Author Topic: Update on scleral lens process  (Read 9706 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Update on scleral lens process
« on: May 31, 2013, 01:42:20 pm »
If my eye doctor was 10% satisfied with the last lens, he is 80% satisfied with this one. We will decide at my appointment next week whether to tighten the fit just a bit more. It settles just a bit under center.

Meanwhile he is designing a custom soft lens for my right eye that he thinks will work better than the standard ones. I will pick it up next week as well.

Today I can wear the scleral for three hour periods with an hour in between. Tomorrow, four hours. Hopefully we will get up to all day wear.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 02:56:33 pm by saralynn143 »
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

saralynn143

• MVD diary
Re: Second scleral lens
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 07:55:54 pm »
I have worn the lens for three 4-hour segments today. I am making notes of how well different drops work with the lens. For example, Refresh Optive Advanced seems to put a cloudy film on the lens. Tomorrow I will try to keep it in for 5 hours and work up from there. My goal is to wear it all day.

I think I may ask the doctor to try one step tighter, but keep this lens in case the next one is too tight.

Looking forward to trying the custom soft lens on the right.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Jill Marie

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 07:42:46 pm »
Hi Sara,

So glad to hear things are going so well, can't wait to hear you get to wear it all day!  When I was being fitted for my lens sometimes I had to get a different one and sometimes the doctor was able to make a small adjustment to get it to work right.  Hopefully the next lens is perfect for you so all you have left to do is work up to all day wear and figure out the right drops for clear vision.  It shouldn't be long before you are an old hat at putting in the lens and your new custom soft lens so you can really enjoy your summer and all the benefits of the lenses. 

I just got back from a trip to see some relatives for a graduation party and it was so nice to be able to nap in the truck on the way and just leave the lens in, didn't have to pack all the stuff I usually do and of course wasn't putting in eye ointment all the time despite the breeze. 

Take Care, Jill :)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Jill Marie

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 07:44:41 pm »
Hi Sara,  When do you get the lenses and how is the wearing going?  Jill Marie
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 06:36:27 am »
I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon to pick up the custom soft lens. I believe we will also try for a tighter fit on the left scleral.

Yesterday I drove my son to Kansas City to spend a week with his aunt and uncle. It was supposed to be a 7-hour day but turned out to be 12. The only problem I had was when the lens drifted down a bit and I had to nudge it back into place. It seems to fit better over the course of the day, maybe as there is a little less fluid. I plan to ask about that tomorrow.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

saralynn143

• MVD diary
Re: Update on scleral lens process
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 03:01:32 pm »
I mentioned that the lens has been fitting better over the course of the day. When I went in today, the doctor said that the lens was perfectly centered and looked great. He does not think it is a good idea to tighten the fit any more than it is. I am cleared to wear it for 12 hours. I am scheduled to go back in 2 weeks for a check.

I received the custom fit soft lens for the right side. It does not move around on my eye but my vision is not nearly as sharp as the left lens. I can get a second lens with a bit more correction, but because it is a soft lens it won't be as sharp as the scleral. I am going to decide over the weekend whether to pursue the lens, or stick with wearing glasses for driving.

The insurance company has not yet approved nor denied the claim.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Jill Marie

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 08:17:04 pm »
Hi Sara,

Glad to hear you can wear the lens 12 hours now, what a difference that will make.  Did he say whether you can eventually wear it longer, I put mine in when I get up and wear it tell I'm ready for bed, usually 16 hours.  Bet you will have a nice weekend with your lens in most of the day!  Jill :)

KBL

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 03:07:52 pm »
I have been wearing scleral lens for a week now.  I saw my eye Dr. today and she is happy with how my eye is reacting.  I have had blurry vision since my eye quit producing tears.  With the lens my distance is 20/20.  Near vision requires readers.  She said my eye health looks 80% better in just a week.  I was putting eye drops in constantly and the results were no where as good as these lens. :)  I am pleased with them.  Karen
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 07:07:35 pm »
Great news, Karen. Are you wearing sclerals in both eyes or just one?
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

KBL

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 11:14:23 am »
We went with correction with both eyes.  My challenge right now is having lost my near vision while wearing the contacts. Hence the readers.    I go back in a couple weeks to see if the contacts have changed the prescription due to the healing that is going on by wearing these contacts.   At that time we will discuss options for my close up vision.  Right now I wear readers around  my neck.
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 07:44:29 pm »
My optometrist made my scleral a multi-focal but it is not so great on near vision. However my other eye is -1ish so I more or less am operating in monovision. I am fine for most near reading, computer, etc. but need readers once in a while. I also wear corrective glasses when I drive although I don't absolutely have to.

We tried a custom soft lens on my right eye, but I did not get enough improvement in distance vision to offset the loss of near vision.

Still no word from the insurance company as of my follow-up visit today. My vision is good, could stand about .25 more in correction. The doc thinks this lens might be too tight, and thought we might need to go back to the last one we tried. I did not care for that one because it slid around and my vision fluctuated. He said we need to consider whether the surface of my eye is getting enough oxygen in the long run. However, he said my cornea looks great and is completely epithelialized.

He wanted me to remove my lens for part of the exam, and I pulled out a little plastic box that I had around the house and had put in a mirror, a few vials of saline, a case and my inserter and remover. He called his assistant in and asked her to look for a source of similar boxes because he wants to put together a similar care kit for all of his scleral patients. He called me the "epitome of practicality." Too bad I didn't think to market them myself.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

KBL

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 03:13:14 pm »
That is a good idea.  I found I still need occasional drops to keep the rest of my eye from being so dry.  (I live in Colorado and it is dry, dry, DRY here.)  Do you use drops during the day, and which have you found to be the best?  I have tried Systane with the contacts and thought they left a film for a few minutes.  Bausch and Lomb's, Smooth Hydration is what I have been using.  I didn't like the
Smooth Hydration for just my eyes without the contacts, it seemed they didn't do enough, but they do not leave a film on the contacts.  I am still open to trying other brands.

I can usually get my left contact in on the first try, the the right one takes several tries, LOL.  Of course there is also an occasional air bubble in the silly thing.

I gave my eye Dr. the post from another thread about insurance paying for them.  ( At least the left one)  She was going to see what she could do but didn't hold out much hope.  Of course if they pay I will let everyone here know.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 03:51:20 pm »
Checkup yesterday - the optometrist is quite pleased with the state of my eye. He wants to see me next July when the lens is a year old. He thinks it will need to be replaced and then serve as a backup lens.

By that time I will decide if I also want a scleral for my right eye since I can't wear a regular lens due to LASIK, or continue to wear my glasses for driving and dealing the rest of the time.

left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09