Author Topic: 10 days until surgery!  (Read 3872 times)

RachelSta

10 days until surgery!
« on: May 19, 2013, 07:11:21 am »
The headline kind of says it all. 10 days until my AN is gone. I'm pretty nervous/anxious, as is to be expected. I'm a healthy, fit, 42 year old who takes no medication, so the diagnosis has certainly thrown me for a loop. I'm not used to needing any medical attention outside annual exams and the occasional sinus infection. I've lost most of the hearing in my left ear (0% word recognition, over 70db hearing loss), so I will be having translab surgery at the U of Michigan. I'm really hoping that my health will help me recover quickly. My parents are coming for the surgery. My dad will stay for two weeks and my mom is staying for a month. Hopefully, by then I'll be ready to take care of my kids and all that involves.

I have so much to get done in the next 10 days and two of my three kids in are in a soccer tournament over Memorial Day weekend. So, I better get it all done this week while they are in school!

I started a blog to keep family and friends updated regarding my surgery.

http://myansurgery.wordpress.com/

Rachel

char1957

Re: 10 days until surgery!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 07:32:39 am »
Rachel,  You have a great attitude and you are going to do fine!  Losing hearing and balance on one side takes some getting used to, be patient with yourself.  U of M is a great hospital with fabulous docs and surgeons.  You are blessed to be able to go there.  If you ever need someone to talk to please feel free to pm me,  I would even be happy to talk to you on the phone if you like.  I've been where you are and if I can do it, so can you!!! 
Blessings,
Char
2.5 AN right side, diagnosed 12/12/09
Retrosigmoid Surgery 2/8/10
Encompassed 4th-8th Cranial Nerves
Lost hearing and balance w/other deficits
3rd year MRI no regrowth on AN, but found 10mm Menengioma right frontal lobe

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:21:26 am »
Rachel
Wishing you nothing but the best. You will be a postie in no time. We are all here for you if you have questions.

Take care
Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

LH1862

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 11:44:43 am »
rachel, what is the size of your AN?
6mm AN - Right Side (Diagnosed April 2006)
Tinnitus Sufferer
Have not decided what to do yet....

erinflasser

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 12:19:31 pm »
You are going to do great!  I am 12 weeks post op following 100% tumor removal,  and have felt back to my normal self since about 7 weeks post op!  That says a lot considering running & being a mom to 2 kids including a 6 month old at the time of surgery keep me busy!  Don't be too stressed about getting everything done before surgery, because believe me you will appreciate a daily 'outing' once you are home and recovering.  Sunshine and daily outings will help you feel like a human instead of a patient.

Surgery - February 25, 2013
Dr. Jacques Morcos & Dr. Frank Telischi
University of Miami & Jackson Memorial Hospital
100% Tumor Removal
3.5 cm AN
Facial nerve is a-ok!

mesafinn

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 02:07:32 pm »
Thinking of you and wishing you speed, comfort, peace, and all-good-things.

P.

P.S.  Get some pre-treatment rest, too!  Storing your energy will help.
Oct 2012:  Constant Pulsatile Tinnitus
Feb 28, 2013: Dx AN 1.4 cm X .9 mm
April 19, 2013:  GK at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

Some things in my life need to matter less, and other things in my life need to matter more.  So yes, I'm taking this as a "lesson learned experience."

RachelSta

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 07:43:48 pm »
Thanks for the positive thoughts! I had my last day of work today before my surgery (I only work 2 days a week). Tomorrow is my pre-op physical.

LH1862 - my tumor, per my MRI in March, is approximately 7 mm x 10 mm x 5 mm. Not terribly big, but I guess it has completely filled my IAC. I'm wondering if I'm in the small percentage of people who's ANs grow a bit faster based on the quick progression of my hearing loss (in March my hearing was still in A range with 80% word recognition and less than 20db hearing loss). Who knows? I guess I'll find out soon.

Rachel

jtyler

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 10:37:06 am »
Hi Rachel

You and I are having our AN surgery on the same day, May 29th.  You are 42 and I am 43.  if you need anyone to reach out to during your recovery, email me. We can compare notes and photos of incisions...

I am going to House, but in my extensive investigation of places to get surgery, the University of Michigan is among the very best, so I am sure you will be in wonderful hands.  Indeed, I talked to one of their neurosurgeons at U of M, Phil (because he is a friend of a friend) about AN.  I live in Houston, so Michigan was not convenient.

Reading your blog is very helpful to me also, so thanks! I will continue to read it.

I am so sorry to hear about your hearing loss, but at least this means that the surgery route you are taking now will be extremely unlikely to damage your facial nerve.  I have no idea how fast hearing loss usually occurs with an AN, as that is the least of my symptoms.  i dont know if it is usual for symptoms to come on fast or slow. My loss of balance came on so fast (4 weeks ago now) that I went to the emergency room within days (after 9 hours at the ER they told me to leave because they didnt know what was wrong with me... thanks!). I crashed my car the next morning for the very reason that you listed on your blog for why you shouldnt drive after surgery -  I did a shoulder check and got all dizzy... crash (everyone was fine - but the insurance company wont pay for the damage because it was not negligence, but was due to a medical reason!).

Wishing you the best of recoveries.

j

(My surgery is going to be retrosigmoid, for a 2cm by 1.5cm by 1cm AN.) 

neetze1

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 09:46:37 pm »
Rachael,
I took a quick peek at your blog and see you have "the scarf."  I hope it brings you luck!  It was being worn by another when I had my surgery and it brought her luck!   I am sure you will do great!

J,
Good luck to you as well!  I know you are in good hands.  I had my surgery at HEI as well.

Keep us posted!  We will be praying for you both!
Anita
South Jersey
Translab 3/20/13 at HEI for 3.5 centimeter
Dr. Luxford, Dr. Lekovic, Dr. Stefan