can help anyone with a dry eye get comfort, it takes a bit of getting use to but it's worth it.  My lens only cost me $250 others cost more, our doctors are working with us to get the Insurance companies to pay for them.  It will take a bit for the Insurance companies to recognize the lens as a medical necessary not just a contact lens you want because you don't like glasses.  We get to be a part of history by paving the way for future ANer's that need dry eye relief.  Hopefully soon it will be common practice for Insurance companies to cover the lens and for AN doctors and eye doctors to steer dry eye patients towards the lens instead of making them suffer through the pain. 

Please feel free to ask questions about the lens!  Jill Marie 8)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:49:31 pm by Jill Marie »
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Very, Very, Very Happy that I have the Scleral Lens!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 05:54:41 am »
The first thing I told my doc is that I LOVE the wind in my face!  My insurance company finally agreed the lens is medically necessary - they paid their 'maximum amount allowed for lens' - approx. $350.00  Not much but I'll take it.
Now the bad news: I have a crack in my lens :( !!  I accidentally dropped it while taking it out (& I'm leaving for Italy Oct. 5th!).  I just emailed my doc to see if I can get another lens by Oct. 4th without the Rx since I still wear glasses.  Lesson to me:  always have a towel on the surface in case the lens drops!  I am still wearing it - the saline only stays about 1/2 full in the lens...
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jill Marie

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 10:46:18 pm »
Hi Nancyann,

So sorry to hear that you cracked your lens, the timing couldn't be worse could it!  Hopefully the doctor can get you another lens before your trip to Italy.  I know what a difference the lens will make so you can really enjoy yourself, you deserve it!  If he can't get another scleral lens for you I suggest that you try and get a lens like I have.  Yes, I call my lens a scleral lens but it really isn't.  It's a gas permeable lens and they come in different sizes, mine is smaller than your scleral lens but it works great and would only cost you about $250.  My eye doctor gave me a loaner lens the first day I walked into her office so hopefully your eye doctor could do the same for you.  It would make a good back up lens for the future as well.  I plan on getting a back up lens myself.  I have dropped my lens a couple of times but luckily it didn't break. 

As for the Insurance, glad they covered it, wish they had paid more but at least it's a start.  I still haven't paid for my lens I got back in January.  The insurance company covered it but put it under my deductible because the Optical Department isn't on the preferred provider list.  There aren't any Optical companies on the preferred list because the Insurance doesn't cover glasses or contact lenses.  My eye doctor is trying to get the lens billed through her office but the process is slow. 

Please let me know how it goes with trying to get a new lens and please try to get a different lens if they can't get you the one you need you will be surprised at how well it works and how easy it is to work with. 

Good luck, Jill  :)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 06:33:53 pm »
Hi Jill: thanks for the pm - I just wrote back.  Thank God I can still wear the lens - it fills about 1/2 up w/ saline, so I'm good to go.
Will ask my doc about your scleral lens when I get back from vacation.
Just the thought of possibly going back to lubricant sent chills up my spine!  I can't imagine life without the lens!
Always good thoughts, Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 07:13:19 pm »
Yikes. I am so sorry about your lens, Nancy. I have dropped mine in the sink before, but fortunately without damage. I think my eye doctor would let me have the looser lens for a backup if it became necessary, though.

Is the crack in the middle or along the edge of your lens? I am having a hard time figuring out why it would only fill halfway.

This also reminds me that I need to contact my insurance company to ensure that my eye doctor has submitted my medical record for my appeal.

Take care, guys.
Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 05:43:50 pm »
I can't see the crack, but depending on how I hold it, it fills only 1/2 way, or all the way, so it must be somewhere along the upper edge.  Must be like a hairline since I can't see it when I hold it up to a light.  Thank God I can still wear it.  Good luck w/ the insurance, keep at it.  I only got back a total of a little over $500. - $200. of which was deductible for out of network doc.
Always good thoughts, Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

ginsue

• Life is like a mirror – you get back what you give
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 12:34:12 pm »
I just got mine yesterday. Wow! I have a RX in mine. Not only am I trying to get used to the lens  but I am also getting used to actually seeing out of my right eye.  I haven't seen out of that eye clearly in almost 22 years.  See I have worn glasses that both sides are made with the lenses for my left eye vision.  Since the tumor removal my right eye changed shape and now requires a very very thick lens and my left eye has a thin lens. I never got used to the vision change so my brain ignored that vision.  So now I have a double whammy.  I will keep you update.
Oh, my insurance covered mine under my medical but had to go before the board.  The eye doctor didn't submit it at first telling me that insurance wouldn't cover. After I cleared up that I had pre-approved it then it took them three times to get their codes right.  They just aren't used to filing medical claim since there is separate eye insurance or no coverage at all.
1991 tumor size- tennis ball (6.7 cm - Wikipedia)
facial paralysis, deaf, balance issues
1997gold weight and facial reconstruction
May 2013 SoundBite
Oct. 2013 Scleral lens

Jill Marie

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 11:23:03 pm »
I'm really glad to hear that you got your lens.  It's amazing how different we all are in what has happened to us.  I sometimes wonder if I'm doing something wrong as others don't have the issues I have then I find that I don't have the same issues you and others have.  Yes, it takes some getting use to but in the end I'm hoping you find it to be worth the effort.  I still use some ointment so my vision isn't clear. 

Please let us know how you are doing, ask us questions and hopefully we can answer them or at least give you some assistance.  We are here for moral support as well.  Still can't believe how lucky I am to have the lens!  Looking forward to hearing how it's going!  Jill :)

ginsue

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 11:03:21 pm »
Hi Jill,
Things are going ok, not perfect.  I'm use to my vision with the corrective RX lens which is great. I still use ointment too at night when I take out the lens before bed. The insertion and removal are going better with fewer attempts . My problem is the mucus that forms on my lens, it doesn't clump but makes my lens 
 cloudy about two or three hours after putting it in.  The only thing that seems to work is taking it out and cleaning it then putting it back in. :-\  I went back to the eye doctor this Monday which made it one week wearing the lens and he told me this is a common problem wearers have.  I see him in another month to see how things are going.  I wish I could clean it without taking it out,  I've tried rinsing it with saline without results.  I'm still glad to have it though it will take getting used to.

Any input will be greatly appreciated,  Sue
May 2013 SoundBite
Oct. 2013 Scleral lens

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 01:10:11 pm »
Sue, what kind of drops are you using to fill your lens? I have found that sterile saline marketed for nebulizer use, which has no lubricant or buffers, works best for me. The best price I have found is at amazon (http://www.amazon.com/5ml-Sterile-Saline-Solution-Quantity/dp/B0070P30EQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=35ZHW3DI0OFU4&coliid=I16GKDK5A579MC).

When I was still using ointment at night the sceral clouded up and slipped around on my eye. I do better now that I have switched to gel drops at night in combination with a Quartz eye shield (http://www.dryeyeshop.com/quartz-p346.aspx).
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

ginsue

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 08:18:32 pm »
Hi Saralynn
I am using preservative free saline Unisol 4™  ingredients are sodium chloride, boric acid and sodium borate that's it.  It is hard to find.  I have only found it at Walgreen's.  It comes in a box with three 4 ounce bottles and sells for $11. I'm using sooth by Bausch & Lomb at night.  After my shower in the morning I wash my eye out with the p/f saline before putting my scleral lens in.  I will hold back the ointment tonight and just use my rewetting drops.  My gold weight works well in closing my eye at night so I'll give this a go and see if my cloudiness improves tomorrow.  If so I may need to invest in some goggles.

I'll try this for a couple days then keep posting until I get this figured out.  My SoundBite is more user friendly.  LOL One must keep up with technology to try to ease the side effects of the AN.

Thanks for the advise, Sue

May 2013 SoundBite
Oct. 2013 Scleral lens

ginsue

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 08:30:41 pm »
Decided to vaseline and saran wrap and make my own moisture chamber.  Let's see if it is on when I wake !?!
May 2013 SoundBite
Oct. 2013 Scleral lens

ginsue

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 10:09:37 pm »
I am doing great. Not using ointment makes a BIG difference.  I have been using Vaseline around my eye and putting Saran wrap on the eye to keep in moisture.  I will invest in a pair of goggles to save time.  I am looking for only one eye to be covered almost like a patch, wish me luck with that.  I have seen it but where !?!?
May 2013 SoundBite
Oct. 2013 Scleral lens

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:21:48 am by saralynn143 »
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

ginsue

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 02:02:36 pm »
Oh thank you Saralynn. This saved me sooooo much time.  :)
May 2013 SoundBite
Oct. 2013 Scleral lens