Author Topic: 12 days post-translab surgery; info re recovery and rehab from fellow athletes  (Read 9799 times)

Big Steve

Hello,

Today is my 12th day after translabrythine surgery.

Prior to and after surgery I have read numerous posts on the ANA forum.  Thanks to all for contributing to this valuable resource.

I am 56 y.o. practicing attorney and have an athletic background, long time mountain traveler, skier and ultrarunner.  Spending time in the mountains and nature has been a very important part of my life, and I want to get back up there!

I am optimistic, but tempering my expectations with reality.  I am hopeful of getting back into the mountains this summer, but I will not predict at what level.  I am taking two or three urban walks per day, up to 8 miles total walking per day.  Doing lots of looking around as I walk to supplement my vestibular rehab.  Balance has improved to a bit better than pre-op vertigo (which was getting steadily worse).  Still generally wonky and heavy headed, and quite fatigued by the end of each day. 

Thanks for any info you can throw my way.

Steve Loitz
Seattle, WA
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 06:08:57 pm by Big Steve »
Sudden SSD (right side) 11/08 (erroneously diagnosed as caused by virus)
Chronic vertigo commenced 10/12
Intracochlear neuroma diagnosed via MRI 12/2012
Neuroma and right side cochlea/vestibular mechanism removed 01/15/13 via translabrynthine approach

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Hi, Steve ~

Thanks for your contribution to the ANA discussion forums - and congratulations on your successful AN surgery.

Your athletic background and physical fitness is certainly an asset in surgery recovery.  Your 8-mile daily walks are far more than most of us attempt less than 2 weeks post-surgery, so you are to be commended for your fitness and determination to fully recover. You mention fatigue and 'wonky-head' and frankly, these are fairly typical post-op and have a good chance of disappearing, in time.  I have found that, assuming no real surgical complications interfered, AN surgery recovery is greatly helped by being fit and being determined to 'get back'.  I was and did, although I was not quite as ambitious with my daily walks as you are (a mere 2 miles per day the first two weeks post-op).  I was driving within a fortnight of my hospital release and was pretty much back to normal within a few months, although fatigue still makes an appearance when I overdo it.

Although I have no recovery-related tips to share I believe it's safe to predict that at this pace, you're on track to a rapid and complete recovery.  Well done, Counselor!  :)

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

millie

Hello Steve-
I am in awe of your progress.  Twelve days post-op I was still lying on the sofa trying to focus my left eye!   That you are walking eight miles is amazing to me.  I too am determined to get my old life back (yes I have SSD and  fullhead and pressure- are those the "wonkies"?) and you certainly are an inspiration for me to try harder.
Please take  good care of yourself.
Mil

mikechinnock

Hello Steve ... I too am amazed at your recovery efforts thus far. I was in the hospital 30 days after my first surgery. I doubt I could walk 8 miles today, 33 years later. I think a lot depends upon which nerves were impacted by the tumor, which were roughed up and which were damaged/destroyed during the surgery and whether, or not the hypothalamus and brain stem were impacted by the tumor. From you quick recovery to walking 8 miles I presume that your AN was relatively small. I think that really helps with regards to not only recovery, but quick recovery.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

cindyj

Hi, Steve!  I will also say "wow" to you being able to walk so far so soon after your surgery!  Walking is probably one of the best things to do post op and you have certainly taken that to a new level!  I had a pretty good recovery, but was only walking a fraction of that at 12 days post op. 

There are many here who have gone back to some very intensive physical activities and training.  You can see some inspiring stories on the two threads below. 

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=8379.0;topicseen

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=11646.

I myself was pretty quick to get back on the tennis court, in the gym and training for 1/2 marathons and I have not stopped ;D

Best to you as you continue your recovery - keep us posted,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Big Steve

Thanks for those links, Cindy.  Great stuff! 

Mike, I believe my AN was around 3.5cm.  The surgeon said it was twice as large as the MRI had indicated.  I am fortunate that surgery didn't beat me up any more than it did. 

Today was less comfortable, maybe because I just tapered off the post-op steroids.  Two 3-mile walks today.   Saw a pair of Townsend's Warblers (uncommon this time of the year in Seattle), Yellow-rumped Warblers, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Varied Thrush and the usual suspects.
Neuroma and right side cochlea/vestibular mechanism removed 01/15/13 via translabrynthine approach

Seal

Big Steve,

I don't think you need any advice because you are WAY ahead of the normal curve!    You also have a few things going on that is helping a quick recovery.   #1 - you were already in good shape physically which only helps the body mend faster - #2 - your balance had already been gone for quite sometime and your brain has already learned how to compensate for the loss of the vestibular nerve.  #3 - you seem to be very determined to return to your former pastimes ----- which you definitely will!     Here is my journey after the operation, and this may give you some idea of time frames for progress.

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=8639.0

The only thing you probably already know is to listen to your body and get it the rest it needs.    You'll see continued improvement throughout the coming next, even year and a half.     Welcome to the other side!

SteveK

PS: I do everything I did before the operation and more!
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

sarahinPA

Congratulations on such a speedy recovery thus far!!

In my experience, I was hospitalized for 11 days after surgery due to complications, but about 15 days post op I was walking in the park short disctances, and gradually extending the time. I was exhausted after each walk, but my strength started to come back.

Just work at your own pace, which appears to be fast. About 2 months after surgery I did take a small kayak trip down a shallow calm river. I lasted about 30 minutes before jumping in my dads canoe, and handing my paddle off to my little sister. But it was progress and my doctors were shocked, but happy!

I have returned to kayaking, biking, hiking, and resuming all of my regular activites, I do lnotice that lifting heavier items does cause me to develop fullness in my head and slight headaches that go away within a few minutes.
I even rode some roller coasters this past summer (1 year post op) and Although they made me a little dizzy and a little fullness, I felt pretty good.

Go with what feels right to you, consult doctors if needed, and dont push yourself too much! Good luck and happy recovery!
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

Big Steve

Thanks for the thoughts, Sarah, and thanks to SteveK for that link.  Yes, I see that the rehab curve varies from person to person, and I am indeed thankful that my curve is a steep one.

I read the "good days and bad days" thread.  Yesterday was the worst day I've had in awhile -- headache all day -- although I nonetheless walked 5+ miles and got in a half day of work.  My belly fat graft incision was not healing well so the doc had to clean it out and repack it.  Gonna be awhile before I'm wearing a big backpack!  But, hey, that was probably a couple months off with or without this minor complication.  I am thankful that my partner Anita is an ARNP and can do the daily packing and dressing.

I have set a best-scenario goal of doing the classic Bailey Range Traverse with Anita this summer.  I did it (via a glacier traverse over the Mt. Olympus massif) with my buds in 2002.  But I won't be too disappointed if I am only able to do mellower high routes -- or even if I need to stick to the trails --  this summer.  Gotta temper those expectations.  ;D

Thanks again for the contributors to this thread.  This a great community.  So glad that I found this resource.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 11:17:37 am by Big Steve »

jamssp

Wow!  You guys are a real inspiration!  I'm very active (love to run, bike, swim, etc) and I'm scheduled for surgery on March 14.  I'm hoping to be up and walking outside soon and resuming at least in part, some of my usual athletic activities by the summer, though as was mentioned in an earlier post, I need to temper those expectations with reality... Great job and congratulations on such an excellent recovery!

Mary
2 cm AN, Translab March 2013, Dr's. Gutin & Selesnick, Memorial Sloan Kettering, NY.
SSD but otherwise doing great!

ramirezjrj

Hi all,  I am 14 days post op (surgery on 01/23/2013), had a 5cm removed from my left side.  Ive had SSD for over two years and was in the "watch and wait" mode. I am a master prepared RN with 25 yrs. exp and I thought I was going into this surgery with very realistic expectations.  I was discharged 2 days post-op without any complications and everything seemed normal until a few days ago,  I woke up with complete left side facial paralysis and my left eye lid will not close or blink.  I am also staring to have balance issues.    I've never been sick a day in my life and in great shape.   Im not a very patient person and anxious to get back to work.    Any suggestions on the eye issues?   
Left sided AN, diag in 2011
surgery on 01/23/2013, Methodist Hospital
tumor 2.4cm,  No hearing on left side

ghenier27

Well I am not an athletic type but I had the same type of results-sort of. I too was walking blocks within days after surgery. I was driving with in a week after surgery around the neighborhood. One and half weeks after surgery, I was going to Publix and shopping in those electic carts. Four weeks after surgery, I was lifting my 130 pound disabled daughter in and out of wheelchair, bed and so on. Just had my 3 year check up, still free and it seems like a life time ago since this happen to me. I am now considered cured. It is my belief that everyone is different. I hardly used pain medince because I was in such a hurry to get back to my old self. I was taking a 1/2 pain tablet once a day. Now I did wear myself out easy but I would take a nap and get back and keep going. My doctor called me his poster child for this surgery. Take care and keep going your doing great!

Big Steve

Mary, I wish you all the best!  Keep us posted.

ramirezjrj, I hope that is only a temporary setback.  Yes, the post-surgery tests one's patience.  Be strong, my friend.

gheiner, good stuff  :)

robertb

Thanks for that post Steve. Amazing that you can walk that far so soon and an inspiration. I am scheduled for translab surgery at Kaiser San Diego with Dr. Cueva on Feb. 27th. Been dizzy (that is kind of an understatement) for 4+ months now. Chemical Labrinthectomy treatment had a little effect (eased the tremendous head pressure) but not enough and I'm just tired of being dizzy all day. I'm 62. Before my dizzies I surfed the Northern California coast at least 4 mornings per week (before work -weather dependent) and am hoping to be able to surf again but according to most post surgery accounts, maybe I should lower my expectations. Boogy board might have to do. Please keep posting with your recovery process. I know everyone is different but a road map with multiple paths helps. rb
"Everybody's got plans... until they get hit".- Mike Tyson 
11mm AN diagnosed Nov. 2012, Severe hearing loss, always dizzy. Gentamicin injections, still dizzy, Translab surgery scheduled 2-27-13

robertb

Wow, right after I wrote the last entry I followed the links that Cindy gave. What a true inspiration for us all.
"Everybody's got plans... until they get hit".- Mike Tyson 
11mm AN diagnosed Nov. 2012, Severe hearing loss, always dizzy. Gentamicin injections, still dizzy, Translab surgery scheduled 2-27-13