Author Topic: Not What Was Expected  (Read 2616 times)

vanleuven7

Not What Was Expected
« on: June 10, 2013, 11:57:46 pm »
Hello everyone, my name is Jim. In February of this year I was diagnosed with a small 7mm AN on the left after going to the ER for balance and vertigo issues. I had a meeting with Dr. Backous at Swedish in Seattle and decided to go ahead with a middle fossa approach to remove the tumor. Went on March 12th to have the surgery. Long story short, Dr. Backous got in there and found a Facial Neuroma wrapped around the acoustic nerve as well and pressing on the balance nerve. He decided to decompress the canal and leave the tumor. I have since had facial paralysis that has gotten much better than at first, but still present. Poor vision in my eye. Pain in my head and face and ear. And twitching. I've been considering going for a second opinion. I wish he had just removed the tumor and dealt with whatever afterwards instead of having it and not knowing what will be get better and what wont. My biggest concern is that the Vertigo is back after 2 months of not having it after surgery. Also the right side of my face and neck, the opposite side of the tumor, has begun twitching daily and strong tinnitus off and on. Thanks for everything. 

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Not What Was Expected
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 09:36:31 am »
What is Dr Backous' opinion?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 02:09:12 pm »
Hi, Jim ~

Taking your new symptoms into consideration, not only would I insist on a consult with Dr. Backous to ascertain what he thinks should be done, now, but whatever his opinion may be, I would definitely seek a second opinion from a physician with extensive experience with AN surgery.

(another)
   Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

vanleuven7

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 01:19:01 pm »
I called Dr. Backous and he suggested I walk with a walking stick and that I need to give it more time to recover. I have set up an appointment with a Dr. Ferriera at the University of Washington for a second opinion. Has anyone else experienced symptoms on the opposite side?

Chances3

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 11:09:53 am »
Hi Jim,

Wow man, you're going through a lot.  I had middle fossa back in Oct. 2010 - it was very challenging recovery for me.  It took 18 months to feel somewhat normal again, but I never fully recovered back to normal.  I did learn that healing seems to take much longer when dealing with this operative place of the human body.

You never mentioned why your doctor left the tumor in there?  I also agree with the other posts, I would seek out another opinion.  Hope all goes will with you.

Regards,

Bob

vanleuven7

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 02:46:11 pm »
I'm not exactly sure why it was left in. He said that it was left because it was so tightly wrapped around my facial nerve.