Author Topic: About to Lose my Stinkin Mind  (Read 3256 times)

ejalinske

About to Lose my Stinkin Mind
« on: December 14, 2012, 07:22:00 pm »
So I had surgery on a schwannoma two weeks ago today.  I had a nerve graft.  The right side of my face is paralyzed temporarily until the nerve function starts to take.  Simply stated, I am starting a new job in early January and am concerned about my co-worker and client perceptions.  I am a management consultant and client interaction is a big part of my career.  I've learned that people tend not to care as much as you think they do, but I can't get over being self conscious.  Any thoughts about dealing with this?  Many thanks to everyone!

Kathleen_Mc

Re: About to Lose my Stinkin Mind
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 02:18:28 am »
Over the years I have tried different methods to attack this, from right out telling people my issues without asking to just carring on like I'm no different that anyone else......each has had various outcomes....I have been perceived as "whining, making excuses to not do work, professional, crazy" but the best yet was a coworker who accused me of lying about being hearing impaired! (that took the cake, she thought I was lying to get out of doing work!). You just need to do this the way it feels best for you.Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

millie

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 07:24:11 pm »
Hi-I had translab October 17th and had some facial droop due to facial nerve recovery ...it has gotten better...it takes time...  When I felt comfortable to go out and about, I just told people I looked a little funny because I was recovering from brain surgery and I was getting better.  People are pretty supportive... some people say they didn't even see anything wrong with my face.
As for the hearing issue, I was on a checkout  line once and told the salesgirl and a lady that I accidentally cut ahead of that I was sorry, I had made the mistake due to not hearing in my left ear.  They didn't believe me.  That's okay; lack of compassion is their problem not mine and I will probably never see them again.

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 09:56:58 pm »
you can just tell them you had a bit of surgery and the face needs time to recover. i'm a college prof so i had to stand in front of my 4 classes of 25 , 4weeks post op.......

i found an easy answer was always best. Now the folks who went up and asked me or wife if i had a stroke ? i just said no, surgery. and they left it at that. cause i certainly didn't look good for a few months
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

millie

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 08:16:46 pm »
Thanks-it's two months now for me, so I will be more patient.
Sort of off the topic, but what do you teach?  How are your energy levels-also, how is your vision and reading?