Author Topic: Balance Issues and Driving.  (Read 20965 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Balance Issues and Driving.
« on: August 24, 2006, 10:59:25 am »
Well, now all you Wen....er, I mean professional and mature ladies and gentlemen, now this is really AN related! People have balance issues both pre-and post-op, radio and micro, so this thread ended up here. 

I was driving to the post office to mail out another batch of you-know-whats to you-know-who, and was driving on my one-lane dir curvy road and was just tottlein along and around a blind curve comes, my neighbor! Well, I may have been going a tad faster than my usual snail's pace and they had just graded the road, which makes it really skiddy for a day or two but gets rid of the gigantic potholes. I whip my head one way to wave, then whip my head the other to make sure my tires are still on the road, and screeeeeee! Starboard tires right off the road.  And in a reall bad place--the road drops off about  15 feet into the bushes.  Well, I stop, but my car just decided it would move sideways all on it's own until I got my port wheels pretty nearly in the air, and the you-know what's are sliding offa the seat and onto the deck. This JUST happened about 45 minutes ago and I'm still a little shaken

I can't help but think that in that millisecond that it takes for my "new" eyes to refocus, and that 10 degree list that my broken internal gyroscope failed to notice is the reason I'm out the $65 for the tow truck.  My poor neighbor was way more upset than me, the poor dear. I tried to put it in 4 wheel and back out (ey, being a mountain/island girl, I've been in a few ditches) but the car slid about another foot and was reaching the roll-over limit, so I got out.  Well, I was just going to the PO and didn't have my cell, so My neighbor lent me hers and I called the tow truck and she left her husband to "babysit" me while she went off to work.

The tow truck was there in 15 and I was outta the ditch in 10. I guess I learned a great $65 lesson-absolutely creep around that blind curve. You know in the Islands they blow their horns before those curves (any excuse to make some noise--it's the West Indian way) and I'm ready to start doing the same.

Beep! Beep!

Capt Deb  :P
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Laura

Re: Balance Issues and Driving.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 11:09:22 am »
Thank goodness everyone came out of the ordeal with nothing more than an increased heart rate and a $65.00 towing bill.  :o

Hopefully you used your arm deo before heading out to the PO!  ;)
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 12:00:05 pm »
Well, see, that's why I'm not sure I'm up to trying driving yet.  I do that walking now, and I'm sure it would be more pronounced driving.  I also have the feeling that if an accident happened in front of me, I'd take about 30 seconds longer to figure out what to do about it, meaning I'd be joining them!  I've got the list and the delayed reaction thing going. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

pattibobatti

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 12:18:53 pm »
Hey there Gennysmom,

Boy, does that bring back a forgotten memory.  To know your reaction time is off can be scary..  I was very determined to drive when I started feeling better. I went to Calloways nursery (2miles away) and pretended to be so 'normal'.  Didn't work.  The man at the check out kept trying to 'help' me  and get me out of there.  That was back when I looked exhausted after about 5 minutes of doing anything....WOW, I'm doing really good now!!

OH, I told Grace all about Jenny!  Time to clean up the sunroom.  She is a pig.

Pattibobatti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

Survival Nate

• TravAddic
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 12:26:27 pm »
Driving is a new art after AN destroys the nerve, I tell my wife I feel like a drunk driving by the police station. Im thinking of every move and staring straight ahead, i dont dare turn my head to fast (when I do its disater) luckly I have new been stopped (im not drunk officer I swear as I fall on my face walking the line), Capt Deb  be careful please lol ;D

Nate
at age 21yo
AN 5.05cm removed Feb 2005
Gamma Knifed July 2005
at age 31yo
AN regrowth @ 1.5cm - 2014
Pituitary Gland tumor 2mm
https://www.travaddic.com/

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 01:36:19 pm »
My driving has vastly improved since surgery. I remember that before my surgery, the second my eyes shifted away from the front - without even turning my head -  I'd lose it and start swerving.  People would accuse me of being a lousy driver and even laugh at me.
Even though I've always been a good driver.

If there's anything I've learned about human nature it's the propensity for others to diligently search for almost absolutely anything to get a leg up on you, so as to leverage themselves above you so as to feel better about themselves.  I had people literally laughing at me even though my life was in danger from having a brain tumor - but that's another story. This dynamic has somewhat forced me to adopt Sun Tsu (The Art Of War) and Machiavelli (The Prince) as my new gospel or bible. It's like what Taylor (Charlton Heston) says to Dr. Zaius (Maurice Evans) in "Planet Of The Apes": "On this planet, it's easy!".

Am I completely out of the woods since healing up from surgery? NO WAY!! I still have some equilibrium issues and have to be careful!
Especially having total left side deafness which only compounds the difficulty. Things can sneak up on you that you would ordinarily hear coming toward you at a distance. We must remain extra vigilant!

with love and great disillusionment,  St. Paul DeBall
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 01:54:41 pm »
Oh, and Capt'n Deb, I glad you weren't injured in that little mishap you had today. Sometimes, when things like that happen, and nothing really bad happens, it only forces us to be more vigilant and preventative in the future. It's only natural that we let our guard down after long stretches of peace and serenity.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 02:05:25 pm »
Captain Deb,
  You been on that ship too long, forgot how to drive a car.  I haven't posted in a few days, wew! what a storm I missed. glad I wasn't interviewing for a job with all that lack of professionalism and maturity and all.  Now get outa that car since you can't seem to drive it anyhow and back on the ship.

Almost 2 yrs post op, driving is always a challenge. I also live in the mountains, the curvy roads give me instant nausea/vertigo, I have to really concentrate on the driving, no distractions. God forbid my klids should have a squabble in the back seat whil I'm driving. I can't go to far either. I have mad it almost  2 hours this summer on flat interstate hwy. By the time I decided I'd had enough, My brain felt like a hamster running round and round on one of those little runner exercisers in their cages.  Although being a passenger is worse than driving.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 02:15:11 pm »
Deb OH MY!  I had a near miss the other day and it left me shaking and ready to cry!  I've def learned to limit my driving to the pharmacy on a clear night and no long distance driving...oh and I never wave to anyone unless my car is stopped!  I still laugh about the post op driving test I passed...if I had to turn my head I would have failed miserably and still would LOL  The state would take my license away :o(  So glad you were not hurt!
Good reminder for us all!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 02:41:20 pm »
Thank goodness your ok!!!

On my recent trip to Italy I drove about 700km !!!  8) Some high speed highways to curvy wine country roads, many "normal" people here at work thought I was crazy for doing so ... the secret is .. I have changed the way I drive ... I can't drink, eat, phone, or anything while I'm driving, its like my hands forgot to drive .. I used to be able to look at street signs or glance to my left or right .. I can't seem to do that anymore .. the car starts to wander off  :o...very quickly .... otherwise, I'm ok! ..

I think because my sense of balance and where my hands are in relation to my body is difference now since I'm minis one ear ... in much the same way I need to look where I'm walking ... if I walking in a river fishing or something and start to look at my feet .. I get in trouble ... I need the visual frame of reference when I'm driving or walking .. and highway speeds it does not take much!!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 02:55:34 pm »
Capt,
  To quote Robert Earl Keen:

Sometimes I don't know what I'm doin'
 'Cause sometimes all my days are filled with rain.
As I travel down life's highway, things ain't goin' my way
 'Cause there's always someone swervin' in my lane.
CHORUS:
You keep a-swervin' in my lane, and it's causin' lots of danger.
I'm a-honkin' on my horn. I'm a-shootin' you the finger.
 I keep a-switchin' on my bright lights, but you're just too dim to know
 When you're swervin' on life's highway, you're runnin' someone off the road.

Glad you're OK.  Tell your neighbor to quite swervin' in your lane.
 Rob
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 03:03:32 pm by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

matti

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 03:31:00 pm »
That was very scary, glad you are OK Deb. 

I really miss the relaxation and enjoyment I used to get from driving. Pre-AN I drove everywhere, now I stay fairly close to home and no night driving.

Cheryl
Wonky-headed driver
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 04:02:18 pm »
Capt. Deb, glad you are shaken, not stirred.  I asked my husband for a driver and he said he didn't know I played golf!  I picked out a cute one but he said absolutely not. I don't drive anymore than I absolutely have to and on the Gulf Freeway with all of the construction here in Texas, you don't have to have many excuses to stay home!  Curvey roads make me homesick and dizzy errrrrrrr dizzier!
Glad you weren't hurt.  Be sure to check on the neighbors heart rate!
Brendao ::)
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

cinnamon

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 04:15:12 pm »
That sounds really scary Capt Deb- Thank god you are okay. It's been 5 weeks ago today since I had my surgery and I can't wait to drive again. I was always so independent. I wouldn't trust myself for the world to drive right now though. I am concerned about what it will be like though. I always would talk on my cell and eat on occasions. I will just have to change my habits. I have some pretty curvy roads where I live so I will think of you when I start to drive. Be careful driving ;D

Lisa
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

sherry2626

• Life Is Good
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 06:40:51 pm »
[size=12pt][/size]
Glad to see you are OK....  :)

Sherry
Diagnosed July 30th 2006
AN Left Side 1cm Length
35% Hearing Loss
Wait & Watch