Author Topic: 11 months post op Translab HEI  (Read 3896 times)

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
11 months post op Translab HEI
« on: December 28, 2012, 04:38:00 pm »
Hi Everyone!!!!  How are you all?  First of all, I wanted to say how greatful I am that you were there when I got my dx about a year ago, helped me through my surgery with questions and recommendations and then, of course, through my recovery.  I had Translab surgery for a 1.6 cm AN 1-25-12 with Friedman / Shwartz at HEI Los Angeles.  They left a small piece or casing in order to preserve my facial nerve.  I have had 2 follow up MRI's and I am excited to share that the last one could barely detect any pieces left!!!  I  have no facial issues and just a few balance things that pop up every now and again.  I live with tinnitus and SSD but I am going to UCSF in a few weeks to get or start my sound bite process!!!  I do not regret surgery....at all.  I am happy, healthy, and greatful.  When things come up...I deal with them.  I try to help others and keep on trucking raising our six kids at home!!!  The worst part of my an experience was from dx to the day of surgery, after that the stress was gone and the determination to recover kicked in.  I am here if anyone has questions.  Happy New Year to my old and new An family.
 ;D
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 11 months post op Translab HEI
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 05:26:47 pm »
Steph ~

Thanks for that delightful, positive update!

I'm so pleased to learn how well you're doing and appreciate that you're sharing the good news with us. 

I trust things will continue to get better for you as we enter a brand new year!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

davecz

• Magic Scarf Ride
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 02:10:48 am »
Hi Steph

Yay! For you. Great to read another positive and encouraging update. I had the same outstanding surgical team as you and pretty much feel the same about them. They do great work. Anyway, so good to hear you are doing so well. Keep up the awesome attitude. You're certainly right about having a good attitude. Very important.

Take care. And keep on living.

Davecz
Diagnosed 11/23/2011, R-AN, 3.0cm, Age: 51, very
athletic, symptoms; Sudden hearing loss R Ear, balance
 issues, fatigue, tinnitus. Surgery HEI, 04/27/2012, Dr.
Friedman & Swartz. Post op, translab, 100% tumor removal,
Facial nerve intact, no balance issues, released 3 days post op,
Doing grea

stephSF

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:12:22 pm »
Dave and Jim, thanks for the support
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 10:24:49 am »
It is so comforting and reassuring to read all of the success stories on this forum.  Sometimes we focus too much on the more unusual poor outcomes.  Thankfully new research, new techniques, and more experience are contributing greatly to our positive outcomes.

Congratulations!

Clarice

(I do have to agree your surgical team is outstanding!  ;D)
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

millie

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 08:12:12 am »
Thanks so much for sharing your positive outcome and progress.  I am hopeful things will improve for me too; I had translab at NYU October 17th.  Am dealing with the fullheaded feeling.  I am trying to whip it by walking more as my doctor recommended on Jan 7th.  My facial nerve is repairing as I have a lot more movement on the an side.  I just hope the fullness goes away...it is tiring.  I tried driving a quiet road yesterday...it is good to be really mobile again.  Getting tested for the soundbite too January 23rd and see a physical therapist to speed my face along tomorrow.
Thanks again for the encouragement.  Millie

stephSF

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 11:08:35 pm »
Clarice, I will always have a special place for you in my heart because when I was spazzing out of control after my dx, you were there......supporting, encouraging etc.  that meant so much to me!! Millie, I still have the fullness feeling or wonki sometimes but nothing like early on.  I really think a lot of it gets better as time goes on, or you work your recovery!   I will be one year post op on Jan 25 th and I am still glad I had the surgery, super glad to have chosen the best surgical team I could, and I am happy, healthy, and functional. 

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 08:26:12 am »
That's why this forum exists, Steph .....   :) :)  Others supported me during my panic phase.  So glad you are having a good, uneventful recovery!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

millie

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 03:20:17 pm »
Thanks Steve and Clarice and all the other angels on this forum.  We need to hear it will get better and we can do this and we are not alone.  Again, thanks for the  hope.
Millie

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 02:49:57 pm »
Yeahhhhh Steph. I have been thinking of you because I know its almost 1 year post op for you. I know your doing well because I see ya on FB...LOL
Big hugs to you and to everyone!!!!!!!  ;D

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012