Author Topic: Hearing Preservation, Mid to Large - LAST CALL  (Read 9284 times)

rachelnyc

Re: Hearing Preservation, Mid to Large - LAST CALL
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 10:38:00 pm »
Never heard if it. I'm curious to hear what you did out. I lost the hearing following retrosigmoid and I can relate to your thorough investigation of doctors who have expertise in hearing preservation. It's a huge loss for me.
Just keep one thing in mind. Tumors can be slightly larger than what the MRI or docs predict. Imaging said mine was 1.9. In fact my surgeons measured it at 2.5 during surgery. I don't know if this is common or not, but my expectations going into surgery were not met. I'm coping...
Left AN 2.5 cm
4 sudden hearing loss episodes with fullness and dizziness since 2008
Retrosigmoid 1/9/13 NYU Golfinos & Roland
Complete tumor removal but have SSD, facial palsy, external eye-lid weight (Blink-eze)

v357139

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 12:43:37 pm »
Thanks.  He said he has saved some this size, but not many.  I figure last chance to try for hearing.  If he does not give much chance, then I may go ahead and translab.  I get the general idea that translab is usually simpler, although seems also like it depends on who you talk to.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 01:35:09 pm »
My hearing was so bad, that translab was the easy decision. Since your hearing is still pretty good, that makes it much more difficult. Two doctors told me that people that have retro, usually loose that ear after about 5 years. I'm glad I did not have to make that choice, but I can tell you that being SSD is not all that bad. I have a BAHA and it is a wonderful device. I cannot locate where sound is coming from and that is the worst part. Other than that, life is good! There are posters here that had retro, and still have their hearing. Not trying to chase you away from that...just telling you what my doctors said. These ANs are a real roll of the dice.

James

v357139

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 12:39:17 pm »
Thanks.  This last doc did BAER test and said no chance of keeping hearing.  Is the translab really better, where hearing is not an option?  He still likes retro, for other reasons.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

MM

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 07:30:27 pm »
I hope I do not throw your decision up in the tizzy but when I read your post I felt I had to respond to let you know what my experience has been.  And I think you'll see how varied outcomes can be.

Had total hearing loss when my 2.5 x 2.3 x 2.5 cm AN was diagnosed.  Total hearing loss was sudden.  Had started noticing a slight hearing loss a few years prior to diagnosis.  Neuro-surgeon recommended GK. With GK had minor improvements in balance, facial movement and taste.  No change in hearing but developed double vision.  Two months after GK started having seizures, tumor had swelled to about 3.0 x 2.7 cm.  Lost consciousness a number of times, got placed on anti-seizure medication.  Neuro-opthamologist said high pressure causing optical nerve to swell thus double vision.  Neuro-surgeon recommended tumor removal as it was compressing brainstem even though tumor showed necrosis.  Checked into hospital that day, retrosigmoid surgery the next day, no time to research.  Tumor was debulked, it was sticking to the nerve and brainstem so it could not be completely removed.  Surgeon said the tumor center was liquid and outside was like orange rind so I think the GK was doing what it was supposed to do but maybe too good and swelling became a problem. 

Day after surgery noticed taste was quite improved and I told my husband "I don't know why I think this but I think I'm finally going to get better."  (After GK recovery was kind of up and down even though overall I thought I was getting better.)  Went home 3 days after retro surgery and was on the road to recovery.  Two and a half months later returned to work part-time and a couple weeks after that full time.

Two months after surgery started hearing very high pitched sounds -- birds chirping while I went for walks to gain strength and work on balance.  Five months later could hear a broader range.  Nine months later hearing was tested and was at 75%, considered mild-moderate hearing loss.  Now, at two years, hearing loss is still in the mild-moderate range but have tinnitus which has gotten "louder" in the last couple of months but is bearable.  I cannot complain as hearing was the one thing that all the doctors said would not recover.

At 16 months, tumor was down to 1.0 x 1.7 x 1.8 cm...may not seem like much but it looks shriveled in the MRIs. Two years later, am doing very well, no double vision, balance is good, taste (and weight) and facial movement are back.  Will be scheduling my two-year checkups soon.

Best of wishes to you on your decision.   
2/2011 GK for 2.5x2.3x2.5 AN - Bal & facial issues, loss of taste, total hearing loss. Developed double vision.
4/2011 Seizures from brainstem compres >> retrosig to debulk.
4/2012 Vision, balance, taste & face normal. Hearing at 70%.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 02:03:06 pm »
My doc did translab because it was a direct shot at removing all of the tumor. My hearing was not the issue...saving my face was a big deal. I would do it all over again. Being SSD is not all that bad. I was pretty close to it prior to the surgery, but I still had stereo hearing, and I miss that. My BAHA makes my life much better.