Author Topic: Experimenting  (Read 5875 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Experimenting
« on: July 06, 2013, 06:01:04 am »
Last visit my optometrist thought that the second scleral might be a bit too tight and was worried about long term oxygenation.

Now that I am no longer using Refresh PM gel at all, the lens does not slide around for half the day. As an experiment, I picked up the first lens and am going to wear them on alternating days to see which does better.

Instead of using Refresh PM at night, I now use TheraTears Gel drops and wear a pair of Quartz eye shields at night. I look like a dork but my eyes feel great in the morning. Sometimes I can wait hours before putting the lens in.

The eye shields come in Quartz (clear) or Onyix (dark): http://www.dryeyeshop.com/onyixquartz-silicone-shields-c101.aspx
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Experimenting
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 05:50:05 pm »
Hi Sara: so glad to hear you don't need to lube anymore at night. I tried not to & my eye got too dry. So, I use the scleral lens all day (yea for me!), but still have to use lubricant & NITEYE bubble bandage at night.
I don't care, I am soooo happy w/ the scleral lens!!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 06:44:52 pm »
Nancyann, I was scared to death to give up the Refresh PM ointment at night. My optometrist kept suggesting it, though, and finally I decided to try. Have you ever tried the Quartz silicon eye shield? I put two drops of TheraTears gel in my left eye right after removing the scleral lens and put the eye shield on. I have to clip the strap in my hair so it does not slip off during the night. In the morning there is a bunch of condensation on the inside of the eye shield so I know it is working. Sometimes I take it off about 4 or 5 in the morning and go back to sleep and my eye still feels great in the morning. I can sometimes wait several hours before I have to put the scleral lens in.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Jill Marie

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 08:59:51 pm »
Hi Saralynn,

More good news, I love it and need it right now!  I saw the Quartz silicon eye shield when I was checking out other things at the Dry Eye Shop but wasn't sure it would work for me so I didn't spend the money on it.  Are they comfortable to sleep in?  I was also concerned about them coming off during the night, sounds like you solved that problem.  When my eye gets better and I'm ready to experiment again I will check into it. 

Thanks for the info., once again I'm so thankful we have this website, we have all gained so much from each other.  Jill Marie
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 09:20:49 pm »
I can't say I like sleeping in it, but it is not too bad. I also use a bite guard when I sleep so I definitely do not feel very glamorous at night.

The first night I did not have it tight enough and it shifted so that it bruised the outside corner of my right (non-affected) eye. Well, not the eye, but the corner where the eyelids meet. But the next night I tightened the strap just a little more and made sure the shields were positioned correctly and all was fine. I do wake up with little indentations in my cheek where the bottom of each silicon shield rests, but it goes away a little while after taking them off.

I bought mine directly from my optometrist. It was a little more expensive than through the Dry Eye Shop, but I got it right away and supported a local business. It's pricy but I think it is worth it in the long run. One of these nights I am even going to try to step down to regular drops instead of the TheraTear Gel Drops and see how that goes.

I keep finding half-used Refresh PM tubes around the house and in purses. I think I am up to half a dozen or so. I had them stashed everywhere so I would never be caught without it. Things are soooo much better now.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 07:42:56 am »
I look like a dork but ....................

Don't we all? LMBO
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Dena King

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 03:12:29 pm »
Hi all, so glad to be in contact.  I wanted to share some news.  I went back to Dr Leclear in Louisville for a recheck on my scleral lens since its about a year old now!  He has really hoped I can go without my lacrilube ointment, but I just can't.  I wear my bubble patches or goggles from thedryeyeshop.com
But still need the ointment just at night one time.  Anyway because of that I am getting a build up on the lens that the normal every night solution of clean care hydrogen peroxide triple action cleanser isn't getting totally cleaned anymore.  He had me order some Menicon Progent deep cleaning solution online.  I don't have it yet, but thought I would pass it on.  It is only a 30 minute soaking solution.  Very strong and I will have to wear gloves, goggles for protection.  Then once cleaning is done I put in my normal overnight solution, then soak in my normal Boston Simplus.   Sounds like a lot of work, but will probably just need to start doing that once every month or less.  It's all good since the lens is the best thing ever! 

Take care, Dena
Lime size AN removed Nov, 1981
Complete left side facial paralysis/hearing loss.
1985-1987 7x11 crossover facial nerve graft surgeries -Julia K. Terzis MD, Norfolk , VA
Left eye tarsarophy 1990
Bi-Cros hearing aids 2011
Received left eye scleral lens, Sept, 2012

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 03:41:19 pm »
Hi Dena, I hope that works for you.

I am still doing well with the Quartz shield. I ran out of TheraTears Gel and tried some Refresh Optive Advanced drops and they are working fine as well. I have to put the drops in right away after removing the scleral lens and then put on the eye shield soon after that or my eye starts to smart. But in the morning my eyes feel great. In fact I can often defer putting the scleral in for a couple of hours.

I no longer alternate between the lenses. I gave up on the first lens because it slides too much and am wearing the second one exclusively. I go for my next checkup on the 19th of this month.

Hope all is well for everyone else out there.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09