Author Topic: Hearing Preservation, Mid to Large - LAST CALL  (Read 9285 times)

v357139

Hearing Preservation, Mid to Large - LAST CALL
« on: March 26, 2013, 12:56:33 pm »
Does anyone know anyone who has had any success in preserving hearing for mid to large ANs, while also getting it all out?  Is that even possible?  Mine is 2.7cm, in the CB angle, also pressing on brainstem.  Hearing is still decent in that ear.  3 long months since diagnosis, and I am about ready to give up on hearing, and go with the doctor giving no chance to save hearing and wanting to translab for more direct facial nerve access.  But before I do, I'd like to make sure one last time, that I am not missing some doc who has had some success with hearing in ANs my size.  Thanks all.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Hearing Preservation, Mid to Large - LAST CALL
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 03:38:01 pm »
I don't think you missed anything.  To my knowledge, there is no doctor or procedure that can guarantee hearing retention following surgical removal of an acoustic neuroma of any size.  Obviously, the Middle Fossa and Retrosigmoid  surgical approaches offer the possibility of hearing retention but the odds are not terribly high and there are never any guarantees.  As you know,the Translab procedure eliminates the option of hearing retention altogether.  However, for most AN surgical patients, avoiding serious facial paralysis issues trumps hearing retention because with SSD, one can employ a BAHA to help compensate or simply adjust, as I have.  Facial mobility issues are often far more difficult to surmount and doing so takes some time.  The choice, of course, is yours as you will have to live with the results of your decision.  Whatever it may be, we'll support you and offer our hopes and prayers for a great surgical outcome  Please keep us updated.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

v357139

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 03:43:59 pm »
Thanks Jim.  I will be deciding soon.  Just looking for a chance on hearing, but haven't found any yet for my 2.7cm AN.  Any others out there?
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

mk

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 06:22:07 pm »
I think it is extremely rare. In all these years we have seen very few patients with ANs of this size who have retained some hearing after retrosigmoid. Certainly the odds for hearing preservation are not good so most doctors will tend to recommend the approach that they feel has the greatest chances of preserving the facial nerve.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

v357139

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 07:31:06 pm »
Thanks.  I thought I saw some hearing preservation with retrosigmoid on this site, but seems like almost impossible in ones above 2.5cm.  Does that sound right?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 08:45:28 pm »
Totally agree with Jim; no doc can guarantee you anything.

My AN was almost 3 cms and I chose retrosigmoid in the hopes that I could save my (diminished) hearing; my odds were 50/50.  During surgery my docs discovered my hearing nerve was wrapped around my AN, so in order to remove the entire AN they sacrificed my hearing nerve.  As a result, I am SSD (single-sided deaf).  I opted for a BAHA 9 months after my AN surgery and have never regretted it.

I can't recall anyone on the Forum who had a mid to large AN and kept their hearing.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

v357139

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 06:58:34 am »
Thanks.  ONe person in here told me they had 2.8cm and had hearing saved.  Just wondering if any more, or if  that was extremely rare once in a lifetime type of thing.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 07:21:22 am »
As Jim and Jan said, no doctor can guarantee hearing preservation before any treatment, be it surgery or radiation, they can only "give it their best shot."

My original AN was 2.6 cm at the time of retrosigmoid surgery.  I had approximately 80% of my hearing before surgery, 20% afterward, but with 100% speech discrimination so I successfully used a traditional air-conducted hearing aid until the tumor grew back three years later (very unusual following total removal), necessitating further treatment.  Because of my somewhat unusual situation, a second surgery was done (translab) and all hearing destroyed.  However, a bone-anchored hearing abutment was implanted at the same time as this second surgery.  I love my Oticon Medical Ponto Pro!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mk

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 10:01:05 am »
Thanks.  ONe person in here told me they had 2.8cm and had hearing saved.  Just wondering if any more, or if  that was extremely rare once in a lifetime type of thing.

Other than Clarice, who already responded to this thread, I remember only one more person from the forum with an AN of this size who had surgery with Dr. Akagami in Vancouver and had her hearing saved. So indeed it seems that it is  very rare.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

v357139

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 12:06:31 pm »
Does sound rare.  Just trying to cover all bases.  Hearing is the hump I need to get over, as most docs I met proposing translab, and hearing is still decent.  I do realize facial is more important.

alabamajane

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 12:46:34 pm »
I agree with all that hearing preservation is rare,, but location of the tumor is a very important aspect to be considered also ,,, I had about the same size tumor, good hearing and was recommended translab as it was very deep and pressing on brainstem,, and as you say that gives best view of facial nerve ,, but just as no guarantees can be given about hearing ,, the same goes for facial nerve,,, that was also my most important nerve to preserve; however, it was not to be,, so I had translab and still lost facial nerve,,
I just tell you this so you go into surgery knowing there are no guarantees ,,period,, there are Dr.s That will leave sliver of tumor on facial nerve to preserve it and radiate it or watch it later,, I just feel you need to hear from all sides,, not to scare you or dissuade you from any decisions you have made,,
Best of luck to you, we all care on here how things go with each of us as we are in "unique" situations,,  Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

PaulW

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 01:43:04 pm »
I believe hearing preservation for larger tumors is quite good using Cyberknife or Gamma Knife.. Around 50%
Facial nerve preservation approaching 100%
If hearing preservation is one of your goals, maybe further exploration of radiation is warranted.
Dr Kondziolka for Gamma Knife and Dr Chang for Cyberknife are two notable experts.

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

v357139

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 02:39:46 pm »
I agree with all that hearing preservation is rare,, but location of the tumor is a very important aspect to be considered also ,,, I had about the same size tumor, good hearing and was recommended translab as it was very deep and pressing on brainstem,, and as you say that gives best view of facial nerve ,, but just as no guarantees can be given about hearing ,, the same goes for facial nerve,,, that was also my most important nerve to preserve; however, it was not to be,, so I had translab and still lost facial nerve,,
I just tell you this so you go into surgery knowing there are no guarantees ,,period,, there are Dr.s That will leave sliver of tumor on facial nerve to preserve it and radiate it or watch it later,, I just feel you need to hear from all sides,, not to scare you or dissuade you from any decisions you have made,,
Best of luck to you, we all care on here how things go with each of us as we are in "unique" situations,,  Jane

I guess the answer is there are no guarantees.  Thanks.

v357139

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 02:41:16 pm »
I believe hearing preservation for larger tumors is quite good using Cyberknife or Gamma Knife.. Around 50%
Facial nerve preservation approaching 100%
If hearing preservation is one of your goals, maybe further exploration of radiation is warranted.
Dr Kondziolka for Gamma Knife and Dr Chang for Cyberknife are two notable experts.

All recommend surgery over GK due to size and location.  Thanks!

v357139

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 07:41:37 am »
Well just to leave no stone unturned, I am seeing a Dr. Kalmon Post at Mt Sinai.  Apparently he has some expertise in hearing preservation.  He also requires a BAER test, which no one else asked for, so I will learn something new.  Anyone have knowledge of DR Post?