Author Topic: Young adults on here?  (Read 4627 times)

nicole927

Young adults on here?
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:42:59 am »
Hi all! :) I'm 24 years old, fairly new to this forum, and I'm wondering if there are any fellow 20-somethings/30-somethings on here? My local support group is fantastic but everyone is older than I am and it would be nice to have a way to connect with people my age. Is there a part of this forum dedicated to younger people and I'm just missing it? I know ANs don't tend to effect younger people as often as they effect older people, so maybe I'm just in the minority here. I feel pretty alone in that respect.
Diagnosed on April 20, 2012 at age 23 with a 3mm acoustic neuroma in the left internal auditory canal

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Young adults on here?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 01:20:47 pm »
Welcome to the club, Nicole.

I'm pretty sure I've seen younger people posting on this site and you'll probably get some responses from them so just keep checking back on this thread.

Meantime, here's the member list.

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?action=mlist;sa=all

You can check member profiles one by one. Some members list their ages in their profiles.

Meantime, feel free to discuss your symptoms and options. Lots of great people here.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Blags

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 08:20:49 pm »
I'm 35 but still feel relatively young, :) I know of a few others on here in our early 30s.
Oct 2012 - 1.4cm AN removed retro sigmoid with Dr. Boockvar and Dr. Brown at Weill Cornell NY Presbyterian

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 10:02:12 pm »
hi, although I am now 45 I was 23 when my AN was found and removed.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Sam-NewZealand

• My Blog : Sams Snippets
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 02:34:38 am »
29 here
MRI on 16 Nov 2012 diagnosed - 29 years old!
Left AN 2.7 x 2.6 x 2.4 cm - pressing on brainstem & sensory nerve for face, full/numb ear feeling, constant tinnitus & major hearing loss in Left ear
7 hr AN surgery 25 Jan 2013
2 hr CSF Leak surgery 16 Feb
SSD Left, dry eye & slight Facial Nerve Damamge

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 05:42:00 am »
Hi

A few years ago, we had a young 3-some going through AN treatments at approximately the same time.... ranging in ages from 16 to 22.  There are some young folks here that have endured the AN journey. 

As for me..... all I'll say is that I was in my 40s at time of diagnosis/treatment.  Today, of all days, I'm back in my 20's :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nicole927

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 07:49:25 am »
It's just good to know I'm not alone in my age range! I usually feel like the odd one out because I haven't come across people my age who have/had an acoustic neuroma.
Diagnosed on April 20, 2012 at age 23 with a 3mm acoustic neuroma in the left internal auditory canal

sarahinPA

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 10:17:21 am »
Hi Nicole!

I am 28 years old, was diagnosed with my AN in 2008 right before my 24th birthday. At that time I decided to have Gamma Knife done at UPMC in Pittsburgh with Dr. Kondziolka (hes now in NY)  GK was January 2009. In November 2010 I started to have increased symptoms, resulting in MRI's sooner than later, and discovering regrowth, which is about a 2% chance after GK. In July of 2011 I decided to have Surgery at UPMC with Dr. Paul Gardner. Surgery did leave me single sided deaf, which for me isnt too big of a deal most of the time, and ive become used to it. I do not have facial paralysis as the doctors left a small bit of the tumor on my facial nerve to save my facial movement. They left about the size of a thumb nail. I had my difficulties after surgery, but now, about a year and  ahalf later I feel great and am doing wonderful!! 

During this journey I did meet another girl around my age who lived near me, we became wonderful friends. She had surgeries from the same doctor as I did. She was an amazing support for me. I'd be happy to discuss further, feel free to PM me.

This forum is wonderful and there are so many helpful people, although younger AN patients are harder to find, they are out there and I understand your want to connect with us, as I personally feel it makes for a different connection.

Good luck, hope to hear from you soon!
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

nicole927

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 10:25:21 pm »
Hi Sarah! It does make for a different connection, particularly because I'm a watch and wait patient not seeking any intervention for the time being (knock on wood). My local support group is made up of older people who all had their surgeries/radiation/etc awhile back, and I'm by far the youngest group member and I haven't had anything done. They're a fantastic group of people but I do feel a little out of place for that reason. I wish there was a way for younger people to come together and connect, but then again as you said, younger AN patients are hard to find! Thanks for responding, Sarah :)

Nicole