Author Topic: 12 days post-translab surgery; info re recovery and rehab from fellow athletes  (Read 9798 times)

Big Steve

Best o' luck with surgery, Robert.  Keep us posted.  As a surfer you've exercised your vestibular mechanism more than most.  That should come in handy during your rehab.

I hear ya about being dizzy.  I had vertigo for 3-1/2 months before surgery.  Now it's great to wake up and not see the bedroom ceiling spinning, not needing to hang on to the walls when I get up in the middle of the night to take a pee :D and not getting motion sick every other day.

I mixed in some jogging with my run this morning.  Felt great!
Sudden SSD (right side) 11/08 (erroneously diagnosed as caused by virus)
Chronic vertigo commenced 10/12
Intracochlear neuroma diagnosed via MRI 12/2012
Neuroma and right side cochlea/vestibular mechanism removed 01/15/13 via translabrynthine approach

cindyj

Wow, right after I wrote the last entry I followed the links that Cindy gave. What a true inspiration for us all.

Robert, you should get in touch with Bob (stoneaxe) the paddleboarder from one of the stories above - he would love to talk with you, I'm sure. As Steve points out, your history of surfing should be a big plus for your post op recovery. 

Steve, awesome that you were able to add some jogging in!  Keep it up (as well as some nice naps also, though :) ).

I also (as have others around here) suffered from debilitating vertigo off and on for years prior to my diagnosis...haven't had an episode since AN removal - so nice!  But to give full disclosure ;), I do still have some periodic/momentary wonky head issues, but they do not keep me from going about daily life as the vertigo did.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

wiscyrunner

Newbie here, although I've read many of the posts this is the first one I've replied to, the subject matter hit close to home for me.  Up until recently the only forums I posted on were running related 
I was diagnosed with an AN in December & in June will have surgery at Mayo.
As a very active female athlete it was encouraging to see how quickly the original poster was able to resume activity.  I realize that everyone recovers differently from surgery,  my hope is that if I approach surgery with the same mindset as training to PR in a marathon it will help speed my recovery so that I can eventually resume the lifestyle I'm used to.

Pushing yourself physically on a regular basis not only strengthens the body but the mind, in order for me to get through recovery I think it's going to take a lot of both.

As many others have said, the information & support found on this site has been very valuable to me.     I'm sure in the months both prior & post surgery I will be a regular visitor here.  In the meantime I'll keep logging the miles, whacking the tennis ball, pedaling the bike & maintaining a positive attitude.

Anne

Big Steve

Welcome, Anne.  Great to hear from a fellow distance runner -- my marathon PR days are long behind me so I'm more of a shuffler these days.  ;)   Glad that you are able to get out between now and your surgery, and that you'll be fit going into surgery.

Gotta go.  Heading out the door to jog a few miles.  ;D 
Sudden SSD (right side) 11/08 (erroneously diagnosed as caused by virus)
Chronic vertigo commenced 10/12
Intracochlear neuroma diagnosed via MRI 12/2012
Neuroma and right side cochlea/vestibular mechanism removed 01/15/13 via translabrynthine approach