Author Topic: Pulsatile Tinnitus  (Read 79204 times)

Tumbleweed

Re: Pulsatile Tinnitus
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 08:19:23 pm »
Some neurosurgeons believe that pulsatile tinnitus is caused by the AN pressing against a blood vessel in the crowded internal auditory canal. The pulsatile tinnitus might go away over time, possibly returning for brief episodes over the years; this has certainly been the case with me.

Possibly coincidentally (but I think not), my pulsatile tinnitus  decreased and then went away as my tumor shrank post-CK.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

phantagrae

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 04:42:19 pm »
I think I was experiencing this last night--I had laid down in bed and my right ear had that muted kind of thumping.  My ear felt very odd for several minutes--stopped up, thumping.  It was distressing because I haven't had this symptom to this extent.  I've had short moments of it now and then, but last night it went on for what seemed like 5 minutes or so.

I'm worried that my ear/hearing may be becoming more affected. :(

I had hoped to work out going to Barrow for CK, but that plan seems to be no longer an option.
Tomorrow I'm seeing the radiosurgeon (or whatever you call him) that's on the team I started with here locally to see about FSR as my ENT had originally suggested.
Numbness on right side of face beginning some time in 2012 through early 2013
MRI 4/15/13
20mm x 19mm x 16mm intra and extra canalicular AN on Right Side.  ("Largely extracanalicular")
FSR treatment beginning on July 22, 2013--going for 30 treatments

DianaTokio

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 03:13:08 am »
Please, tell me what you think, need your help!

The first day I noticed the rining (pulsatile) in my right ear was almost nine months ago after a long flight (more than 12 hrs in total), after two moths I went to a general doctor that prescribed me something with Ginko to improve my circulation and told me to go to an ENT if there was no improvement. So I did. ENT diagnosed with barotrauma, prescribed  steroids (took it for almost two months) but did not help much; also referred me with an audioneurologist (did a hearing test that resulted normal and suggested an MRI because I mentioned that I had head pressure to my right side (one time). There was a brief time that I thought my tinnitus went away but it came back within days.

I came across with this paper: http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/18/1/252.long (it's old, and all the participants from the study are older than me and I could not find what triggered tinnitus in them)

I am positive I have pulsatile tinnitus, I was not tested to know if it was objective or not, ENT nor audioneurologist did not seem to inquire much about it. Probably because is rare, and in my opinion I consider myself too young (24) to have carotid circulation problems, heart problems,  or hearing problems; but I guess you never  know. Can AN be caused by a barotrauma?

I have not done the MRI yet, but I plan to schedule it soon; and it will be good to know more, so I can go back with my ENT or audioneurologist to share this concern or just to look second and third opinions, because they never told me about it. I mean they told me that the ringing could be a sign of early hearing loss but was discarded after the normal hearing test that I had. I read about other cases where they were fine and the next day not; I don't want to loss my hearing! :s

mesafinn

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 01:19:50 pm »
I'm glad to read you will schedule your MRI soon.  I think this is your best next step.

I'm sorry to read about your pulsatile tinnitus.  I still have mine but a year later, I have gotten far more used to it, annoying as it is.

Your MRI should give you more answers.   I sincerely wish you the best!

Oct 2012:  Constant Pulsatile Tinnitus
Feb 28, 2013: Dx AN 1.4 cm X .9 mm
April 19, 2013:  GK at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

Some things in my life need to matter less, and other things in my life need to matter more.  So yes, I'm taking this as a "lesson learned experience."