Author Topic: Gamma Completed!  (Read 3323 times)

Echo

Gamma Completed!
« on: September 12, 2013, 11:28:50 am »
The big day is finally over and it was a long one.  I arrived at the hospital at 5:15 a.m., had the head frame on before 6 a.m., and ended up receiving treatment at 1 p.m.  One hour in the Gamma Knife machine and 1.5 hours in recovery prior to heading home. 

I did experience enough anxiety prior to having the head frame put on that I was given one Ativan which took the edge off for me. The frame was put on without any problems and I was surprised to find my entire skull felt frozen. I had expected only the area around the pin sites.  Mid morning I started to get a dull headache and felt nauseous, so I was given some Tylenol and something for the nausea through IV.
I need to wear glasses all day so having the frame on and being unable to wear them probably brought on the headache - everything was out of focus!  By the afternoon I was getting anxious again the closer it came to having treatment so I requested another Ativan. I wanted to be comfortable during the treatment and for when the head frame was removed.  (I have a low tolerance for drugs or meds but wanted to get through the day as comfortably as I could.) The hour in the Gamma Knife Machine was a non event.

Once out of the Gamma machine, and the head frame was removed the headache hit immediately. It started before the last screw came out and by the time I was wheeled into the recovery area it was severe along with the nausea. ( I'm prone to migraines and nausea so it didn't surprise me.)  I was very quickly given a narcotic pain med and more anti-nausea drugs both through IV and I slept for the next 1.5 hours while the meds did their work. Everyone was so kind and attentive ensuring I was made comfortable.

I was very groggy on the way home but managed a light meal and then went to bed. I slept well all night. Woke this morning still feeling slightly nauseous.  Took a gravol, slept all morning and now coming up to the 24 hour marker for receiving the Gamma, I have no headache, no nausea, the pin sites look good,  no leaking, no swelling and overall I feel pretty good.  There is tenderness where the pins were and I am finding the ice packs soothing.

Thanks for all the well wishes and tips! 
Cathie

Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Gamma Completed!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 11:40:59 am »
Cathie ~

Congratulations on completing your GK treatment!  I'm glad to learn that you're doing so well, so quickly.  Thanks for keeping us updated.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 11:42:04 am »
Welcome to the other side!  Now you are a post toastie!
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!

robinb

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 01:43:55 pm »
Hi Cathie-

So glad to see your positive post. Wishing you continued good health and a great GK outcome!
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

Echo

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 06:50:42 pm »
Thanks everyone for the encouraging messages.  It feels great to be on the other side of the fence - a postie toastie!  It's comforting to have this forum to share our experiences and find motivation. I'll keep updating as I recover and hopefully be able to help and encourage a few others along the way.  Right now it's time for another nap!

Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

Nank

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 04:49:21 pm »
Glad you had an overall good experience. 
1.3x0.7 cm AN in right ear
Diagnosed 6/12/13
Tinnitus, ear pain
No hearing loss
GK 7/25/13