Author Topic: Abstract: Sclerals instead of tarsorrhaphy  (Read 5684 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Abstract: Sclerals instead of tarsorrhaphy
« on: May 02, 2013, 04:08:15 pm »
Note sentences in purple.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23073486

Scleral contact lenses as an alternative to tarsorrhaphy for the long-term management of combined exposure and neurotrophic keratopathy.
Weyns M, Koppen C, Tassignon MJ.
Department of Ophthalmology, Antwerp University Hospital, Edegem, Belgium. marlies.weyns@uza.be
Abstract

PURPOSE:
Most ophthalmologists are unaware of the therapeutic applications of gas-permeable scleral contact lenses for the prevention and treatment of ocular complications in patients with facial nerve palsy and concomitant neuroparalysis.

METHODS:
The case reports refer to 3 patients who developed unilateral lagophthalmos and corneal anesthesia after an acoustic neuroma or intracranial tumor resection. Two patients explicitly requested a tarsorrhaphy to be opened because they were incapacitated by the limited visual acuity and visual field. Tarsorrhaphy was not an acceptable aesthetic solution for the third patient. Fluid-ventilated scleral lenses were fitted because they protect the cornea by creating a precorneal fluid reservoir while optimizing visual acuity.

RESULTS:
The follow-up periods were 3, 17, and 18 years. Two patients wear the contact lenses full time, but the wearing time is limited to 10 hours per day for the third patient. All patients were instructed not to wear their lenses while sleeping. Two eyes required a corneal transplant, but lens wear could be resumed 4 to 6 weeks after transplantation. The learning curve for the insertion and removal of this large-diameter lens is the main obstacle for a patient, especially when there is loss of corneal sensation.

CONCLUSION:
Scleral lens wear is a valid long-term alternative to standard treatment options such as tarsorrhaphy for patients with corneal exposure and corneal anesthesia as a consequence of postsurgery facial nerve paralysis. Scleral contact lenses provide these patients with effective protection of the ocular surface in an aesthetically acceptable way while optimizing visual function.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
Re: Abstract: Sclerals instead of tarsorrhaphy
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:30:43 am »
Hi Saralynn143,

Very interesting. I followed the link to the article and noticed the sentence, "Two eyes required a corneal transplant..."

If there were only three patients and two required a corneal transplant, I start to wonder. Do you think there was any connection?

~Anasazi42
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:02:37 am »
Anasazi -

I think that their corneas had already been damaged and the scleral lens was a last-ditch attempt to avoid a transplant.

If the lens had been the cause, the patients would not have been put back into the lens after the transplant. Also it would not be considered as an alternative to tarsorrhaphy for other patients.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 06:04:09 pm »
Anasazi -

I think that their corneas had already been damaged and the scleral lens was a last-ditch attempt to avoid a transplant.

If the lens had been the cause, the patients would not have been put back into the lens after the transplant. Also it would not be considered as an alternative to tarsorrhaphy for other patients.

Sara

Good point. This is very interesting bc of the many things I'm so tired of, one of them is my eye. My face is paralyzed and so my eye doesn't blink. After my AN surgery, I did have the gold weight implanted in my lid, but I still battle my dry eye, and use drops and gels all day & night. Yesterday, I had to make an unplanned visit to my eye doctor who confirmed that I had scratched my cornea, so I'm using antibiotic drops to make sure my eye doesn't get infected. I'm thankful that I can still see, but this AN sure turned out to be the gift that keeps on giving. Thanks for posting this info!
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:05:44 pm »
I am going to be fitted for a scleral lens this coming Thursday. I have kept Refresh PM ointment on my eye 24/7 for almost five years and have been fortunate that my cornea has remained healthy. I am tired of the half blurry vision and have very high hopes for the lens.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

ewchisek

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 09:28:09 pm »
Sara,
How did you scratch your cornea? I'm in your same boat with the facial paralysis and dry eye. I did however, buy these sunglasses from dryeye.com. I forget their name, I think seven eye? But thru are designed to keep moisture in, and they work great! Kind of ugly looking, but I was able to put my drops in before my kids soccer game tonight, then the sunglasses and I was outside from 6-830 and my eye felt GREAT! The sunglasses were $100, the best money I've spent in a while :) I also use refresh celluvic, it's more like a gel, but I find it lasts longer than normal drops..just my little input!
The lens though sounds like something I will look forward to getting to insure my cornea stay health for the long hall...I think I have to wait and see about my nerve grafts success and then I can begin to make my case :) 

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 05:30:39 am »
My cornea is not scratched; I've been very fortunate not to have had corneal issues due to diligent use of Refresh PM. I am just so tired of blurry vision. I used to have a pair of 7eye goggles and I agree they are great help. Unfortunately, my dog chewed them up.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 06:15:53 am »
I am going to be fitted for a scleral lens this coming Thursday. I have kept Refresh PM ointment on my eye 24/7 for almost five years and have been fortunate that my cornea has remained healthy. I am tired of the half blurry vision and have very high hopes for the lens.

That's great Saralynn143! Good luck and let us know how it goes!