Author Topic: SSD and job applications  (Read 3593 times)

suz

SSD and job applications
« on: August 14, 2013, 08:00:22 pm »
Hello AN community,
It has been a really long time since I have a question.
My shortened story is this: I had my surgery in 2010 for my left AN; initially had good hearing preservation in that ear but 6 months post surgery I had a substantial decline. While I still have some hearing on that side, it is fairly useless in terms of word recognition and clarity. Hence, my audiologist and Neurotologist explained that my brain has essentially shut down receiving stimulus from that side. I finally have tried out a hearing aid and found it helpful and plan to get one in the next calendar year.

In the meantime, I have applied for several new jobs. I have worked for the same employer for 21 years, so it has been awhile since I have had to do go through that process. On every application there is now a question that reads something like this: "Are you capable of perfroming the duties of the job without reasonable accomodations"? and then the reverse question, "Are there any duties for which you would need an accommodation"?
I have answered 'yes' and 'no' respectively, but I am concerned that when it becomes clear that my hearing is not normal (especially when I get the hearing aid) that it will appear as though I have lied on my job application. On the other hand, I don't want to say that I would need an accomodation to perform the job because I don't want to appear "disabled" or needy. I currently have a job that actually involves listening to monitors and I function well in spite of my hearing loss.
Essentially my question is about the legal aspect of reporting hearing loss. Is SSD considerred a disability? Do others out there state that they require accommodations to perform their duties? Has anyone had experience with this?
Thanks,
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: SSD and job applications
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 07:48:09 am »
I finally have tried out a hearing aid and found it helpful and plan to get one in the next calendar year.

Why wait?

In the meantime, I have applied for several new jobs. I have worked for the same employer for 21 years, so it has been awhile since I have had to do go through that process. On every application there is now a question that reads something like this: "Are you capable of perfroming the duties of the job without reasonable accomodations"? and then the reverse question, "Are there any duties for which you would need an accommodation"?
I have answered 'yes' and 'no' respectively,

Exactly right.

but I am concerned that when it becomes clear that my hearing is not normal (especially when I get the hearing aid) that it will appear as though I have lied on my job application.

As long as the employer doesn't have to make an accommodation, you haven't lied. And if you get hearing aids, he won't have to.

On the other hand, I don't want to say that I would need an accomodation to perform the job because I don't want to appear "disabled" or needy.

That would be the kiss of death. It's against the law to discriminate against the disabled but employers do it anyway and get away with it in subtle ways and gamble that the employee doesn't have the money to litigate or doesn't want the hassle of an EEOC complaint.

I currently have a job that actually involves listening to monitors and I function well in spite of my hearing loss.

Good.

Essentially my question is about the legal aspect of reporting hearing loss.

There are no "legal" aspects until you are discriminated against. Meantime, it's nobody's business but yours.

Do others out there state that they require accommodations to perform their duties?

I didn't have to address that question because I retired long before my AN and hearing loss.

But if I had to address it today I would answer the questions exactly how you've answered them and not reveal anything to my employer.

Nor would I discuss it with fellow employees. Fellow employees are not your friends. They will stab you in the back if it suited them.

Has anyone had experience with this?

My experience with 45 years in corporate America is that you don't tell your employer anything even remotely negative because your employer will cheerfully use it against you with impunity.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 07:50:06 am by arizonajack »
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Nannybee

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 11:25:47 am »
Suz,
My first suggestion would be to carefully read the job description for those positions you are applying for. Each employer may have different descriptions. You are answering the accommodation question for the specific job. Believe it or not, I do direct patient care, see about 15 patients per day and my job description states: Talk or Hear, not applicable!
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear

suz

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 08:34:22 pm »
Thanks for the info ArizonaJack and NannyBee,

I really appreciate the feedback. Arizona, I am waiting to get the hearing aid so that I can use my flexible spending account (tax free) funds in January of 2014. I have waited this long - and actually thought that there was not a good hearing aid option for me so I never pursued one. I don't know where this inaccurate idea came from! I think I misunderstood something said at one doc appointment....

ANyway, Nannybee you made me really thing about the different responsibilities I would have in the jobs I applied for and mostly they involve one-on-one communication which is generally fine for me. It's the group settings, background noises, etc that throw me off. SO I don't think that I misrepresented myself.

Best, Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 09:59:00 am »
Funny you brought this up. Watching the news this morning, a young woman who has been in a wheel chair for 7 years has been swimming in the para-olympics, and won a gold medal. However, a POSSIBLE cure may have been found to correct her neurological back problem. She has been denied entry into the next olympics...because she MIGHT be cured. She is still in her wheel chair, still a cripple.

Your first responsibility is to your self. If you can do your job, just keep your head down and do it. Your boss will let you know if there is a problem. 

That young woman should be swimming, dragging her legs behind her just like her competition does.

I am old enough to remember a TV show called "Sing Along With Mitch". Mitch Miller was a band leader and his show was about him leading his band and the words were broadcast so you could "sing along with Mitch." His opening always the same song, and part of it was "be kind to your web footed friends, a duck may be some bodies mother, be kind to your two headed friends, two heads are better than one." Well two ears are better than one, but one ear is better than none...just keep your head down a do your job...keep on swimming.